My new C Class Elegance Edition 125

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldfish11

Car
C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
After seeing Gr4z's lovely C350 I thought I should share my new C Class.

It is an C220 Elegance semi Sport Edition 125 ;) My logic when specifing it was. I like the Elegance interior was not so keen on the front exterior so specified the Elegance and then stuck on the Intelligent Lighting which saved me some cash over going for the Sport :thumb: This then meant I went a little mad and fitted: Multi contour seat package, Lane tracking and blind spot assist, Heated seats, Harmon Kardon, DAB, Heated Washer Jets, Fire Extinguisher and mud flaps. The other stuff on the sport like the flappy paddles and AMG bits although fun on my lanes and motorway journey would not be used as the other bits. It is in Palladium Silver. Also the wheels, fitted the 16" (no cost option) :eek: Why you ask? It means my road tax is now free for the first year and only £95 after that. And my fuel economy over the first 1200 miles (3 weeks) is 55mpg :thumb: Also the 17" are just the same design so you cannot tell the difference unless you put two cars next to each other.

I love the front the Elegance Grill with the long led strips and bumper makes it look quite aggressive.:D I suspect some sports drivers will be switching grills.

Why the Elegance and not the Sport - I do about 100miles a day going to work on the motorway and the Sport was great but the Elegance is just so Smooooooth :D

Attachments

• MB-W204-A.jpg
    MB-W204-A.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 216
  • MB-W204-B.jpg
    MB-W204-B.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 212
  • MB-W204-C.jpg
    MB-W204-C.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Some more pictures

A couple more and a picture of my lovely Alpaca interior.

PS The 7G gear box is fantastic and I love Comand Online and speedlimit assist.

Attachments

• MB-W204-D.jpg
    MB-W204-D.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 206
  • MB-W204-E.jpg
    MB-W204-E.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 203
  • Mercedes-Edit-F.jpg
    Mercedes-Edit-F.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I prefer the new elegance to the sport myself,nice looking c class congrats:thumb:

lovely what does speed limit assist have over the old speed limiter?

It reads signs for you and tells you in dash, in the old speedtronic system you actually had to workout the speed limit for yourself....

I like Goldfishes reasoning for speccing the car the way he did, I would spec it completely differently (sport spec with 17 inch wheels) but the type of driving I do is completely different.

What I am trying to say its refreshing to see a car being spec'd up for what the owner wants and needs, not whats best for resale in 3 years time.

lovely what does speed limit assist have over the old speed limiter?

Speed limit assist uses a camera in the windscreen to read the road signs and display the speed limit in the central console and also on the Comand. This means if you drive into road works or are going around town where speed limits change quite a bit you get a little reminder. I am amazed at how effective it is and it saved me in Southampton when I went down the other day and was trying to find my way around.

You still get the speed limiter and cruise lever.

Speed limit assist uses a camera in the windscreen to read the road signs and display the speed limit in the central console and also on the Comand. This means if you drive into road works or are going around town where speed limits change quite a bit you get a little reminder. I am amazed at how effective it is and it saved me in Southampton when I went down the other day and was trying to find my way around.

You still get the speed limiter and cruise lever.

Can you get the speed limit assist to operate the speed limiter?

Nice car in a nice spec :thumb:

I too went for the Elegance rather than the Sport for pretty much the same reasons when I had my W204. I chose the Avantgarde over the Sport for my W212 as well.

Well done for choosing the spec you want rather than just going with the sheeple.

It reads signs for you and tells you in dash, in the old speedtronic system you actually had to workout the speed limit for yourself....

I like Goldfishes reasoning for speccing the car the way he did, I would spec it completely differently (sport spec with 17 inch wheels) but the type of driving I do is completely different.

What I am trying to say its refreshing to see a car being spec'd up for what the owner wants and needs, not whats best for resale in 3 years time.

"Buy the car for the journey you do the most" has always been my moto.

A sports car on a motorway in the UK is not as comfortable and fun as this.

The C220 is 170 bhp and has a top speed of 144mph with 0 to 62 of 8.1 seconds on the 7G this is plenty of power for me (and the M1)

If I did loads of A road driving I would have gone for the sport and as for resale, I have basically concluded all cars are worthless in this country in 4 years. I kept my E Class 8 years and will try to keep this going. I do have access to our SLK which is in the garage when I have those "Sport" urges. But an SLK on a motorway is not much fun.

With regards to the options, I generally spend more time sitting in my car than in my living room so I am happy to spend more on the car hifi and nice seats.

Last edited:
Can you get the speed limit assist to operate the speed limiter?

Interesting question - not sure. I don't think they are connected but I will have to take a look in the manual.

Nice car, I prefer the Elegance myself.

I noticed you've had a DAB radio fitted, does anyone know when the analogue system is being given the boot and when will manufacturers start fitting them as standard?

I noticed you've had a DAB radio fitted, does anyone know when the analogue system is being given the boot and when will manufacturers start fitting them as standard?

They were talking 2016 but I think now they have just delayed things and no decsions is being made. Too many cars running around on FM.

I like DAB as I can get additional channels and good reception on things like Radio 5 and World Service.

Also the Comand system is clever if you are listening in DAB and then it finds that the FM signal of the same station is giving better reception is seamlessly switches between the two so you always end up with the best reception. Very clever.

Last edited:
Is Speed Limit Assist included as part of COMAND, or is it separate chargeable item?

Having had use of a pre face lifted C250 sport and the use of a face lifted C220 Elegance - I far prefer the ride of the Elegance on 17" wheels to the Sports on 18". I found the 220 surprisingly nippy but the 250 far more so. In fact the 250 felt not far off my 320.
All 204s out handle the 203s. A different and better suspension set up. But ride wise my 203 is better than the 204 sport and comparable to the 204 Elegance.

Nice car Goldfish. Have you hit it with your DA yet? :D

Maybe never.

In mainland Europe, DAB has been deemed a failure and certain countries are even looking at turning off DAB all together.

You may well find that the UK is the only country still running DAB in a few years so don't expect the car manufacturers to stop putting FM radios in for some time yet.

Having had use of a pre face lifted C250 sport and the use of a face lifted C220 Elegance - I far prefer the ride of the Elegance on 17" wheels to the Sports on 18". I found the 220 surprisingly nippy but the 250 far more so. In fact the 250 felt not far off my 320.
All 204s out handle the 203s. A different and better suspension set up. But ride wise my 203 is better than the 204 sport and comparable to the 204 Elegance.

Nice car Goldfish. Have you hit it with your DA yet? :D

Oh Yes :D, the photos do not do it justice, (I think the jpg quality is to low). When I got it I treated the whole of the interior with Ultima Interior Protection plus as I was going to be travelling that week. Then the following weekend I clayed it, used Ultima Paint Preparation on the DA polisher and finally put on 3 coats of Ultima Paint Guard Plus over the next 3 days (24 hour cure time between coats) this takes about 10 minutes per coat as you just wipe on and walk away. So the wash, clay and polish took about 3 hours in total then a quick wipe over with Ultima. The car is now good for the winter and super slick.

One big mistake was I treated the alloys with Ultima Trim tire guard which in theory should work great on alloys and I have used before to good effect. However over the past week or so the brake dust seemed to mix to form an oily residue that was a pig to clean. Took me ages, I washed the car yesterday got the stuff off and have treated with Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal. Hopefully this will do a better job.

This is an indication of the finish - Sun has just come out and I took these. A bit higher quality. Nice reflections.;)

Attachments

• MB-W204-F.jpg
    MB-W204-F.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 131
  • MB-W204-G.jpg
    MB-W204-G.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 133
Is Speed Limit Assist included as part of COMAND, or is it separate chargeable item?

Yes it is included with Comand on the C Class, on the E Class for some reason they charge you an extra £300 ish for this option :D

Nice car , But i would say that i have the same car the only differance i went for the sports grill and mine is a 180

Enjoy your new motor :thumb:

Nice car, I really like that. The 16s look fine on it too.

I am wondering if I should stick to 17s now (they are growing on me despite my initial frustration about the situation with my car) as the ride is quite nice on my Sport with the smaller wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom