My new cls55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew W

Car
Vw caddy
Well finally got myself CLS55 , 69k miles with
10k of options , my friend picked it up for me
And put it in the garage till I returned from Cyprus . Was excited to see it and first thing I see is the
Os rear wheel is under the arch !! Gutted .
After starting it levels up ok then sinks over night
The parking censors are not working either just the 2 red lights and bleep , and Monday the s/c pump gave up , what a great start .

To be expected at some point in its lifetime.

Sadly you've drawn the short straw but once fixed - you will have a great car.

Take the chance to stick an uprated IC pump on it...

JohnEBoy said:
To be expected at some point in its lifetime. Sadly you've drawn the short straw but once fixed - you will have a great car. Take the chance to stick an uprated IC pump on it...
Yes it is great , but the guy who sold it me knew the problems and kindly forgot to mention them ;)
I put a Bosch 10 on the E55k I had so will do that
again .

Yes it is great , but the guy who sold it me knew the problems and kindly forgot to mention them ;)
I put a Bosch 10 on the E55k I had so will do that
again .

That's the official part now too so MB know the original is weak.

As long as the engine is sound then you are good to go, won't be long till the new beast is out and about :D

That's the official part now too so MB know the original is weak.

I am beginning to wonder whether I need a new SC pump too ..

Perhaps I am used to the thrust, but it seems like my CLS has lost a bit of its grunt.

any way to check performance of OEM pump? Is it STAR? Would it throw up fault codes?

how much is the part? time to install?

You'd know easily enough - the supercharger won't engage and the car feels slower than a CLS500...

I paid about £180 for the part from the US and fitted it in about an hour.

Perhaps I am used to the thrust, but it seems like my CLS has lost a bit of its grunt.

Your CLS essentially loses use of the supercharger so I'm pretty certain you'd know if that was happening.

I dare say you've simply got used to the power...

You'd know easily enough - the supercharger won't engage and the car feels slower than a CLS500...

I paid about £180 for the part from the US and fitted it in about an hour.

Your CLS essentially loses use of the supercharger so I'm pretty certain you'd know if that was happening.

I dare say you've simply got used to the power...

thanks.

it appears that power does corrupt :D

One way to be sure is to have a Dyno run when your IATs can be measured and it will stand out like a sort thumb.

When mine was first remapped, the pump seemed OK but it had deteriorated quickly. So it was working and so was my blower - but power dropped off fast.

With the new pump, the car feels like it needs a really urgent very runny dump more for more of the time.

As I understand it simplest test is to do a WOT which should be OK, then do another quickly after and if the power vanishes that's your problem.

Pumps are £65 in the US, which comes up to around £95 with postage and customs.

As I understand it simplest test is to do a WOT which should be OK, then do another quickly after and if the power vanishes that's your problem.

WOT?

I am in the US in Dec .. I can bring one home.

Any links please to order?

That is one way but many have had goosed ic pumps and not known until being on a dyno.

The sc clutch only disengages at the extreme of iat range.

That is one way but many have had goosed ic pumps and not known until being on a dyno.

The sc clutch only disengages at the extreme of iat range.

Yes, that's exactly what I had.

Only visible on the dyno.

A new pump defiantly gives the car s new lease
of life .

A new pump defiantly gives the car s new lease
of life .

Andrew congrats on the new car, we need pictures of course to believe you :)

All of those issues are minor, mine had rear sink for a year now, its not usually a biggie but front can be more serious and can fail randomly. main thing is you have a lower miler car which will hold its value going forward and once you done these bits then you will have long lease of happy miles with years to come..

Enjoy.

Amo said:
Andrew congrats on the new car, we need pictures of course to believe you :) All of those issues are minor, mine had rear sink for a year now, its not usually a biggie but front can be more serious and can fail randomly. main thing is you have a lower miler car which will hold its value going forward and once you done these bits then you will have long lease of happy miles with years to come.. Enjoy.
Thanks for that , it does drive really well and sound slightly meatier than my E55k .

Attachments

• image-724187350.jpg
    image-724187350.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image-485470772.jpg
    image-485470772.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Congrats Andrew Nice motor, they are very cool the Cls55. If i had my time over again, i might well follow your lead with the Cls. How did you find them price wise, when you were looking, in comparison to the E55?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom