My new E320 CDI.....Finally here!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shame about the damage, but it will look great again soon.

Does this count as a mod for the Modtanica, it certainly makes the car "individual"?

Just seen those pics Akmal, sorry about the damage as dieselman says the car will look new again very soon. Cars can always be replaced, repaired it's just good to hear everyones OK even the person in the other car. Any more on why she just stopped...not a new or a learner driver eh.

Anyway since its her fault, although your car was behind, I would def get witnesses since she could claim you ran into her car. I would hate to see you lose that No claims...but u may have already thought of that.

SBC is supposed to be very good but its revolutionary and a new technology. I just felt when I was going around 60 on a long stretch of road that i had to really squeeze hard on brakes to feel a slowing down on my test route. I still haven't decided btw 5 series or E class. How did u find the Stockport dealership?

I'm not too far from Manchester myself and do visit relatives now and then . Its a nice place. Looks like ur area isn't a bad neighbourhood.

Originally posted by adam1
I still haven't decided btw 5 series or E class..

abt the 5er vs. e class, i would say go for the e class:D i went to the new 5 series launch at my local dealers and i just coudlnt seem to like the car. you might find it good looking from one angle but if you move a step to the right it mights start to look ugly:confused: i do like parts of the exterior but at the same time i dont like parts of the exteriot. As for the interior.....i think the 5 series comes nowhere near the e class. i dont know if sitting in the new 7 series before i sat in the 5er had an effect but the 5 interior did look cheap to me, where as he new e class interior is a beauty. (definatley a major step up from the w210 e class, wouldnt u agree brian?;) ) i havent driven the 5er, but it probably does drive as good as the last one or better. (well, not according to Autocar magazine) but the new e class has improved so much in driving/handling/refinement etc that it beat the old 5 series driving and handling and took refinement to the next level. dont know abt the 5 series yet, but will take a drive soon:)

thats my 0.2 cents on the e vs 5:)

How did u find the Stockport dealership?

I thought they were great and dealt with us really well.....until.....delivery time, but taking delivery was done very well. thumbs up for mercedes benz stockport.

we had a little problem as to when our car was going to arrive. our car got delayed (i think it was) 2 weeks. and so we had a price increae on our car as it was delivered in october. but mercedes bezn stockport decided to go halves on the price increase:) so instead of paying 750quid, we paid 375:)

Originally posted by akmal17
abt the 5er vs. e class, i would say go for the e class:D i went to the new 5 series launch at my local dealers and i just coudlnt seem to like the car. you might find it good looking from one angle but if you move a step to the right it mights start to look ugly:confused: i do like parts of the exterior but at the same time i dont like parts of the exteriot. As for the interior.....i think the 5 series comes nowhere near the e class. i dont know if sitting in the new 7 series before i sat in the 5er had an effect but the 5 interior did look cheap to me, where as he new e class interior is a beauty. (definatley a major step up from the w210 e class, wouldnt u agree brian?;) ) i havent driven the 5er, but it probably does drive as good as the last one or better. (well, not according to Autocar magazine) but the new e class has improved so much in driving/handling/refinement etc that it beat the old 5 series driving and handling and took refinement to the next level. dont know abt the 5 series yet, but will take a drive soon:)

thats my 0.2 cents on the e vs 5:)

apologies for the slip up in my englsih.....typed in a bit of a hurry:D

I can see what ur saying Akmal.

The new 5 series is not that attractive cf to E Class. I have driven the Beemer and it handles very well even if autocar thinks otherwise. I don't take much notice of reviews since the What car review last year gave the accolade to E class. This year they are in the BMW boat. It depends who gives them the sponsorship i guess or a free BMW for life for its Editor who knows. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I like the way the E Class looks, drives and handles. Its luxurious and has class above the 5er. Although it does beat the old 5 in terms of refinement i think it comes close to handling, and supple ride cf the new 5 but the new 5 does beat it here cos Beemers have always been the drivers car and this one biulds on its strengths.

What really puts me off its the thought of putting my money on the E Class and having numerous warranty issues and being treated like a child by the stealership. In my job, reliablity is of upmost importance and MERCS haven't been like that of lately with the new offerings cf to the early models..most people would agree with that. I'm not saying Beemers are more reliable but the CS would be better according to the forums i read.

The BMW does have better CS and servicing can be bought as a package. Discounts are already available on the new 5 and the most you can expect on a Merc is a little over 4% off list even after 12 months post launch.

So it boils down to where would you bet your money not that I'm into the betting. It also means going for a diesel for the merc and petrol for BMW. I've always driven petrols and the six pot in BMWs have won many awards. If someone can convince me that the Eclass drives as well and handles just like a new 5 then i would buy straightway. I'm going to have another test drive of the E Class, this time the E320CDi and the 530d. These top performing models may swing me in one direction or another.

So it boils down to where would you bet your money not that I'm into the betting. It also means going for a diesel for the merc and petrol for BMW. I've always driven petrols and the six pot in BMWs have won many awards. If someone can convince me that the Eclass drives as well and handles just like a new 5 then i would buy straightway. I'm going to have another test drive of the E Class, this time the E320CDi and the 530d. These top performing models may swing me in one direction or another.

The 530d is one fast car (not that the E320 CDI isnt fast) but the 530d is actaully faster than the petrol 530i (lolz) If youre going for the best drivers car then i think you will be going for the 5 series but if you want a good overall package then i think its gotta be the E class :) good luck with your test drive and dont forget to let us know what you think about both cars.

I must get round to popping in the B*$W dealer and taking a test drive in a 530d to see what its like. Would be good to compare it to the E class.

Testing the E270cdi ON Wednesday. its been about 6 months since i last had a go. They have a 320CDI but in estate form. Dealer has said that in mid-range the 270 and the 320 are not a great deal of diff. But the 320 is a lot faster in 0-60 sprint. Hope to test both if available as Demo.

530dSE is on test tommorrow Sunday. Can't wait.

I was thinking of putting sports susp on E Class to bring it close to the Beemers handling as a compromise. I think the beauty of the E Class is appealing to me already.

Alloys....i'd go for 5 twin double spoke 16" for my budget at 470 extra. They look cool. The Eclass wheel arches are not as big as 5er so u don't really need big alloys. 17-18 is min for 5 er otherwise it looks like a skinny bloke with a bomber jacket as someone said i remember.

Leather would be essential i guess...could i get away with it?

parkatronic needed for my excellent parking driving skills....or lack of.

Auto: goes without saying

Colour: well thats a difficult one but silver is the business.

Folding seats: For DIY well if i can't bribe the in-laws for the van.
Don't have to buy thro loading as well do I?

If I go for E320CDI it would have to be Avantgarde (extra 500 buys you xenons etc )with leather.
If its E270 then Classic with leather and alloys would be sufficient.

My budget is tight but flexible for the right spec. Any ideas?

530dSE is on test tommorrow Sunday. Can't wait.

If I go for E320CDI it would have to be Avantgarde (extra 500 buys you xenons etc )with leather.
If its E270 then Classic with leather and alloys would be sufficient.

My budget is tight but flexible for the right spec. Any ideas?

If you can afford it, the E320CDI is smoother and faster than the E270CDI, and will give the 530d a run for it's money especially in mid range overtaking which is where you need it.

The Avantgarde is a must, just compare the extras that come with it. Alloy Wheels 5 spoke, Bi-Xenons,Birds eye maple wood trim, Lower sprung vehicle with sporty suspension, parameter steering, part leather upholstery, sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors and extendable( two visors each side), tinted blue glass. All for £500.:bannana: :bannana:

Brian,
Just been looking at avantgarde/320cdi spec: It states lower slung vehicle but no mention of sports suspension: That is a £300 option?

The part leather on avantgarde: would u advise sticking with that or go for full leather. Whats the diff btween them.

Anyone got sports suspension? Does it offer comfort ride as well as good handling?

Brian,
Just been looking at avantgarde/320cdi spec: It states lower slung vehicle but no mention of sports suspension: That is a £300 option?

The part leather on avantgarde: would u advise sticking with that or go for full leather. Whats the diff btween them.

Anyone got sports suspension? Does it offer comfort ride as well as good handling?

Adam

Sports suspension in my opinion is not worth the money, the ride on mine round corners is excellent without it..

The part leather is leather sides and back but not the centre of the seat, so go for all leather if you can afford it, see my photos in the gallery.:cool: :cool:

I think Richard has part leather. I suppose you won't need heated seats since the centre is cloth.

I'm also wanting Parkatronic and twin spoke alloys split seats, sports suspension, so the list price keeps getting higher.

i've been advised wisely to get auto, leather and mettallic paint for resale. Anything else is what you personally need . Alloys do not add value, neither does Sat nav,climate control etc.

Most people buying anything above 20K assume it must have leather, automatic gearbox which is a must for mercs.

I've heard the 270CDI can be chipped to 200 plus BHP. Anyone had it done? How is the 320CDI more smoother than the 270. From 2004 six cylinders will have that particulate filter and comply with Euro 4 regs. Same with 4 cyls, not sure on 5 cyls.

Sports suspension is the dog's doo-dars, cornering is magnificent - but I haven't driven one without so can't compare. Comfort is fien although it has been mentioned that the ride is 'firm' in the rear.

Do they do the leather twin option on the 320? Nobody can tell which bit of mine is real and which is synthetic, all looks and feels pretty much the same and soooo much cheaper than than full leather on mine.

Split seats are very handy. Picked up half a dozen boxes of laminate flooring, underlay pads had the baby seat on the back seat and trolly in the boot with all that lot - result - altough I suppose I could have taken the missus' C class estate:crazy:

The 5 twin spoke alloys are really nice - the 17's espaecially so:devil:

OGii,

Nice wheels the 17" double spokes. I can only afford 16" if i go for 320, maybe if i went for 270 i may be an option. But i think its better having std alloys on 320 than expensive ones on 270 cos you dont get any value for alloys. Is there any 3rd party alloys for mercs.

I think on avantgarde you get part leather, is leather twin actual leather plus synthetic or all synthetic lookalike leather.

With rear seats do you just specify split seats or thro load facilty too for DIY.

Have u driven a 5 series, how does that compare with sports susp on the E.

Like the AMG lettering and exhausts....is that an expensive Mod?

OGii,

Nice wheels the 17" double spokes. I can only afford 16" if i go for 320, maybe if i went for 270 i may be an option. But i think its better having std alloys on 320 than expensive ones on 270 cos you dont get any value for alloys. Is there any 3rd party alloys for mercs.

I think on avantgarde you get part leather, is leather twin actual leather plus synthetic or all synthetic lookalike leather.

With rear seats do you just specify split seats or thro load facilty too for DIY.

Have u driven a 5 series, how does that compare with sports susp on the E.

Like the AMG lettering and exhausts....is that an expensive Mod?

I'd go for bigger engine smaller wheels given the choice!

Leather twin is part real part synthetic but as I say you can't tell which is which.

I just specified split fold - had to have that option to get the rear integrated child booster seats.

I haven't driven a new 5 but I regularly drive a previous model 540 sport and feels pretty similar.

AMG letters and exhausts worked out around £140 when the dust settled. If you get an E and want them I'll let you know where from.

If you want to ask anything else - fire away

Cheers
OG

As has been mentioned the 320 CDi is much smoother than the 270, but the 270 is plenty quick enough for me. I've timed 0-60 in 7.9 secs (official 0-62 is 8.4 for the auto).

The E class I test drove had sports suspension, I can't really tell the difference between that the standard Avantgarde (which is lower than the other models). The only reason I would have got the sports suspension was if I went for the 17" wheels (they are a linked option). I really like the standard Avantgarde wheels - and they are easy to clean :) wish I'd have got them in 17" though.

Full leather would be much nicer, I've even though of finding somewhere to retro-fit it. As you know the options list never stops, I started looking at the 270 classic, then swayed to Avantgarde, then auto, cd changer, parktronic (which is well worth it) but stopped myself from ordering leather and the 17" wheels as the price was going up and up.

Richard, i know where your coming from.
I think I'm in your exact situation. I add up the cost and the price keeps rising. If i hadn't bought a house recently things would have been easy ie the E320 with all the options ticked or even the E500 but house prices were rising 20% pa and I had to get my priorities right. So the missus is happy in her house but leaves me to do what i want with the car buying thing.

So I'm thinking maybe E320CDI with avantgarde talking 35K and then leather parkatronic, spit seats, it goes way beyond my initial budget of 27-28K. It seems I'm more lilkely to get what i want for 30 plus. But it can't be alot more than that. I understand you would have liked 17" but that would add 900 to price inc sports susp with no resale value.

The reason I'm thinking of sports susp is due to the handling of the E class. It may be more sporty with it but as you say avantgarde has a sporty susp anyway. I would like to drive the E class like you would a BMW( not like the so called BMW driver) but in a sporty fashion.

Avantgarge has half leather..so you reccommend full leather.

In what way is E320 smoother than e270 is it something to do with 5 cyls vs 6. The dealer explained to me the diff between 270 and 320 is about 1.8k. It may be worth the extra but the price with all the add ons make it very expensive car.

More importantly I keep hearing Mercs aren't as reliable...has the E class any issues apart from the usual electronic problems.the other ones like..i mean the brakes, susp, steering the mechanical types of problems.

Adam,

Have you thought about buying nearly new/ex lease? You would probably be able to afford one with all of the options you want at a much better price. Just a thought.

IMO buying a new car is an excellent way to lose a lot of money very quickly:D

In what way is E320 smoother than e270 is it something to do with 5 cyls vs 6. The dealer explained to me the diff between 270 and 320 is about 1.8k. It may be worth the extra but the price with all the add ons make it very expensive car.

More importantly I keep hearing Mercs aren't as reliable...has the E class any issues apart from the usual electronic problems.the other ones like..i mean the brakes, susp, steering the mechanical types of problems.

The E320CDI is smoother because of the 6 cylinders, as the 5 cylinders are difficult to balance and do suffer with some slight extra vibration, as Richard knows. Not enough to stop anyone buying one , but the E320CDI is faster as well even than the E320 petrol and gives most standard cars a run for there money.

The problems with E classes in the main I think have been improved considerably, and I personally have had no problems. Richard had some initially, but they have now been sorted under warranty.

GO FOR THE E320CDI, with extras you can afford mate.:bannana: :bannana:

You used to be Indecisive now you can't make your mind up.:D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom