My new E320 CDI.....Finally here!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Originally posted by adam1
In what way is E320 smoother than e270 is it something to do with 5 cyls vs 6. The dealer explained to me the diff between 270 and 320 is about 1.8k. It may be worth the extra but the price with all the add ons make it very expensive car.
I don't notice any vibration as some people have with the 270 (and I've very critical of any noise or rattle) but the engine is quite noisy driving from 10-30mph around town, above that it has a nice deep roar. That’s my main complaint about the engine and the 320 doesn't suffer that at all and sounds and feels more like a 6 cylinder petrol.
More importantly I keep hearing Mercs aren't as reliable...has the E class any issues apart from the usual electronic problems.the other ones like..i mean the brakes, susp, steering the mechanical types of problems.
There were some early electrical problems, I've had quite a few different errors come on the display and problems with the drivers door not unlocking first time, the cruise control stopping, stereo cutting out but nothing that stopped the car working, so reliability itself has been 100% and I've done nearly 19000 miles now (first service is on friday). I've had no issues with the brakes, suspension, steering, or any other mechanical part.
I understand you would have liked 17" but that would add 900 to price inc sports susp with no resale value.
Yes that’s what stopped me! I did also get the split fold seats for carrying my bike but I never use them as the boots so big anyway the bike fits in.
The reason I'm thinking of sports susp is due to the handling of the E class. It may be more sporty with it but as you say avantgarde has a sporty susp anyway. I would like to drive the E class like you would a BMW( not like the so called BMW driver) but in a sporty fashion.
If you think you'd be happier with the sports suspension then go for it, I must admit comfort is more important to me but I think the Avantgarde has a perfect balance, if you prefer a firmer ride go for the sports suspension.
Avantgarge has half leather..so you reccommend full leather.
Yes if you can afford it. I have the grey interior and the seats do show marks easily and seem a pain to clean as they even show water marks from cleaning them. Leather would also feel much nicer.

What colour exterior/ interior would you get?

Thanks Richard, Brian and OGiii for your advice.

I appreciate ur comments very much as it guides my buying decision. I don;t want to regret this or that a few months down the line thats why I asking many questions.

Robbie about ex lease or nearly new. It is difficult to find a used E class and the ones on sale seem to be priced only 2-3k under new not their trade value of 6K less after a year. If a bought used i may save a few grand but in 3 years it will be worth a lot less. Most are in dealers stock but dealers advise u to go for new since savings are small ...maybe they make more on New than used....not sure on that one.

Quote:
What colour exterior/ interior would you get?

I was thinking of brill Silver. I know its very ordinary and not the in thing but Silver is a MERC colour and I think it fits into what i want the car to look like. Thought about tealite blue but somehow not sure if it will look better than silver.

Interior: Need help here not sure what will go but i think a darker leather colour would go with silver or maybe grey?

Richard how come ur first service is on 19000 miles...thats a saving...anyway how much does servicing cost with MB?

Last edited:
Originally posted by adam1
Interior: Need help here not sure what will go but i think a darker leather colour would go with silver or maybe grey?

Richard how come ur first service is on 19000 miles...thats a saving...anyway how much does servicing cost with MB?
I have the grey interior and I really like it, when I've sat in the cars with the dark interior they look very bland but the marks won't show so easily. I'd suggest having a look at a few. Silver will go with either.

The service mileage is based on the Assist computer, it counts down the miles till the service is due. When I got the car I think it said 17,000 but adjusts itself based on how its driven. I've done 19K miles now and it still says 850 to go, but I've booked it in for this friday, My dealer needs 5-6 weeks notice for a courtesy car and I haven't done as many miles as I thought I would!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom