My new motor arrived yesterday ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's actually a flail mower ... will cut anything from normal grass up to fairly dense brush/undergrowth. We have a fair bit of both :D
That should be more than capable of shattering some earth then.

We've got 7 acres so there is a fair bit of ongoing maintenance needed. But there are a *lot* of small/medium trees that need to come down (plus a few bigger ones that will need to be done by a pro), and some large overgrown heaps of soil in the garden that need moving/flattening. The previous owners had quite a lot of work done over the years (extensions, double garage, barn, stables, etc.) and it seems anything that got excavated for bases/foundations just ended up dumped in the garden.
GTG location........ :banana:

GTG location........ :banana:

Five miles of narrow country lanes (nearly all single track with occasional passing places) to get to it though!

Five miles of narrow country lanes (nearly all single track with occasional passing places) to get to it though!
Better get the tractor going then!
Anyways, we drive Mercedes - the council will make the lanes one way AM and 1 way PM :banana:

Anyways, we drive Mercedes - the council will make the lanes one way AM and 1 way PM :banana:

Have had some hairy moments meeting combine harvesters etc. coming the other way - these guys take no prisoners when harvesting is going on!

Narrow lanes with grass growing up the middle and few if any passing places - sounds like our typical Sunday rambles en route to a country pub - known by the family as Hazle Hikes!

You could get a trailer for the tractor and pick us all up from a local pub or hotel. I think you just don’t want us all coming down and braking your new tractor! 😁

Tractors are a real laugh. We had a mini Kuboto to clear the land for our place in Greece.

I wasn’t very good at clearing land and made a bit of a hash of it but it was great fun.

Got a cheap tipping trailer off eBay ... not as butch as an agricultural one but a fraction of the price and I was able to fetch it with the Vito. Removing/re-fitting the flail mower (which weighs 250 kg) to use the drawbar is a bit fiddly but will hopefully get easier with practice. I had to add a hitch ball as tractors generally come with a pin hitch.

Capture.JPG

Got insurance sorted - first quote was a bit of a shock at £470 😮 but settled for £202 in the end. Currently going through the hoops to get it registered with the DVLA as it already has full road lights, EU certificate of conformity, etc. (even a trailer socket). There's a fee of £55 but that's it as it's exempt from road tax & MOT. Top speed is 19 kph so not planning on any road trips :D but it will potentially be handy to access some of our land via the surrounding roads. Plus pulling the S205 out of snow drifts if necessary :)

That trailer's too small for a tractor that size! When we had the big house with a 1 1/2 acre plot, initially an 8HP tractor later changed for 16HP, I had a trailer twice that size (length) with removeable side extensions (seldom used) that extended the trailer height by about 2-3ft. Just cutting the "decent" grassed areas we could fill that trailer every 10 days in summer - and that was just from the 150ft x 70 ft top lawn plus similar size combined orchard/shrubbery. The 1/2 acre paddock got cut but not collected! As for collecting the clippings from the 1/4 mile of hedges twice a year - we had some epic bonfires!!

Life is much easier since downsizing. Wife still uses the same 16" Hayter rotary for the "lawns", but it's about 30 minutes to get the mower out, do all the "lawns" and put the mower away, rather better than both of us for a full day at the old house!!

I'd have liked a bigger trailer but they're too expensive for now. This one is 1.45m x 1m internally, will carry 500 kg and I paid £275 for it (with extension sides, cover and spare wheel). Like many of these small trailers the lights are recessed so you can stand it vertically for storage, which is handy. Unusually it has decent suspension with shock absorbers.

We've had some huge bonfires as I've been emptying an old outbuilding as well as lopping bits off trees (and cut a few small ones down). Lots more to do though.

Got the V5 back from the DVLA, so my tractor now has a shiny new '71' plate on it :banana:

Not actually a legal one :oops: ... the smallest I could get made locally was still taller than the mounting plate, extending past the bottom and partly blocking the rear light cluster that side. So I cut the bottom of the numberplate off (containing the maker's details) - sorted :D

I now have a 5' roller (500 kg), and actually used the cruise control :cool: on the tractor for the first time with that (you can see the numberplate mount above the NSR wheel arch below):

Capture.JPG

Next job is to install a 'workaround' for the seat occupancy sensor, which cuts the engine if you get off. Very admirable from an 'elf & safety' POV but I have a PTO-driven wood chipper on the way, and feeding tree branches into that while remaining seated on the tractor would be a challenge

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tom and Barbara.

Been using the chipper a fair bit:

1643309406168.png

Had a harrowing experience this afternoon though. OK I'll get me coat :D

Capture.JPG

Forgot to say ... while waiting for the wood chipper to be delivered I had a funny phone call with the delivery driver.

"I'll be there in 10 mins - you'll need your forklift to get it off the truck".
"I don't have a forklift."
"Ah. I don't have a tail lift on this truck."
"Is it on a pallet?"
"No."
"OK it's only 200kg ... we'll sort something out."

I rigged up a ramp from an old door and a pallet and we managed to manhandle it down that (in the dark) without it falling on anyone. HSE? Not a hard hat or hi-viz waistcoat in sight :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom