My new R Class :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joeysnowey

Car
E320 CDI (Retired) - Now driving R Class 2009 Sport
Well after months of looking, and thanks to help from members of the forum here, I am now the proud owner of an R320 :)
90k miles. Sport model in black, LWB 7 seater. It had two owners then bumped at walking pace (spoke to previous owner) and insurance wrote it off as uneconomical to repair, ridiculous as it just needed a bumper and grill which has been done to high standard and the car is in immaculate condition but obviously Cat D. I am not bothered as I hope to keep it for good. £6.2k - bargain methinks, certainly compared to many others I looked at with similar spec which were 8-10k. Had it inspected by Mercserve in Nottingham who found no faults, although I did get an engine picture (amber warning light on rev counter) on way home which worries me but hopefully nothing serious. I am going to get it plugged in asap and find out, gutted if its a serious problem because I couldn't have done more to have it checked before purchase.
Now looking into 4 things, any advice appreciated:

1. MPG improvements - I want to squeeze every possible drop of fuel economy I can out of this car, I have had remaps before which did help, but Mercserve said he uses some sort of plug in device (£150 ish) and said it helps the MPG in both his own Mercs. Any other ideas, DPF removal etc etc?

2. Stereo - It has the NTG2.5 system but no plug for ipod (not that i have seen yet anyway) or aux in, it has bluetooth for phone but can't play audio from bluetooth devices. I really want to be able to stream audio via BT and plug in an iPod to listen to. Any ideas about the cheapest way to implement this? I wonder if it might be cheapest to look at Parrot options, I think they do one which (if it can be fitted to the R320) streams from bluetooth, and has an ipod connection, plus a littole stick on remote control with wheel in the middle.

3. Towbar - need to get one fitted so any recommendations welcome

4. The alcantara suede/leather seats worry me a bit with kids, crisps, sweets, fag ash, biscuits, etc! Wondering if anyone knows of a good way to protect the seats. Yes, being careful is obviously the first idea! but wondering if Scotchguard for suede/nubuck or something similar is worth a try?

Thanks all

With kids I'd put seat covers on tbh - that's what I did with my last car with leather/alcantara!

Wouldn't advise DPF removal as I think they are checking for this now at MOT.

Thanks, yes seat covers are probably the safest bet. Maybe just a blanket across the base of the rear seats, just to catch any crisps etc. shame to cover up these beautiful seats!

I have the Artico and Dinamica seats in my car and find they hold up well against the kids and dogs. My 2 year old sicked up his milk all over the back seat, on the drive home from holiday and I could not clean it properly until the next day. It cleaned up like new and didn’t smell afterwards. It’s all manmade so seems to clean up easily.

Man MADE? Oh my God, I am horrified. There was me thinking animals died to give me that ****-pleasure :D

Yeah alcantara is a 'fake suede' (as is dinamica), and artico is fake leather. So it's all safe for vegans ;) :)

:D :D :D :D
Unfortunately they studied all the incredible health benefits of smoking and since then they just won't listen to me about it.

Happy new car. I love mine, covered over 3K miles since September.
Keep us posted, I need to get a tow bar fitted to mine in the new year.

Thanks Grober. The previous owner said he wasn't sure but had a feeling it might have the towbar assembly already there, just need a swan neck. He said he could be wrong but said to check first. I dont know what to check for if this is the case!? Is it possible?

Mark - thanks very much. Yes what an incredibly silky smooth vehicle this is! It's like travelling on cotton wool compared to my Audi all road. totally different feel, it just oozes quality, whether that's a good act or a reality remains to be seen, i have a deep hatred for modern stuff compared to the good old stuff!! Having said that, it's gorgeous so far!
By the way, I think i saw a circular steel socket in the left side of the glovebox. is that a 3.5mm jack? Do you have this? I need to sort bluetooth audio and ipod connection, think PArrot will be the cheapest way to go, but wonder what setup yours has?

Gl
Thanks Grober. The previous owner said he wasn't sure but had a feeling it might have the towbar assembly already there, just need a swan neck. He said he could be wrong but said to check first. I dont know what to check for if this is the case!? Is it possible?

Mark - thanks very much. Yes what an incredibly silky smooth vehicle this is! It's like travelling on cotton wool compared to my Audi all road. totally different feel, it just oozes quality, whether that's a good act or a reality remains to be seen, i have a deep hatred for modern stuff compared to the good old stuff!! Having said that, it's gorgeous so far!
By the way, I think i saw a circular steel socket in the left side of the glovebox. is that a 3.5mm jack? Do you have this? I need to sort bluetooth audio and ipod connection, think PArrot will be the cheapest way to go, but wonder what setup yours has?

Glad you are enjoying it, I try to find any reason just to drive mine. I will have a look as I have not noticed a socket.
I still need to sort all these Bluetooth issues yet, I was thinking of going and seeing the chaps at command on line for their advice in the new year.

Get ready to spend the best part of £1000 minimum!
Hence why I am considering a Parrot MKi9200 - look them up on Youtube. I have used them before and amazing bits of kit and a fraction of the cost of custom Merc systems which are often not as effective in use!

If its already installed there will an existing frame already installed on the rear chassis of the car It may be hidden byunderbody cladding but there should be a couple of openings for the swan neck and the pull down electrical connection--- designs will vary depending on towbar manufacturer but a quick inspection under/ behind the rear bumper should tell you.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Congrats on the car, Joey! Let's have some pics.

Yes, a pic or two would be nice to see.

All you chaps with an R Class - one question - does the middle row of seats fold flat to give a long and flat load area? Thinking about an R Class in the New Year and available cargo space is a big concern.

Thanks, will have a look for a towbar assembly when I get a chance.

lopHeU.jpg

tayUfi.jpg

7D5OCL.jpg

CwYeZU.jpg

You could just ScotchGuard the seats to protect them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom