My new ride (+ a few USA pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
With great excitement I approached the rental bays at Orlando airport to see what a premium car would be.

It transpires it's a very nearly new Nissan Maxima. Never heard of one? It's fairly large, solidly built and cruises well. 3.5v6 petrol hitched to a CVT gearbox. Plastics are a tad cheap, but nowhere near as other USA cars that I have seen. Some strange bits missing like reading lights or parking sensors...

I'd like to review handling - but have not seen any bends worth mentioning as yet....

P1000745_zps7ad8bbf9.jpg

P1000744_zps885b440a.jpg

P1000746_zpseeecd594.jpg

P1000747_zps88caa142.jpg

P1000748_zps7ffd0d3f.jpg

P1000738_zps030d57b3.jpg

P1000733_zps0f973bbe.jpg

P1000734_zpsd42e4ef4.jpg

P1000694_zpsec3f6880.jpg

and a few days before

C492045D-79D8-4EAF-8AE9-607D17F9B270-1198-0000011E5A08BB9E_zpsc0212016.jpg

9589CFED-EB26-43A9-9DC6-F819499CF85C-1198-0000011E40DC5BA5_zps97f8f9b3.jpg

0F90583C-2784-449B-A7FB-2396025CAF99-790-00000105E68E984E_zps009fc558.jpg

1896A4DF-E166-46E2-B9C3-28EF2C5F90BE-790-000001093167815C_zpse22e185c.jpg

Great to see you are relaxing Dave.

Haste ye back to Glasgow :thumb:

Very good car, rare in the UK. Drove one in Africa 15 years ago, very smooth Japanese V6 engine and lots of toys in the cabin (for the year..). Also quiet and refined.

It belongs to an era when there was space in the market for large non-prestige-marque saloon/sedan cars such as the Ford Granada/Scorpio and Opel/Vauxhall Omega.

That segment has pretty much dried up now. Buyers say that if it's going to be the size of an E-Class/5-Series/A6 then it better be an E-Class/5-Series/A6, not a cheap substitute.. Nissan and Toyota solved this problem for themselves with the Infinity and the Lexus.

Your last photograph David is very very good. It looks a great holiday.

Do I see a foot operated parking brake there. Seats look big and comfy and its probably an okish drive if its RWD (surely 3500cc V6 it would be) but don't like the cabin design.

Its probably cheap over there, reliable and a lot of car for the money.

I've always wanted to go to America, the food is up my street but I am scared of flying. One day I will get to the land of man vs food and I will make an impression!!!

I've always wanted to go to America, the food is up my street but I am scared of flying. One day I will get to the land of man vs food and I will make an impression!!!

Overcome your fear Steve - you'll love America :thumb::thumb:

Do I see a foot operated parking brake there. Seats look big and comfy and its probably an okish drive if its RWD (surely 3500cc V6 it would be) but don't like the cabin design.

I hate flying, but go in First or Upperclass and its a totally different way of flying, I have actually just started enjoying it.

I'd like to review handling - but have not seen any bends worth mentioning as yet....

I have found that if signs advise 25/35 etc MPH on freeway exit loops then you can't ignore them like you can in the UK!

It's a great country. My other half does not like flying ( I ignore her protests), but the flight over was a breeze. American Airlines, plenty of legroom and as smooth as (ok - they can't control the weather!).

Yup foot operated Parking break for both on and off. It's FWD - and I still don't think the Americans have completely got the hang of it. I'm not completely convinced the Auto is a CVT - but if it's not its one of the best Auto's I've driven.

The photo's were taken with a little Samsung point and shoot thing....

I'm not completely convinced the Auto is a CVT - but if it's not its one of the best Auto's I've driven.

It is a CVT.

May well be the same as in the Murano sold here.

Tell me about the food?

The Steaks are simply amazing, and the deserts and everything really. The portion sizes are nothing like Man V Food but you can still find some epic stuff.

9720_291397260472_6936529_n_zps7b0b67c1.jpg

As for proper deserts the Cheesecake Factory is awesome, infact the entire menu is really good.

410CBFAE-ABE6-484D-B42D-EB420663D41C-24464-00000B47C0FAD7E2_zpse538ed5b.jpg

Have you discovered the Ponderosa chain yet?

Need to try that!

American customer service is ace!

We snuck to the coast for a night on Sunday. I've discovered today that I managed to pay for the room twice having pre-paid through the booking agent.

A quick phone call, an apology a refund of the room charge and as an apology the resort fee. No pressure needed whatsoever.

David

As Truffs has said, get up to The Cheesecake Factory. I think your nearest one will be in the Mall at Millennia just of the Interstate 4. Great food you will struggle to find a better place to eat. Main courses are around $15. Also if you are near Kissimmee try Smokey Bones on the 192. Have a great Holiday.
Don't miss the classic car cruise @ Old Town Kissimmee either.

Logans roadhouse (Hwy 192) does a good rib eye but the best rib eye I ever had was at Cody's 22 ounce and still mooing.
Also if you get to Haines city (Hwy 27 south) try Mannys chop house (if you can get in that is, best to call ahead http://www.mannyschophouse.com/).
Have a great time, I cant wait to get back!

Last edited:
Please don't! I've been to Orlando a lot - just about anything else will be better. It was OK in its day, but a lot of Ponderosa locations have closed now.

Oops! Sorry to hear that, I haven't been to one for quite a while, tbh, maybe twenty years. It was good for breakfast though, and given that we used to pig out on fruit and eggs/bacon (such as it is in America) and other breakfasty things to see us through til dinner, there wasn't much they could do wrong, so it was great value to start the day.

Last edited:
Also if you get to Haines city (Hwy 27 south) try Mannys chop house (if you can get in that is, best to call ahead Manny's Original Chophouse | The Best Steak In Town!).
Have a great time, I cant wait to get back!

I would second Manny's, and it's not as far away as it looks, probably about 20mins from Lake Buena Vista. I said I'd never go back after several long waits, but was persuaded to take some friends last year and the call-ahead seating working fine that time. Avoid visiting on wednesday, when they do BOGOF fajitas (unless that's what you fancy!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom