My new runabout - bangernomics style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great looking 124. Just needs some Period OEM wheels :)
I have been toying with the idea of getting a set of difference wheels on it, although I must say I do enjoy the ride on the 15"s, so comfortable! I think I'm getting old :D

This car looks bloomin lovely, congratulation on your ownership.

A few more photos particularly interior would be welcome.

Robin
I'll post some up mate, will get a few snaps in a minute :thumb:

The Scandanavians used to tune the bollocks off these cars with bigger injector pumps and turbos ,but sadly to be reliable they needed extensive internal strenthening with better conrods and pistons and oil spray nozzles. some discussion here
om606 tuning
There was a company called STT SVENSK TURBO TEKNIK [ Crewe Engines were their agents] that used to make turbo kits for the OM606 but probably long gone by now. The OM 606 is a great engine my main gripe with it as a N/A engine was it was a little "slow off the mark" What might address this would the fitment of one of these new fangled electric superchargers which are designed precisely to address a lack of boost at low revs. Now that would be a project! Lovely car by the way.:)
Agreed, she does need a little time to get going :). Will research those electric superchargers, hadn't heard of them before :thumb: STT definitely rings a bell, looks like they were acquired by GIK Turboteknik back in 2002 - GIK turboteknik AB - Bytesturbo med leverans inom 24 timmar

I have been toying with the idea of getting a set of difference wheels on it, although I must say I do enjoy the ride on the 15"s, so comfortable! I think I'm getting old :D
There is a reason why the 124's gained such a sterling reputation for comfort and ride. Should you change the wheels I would only change for 15" alloys and retain the beautiful ride. This is a fabulous unmolested example. It deserves to be kept that way and looked after. It looks great as it is. Please leave it like that ;^)

The Scandanavians used to tune the bollocks off these cars with bigger injector pumps and turbos ,but sadly to be reliable they needed extensive internal strenthening with better conrods and pistons and oil spray nozzles
Alternatively, have a chat with Mr. Palmer of this parish ;)

We would love to see it at Olly GTG in May, if you can make it ;)

Agreed, she does need a little time to get going :). Will research those electric superchargers, hadn't heard of them before :thumb: STT definitely rings a bell, looks like they were acquired by GIK Turboteknik back in 2002 - GIK turboteknik AB - Bytesturbo med leverans inom 24 timmar

Unfortunately it would appear these electric superchargers are designed for the latest 48 volt systems so an an install might be more problematic than I first thought.:( If anyone knows that company you mentioned would know GIK turboteknik AB - Bytesturbo med leverans inom 24 timmar
I was focussing on improving the low speed driveablity of the car via enhanced engine response at low revs rather than out and out power. It would appear that you need to go to the W210 engine before you get an OM606 with strengthened internals as standard.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it would appear these electric superchargers are designed for the latest 48 volt systems so an an install might be more problematic than I first thought.:( If anyone knows that company you mentioned would know GIK turboteknik AB - Bytesturbo med leverans inom 24 timmar
I was focussing on improving the low speed driveablity of the car via enhanced engine response at low revs rather than out and out power. It would appear that you need to go to the W210 engine before you get an OM606 with strengthened internals as standard.
Ah right, probably for the best. I think realistically, the only "mod" I'll be doing is fitting an air freshener :) And probably some seat covers to protect the immaculate upholstery.

...and where's the photos of this "Immaculate upholstery" then?? Its been a couple of days now, and we're all on the edge of seats with this.. Bruce is sitting in his suspenders, I'm up to my elbows nail biting.. C'mon, get them up here.

Better still, a video tour at a tenner per disc, should set you on your way to a set of period wheels lols!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom