My new split rims. Wheel refurb advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Hi all,

After faffing around for months, I bit the bullet and bought a set of the 2 piece split rims for my R129. It has replicas on it at the moment, although came with the originals when sold, so trying to get it back as it was.

The wheels seem to be in reasonable condition. I've not seen them in the flesh, only in the pics below and they will soon be delivered.

Although not bad condition, I want to get them refurbished at some stage, when funds allow. It looks like one of the front wheels might have had a bit of paint on the inner section, as the AMG logo doesn't look as clear and might be filled with paint. Not sure.

Does anyone have any recommendations for companies who will do a top job? I would need them to be collected and delivered back to Sussex.

I have seen a few companies on the web, but I know that dealing with splits is more labour intensive and needs a skilled eye and of course, costs more!

I'm going to store them away until I get the spare cash and then do the job.

Thanks

Ian

Attachments

• Wheel 1.jpg
    Wheel 1.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
+1 for wheel works. They will do a really good job on those wheels. The main issue will probably be whether the bolts come out easily. Gets expensive if they need replacing.

Cheers guys. I did email another company and they said the following:

"We can do a full refurb providing that there were no bolts snapped in from a
previous refurb. Have the centres removed and powder coated and the outers either polished or diamond cut, bolts may need to be replaced if stretched.
Total including collection and delivery would be £760. Turn around 7/10 days"

Is this expensive or about right?

If the bolts can't come out or are snapped... can they be drilled out, re threaded and replaced?

I can see my credit card taking a hammering, but I think I got them for a good price

I'll double check the quote I have from Voodoo Motorsport, but that seems quite steep. I'm fairly sure I was quoted about £100 less, plus mine are 3pc and therefore more complicated (sealing the joint, twice as many bolts to deal with etc).

Last edited:
I'll get in contact with these companies. I'm living overseas right now, so looking for a company to collect them and deliver from where thy will be stored in the UK. I looked at Wheel Works website but there is no email contact, only a phone number and I can't phone from where I am easily.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom