My New Steed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you buy another RS6 or another of the RS range? Looking forward to your new thread.

jules

Don’t know if I’ve suggested before Paul but have you tried the new RR seats?

Ray has touched on a particularly important point here.

Since selling my S210 after a major-ish MOT failure, I haven't been able to get comfortable in anything other than my Range Rover seats.

Since my Cauda Equina spine injury, seat comfort has been a nightmare.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment was not being comfy in Derek's S211.

He drove hundreds of miles to deliver it to me.
I know he wanted me to have the car and he knew I was excited at getting it. It was owned and maintained by DRUK!

However, within 10 minutes of us setting off in the 211, to get Derek on his homeward journey, I knew the car wasn't for me. It positively crippled me. :(

To keep it in the family, I let my son buy it from me .
As close as I was to Derek, it took me around 3 months to own up that I couldn't use the car. That was tough! :(

Earlier this year, I had a clear out of some of the seats I have tried in an effort to get comfortable.

The auto-electrician jokingly (but he was firing a warning) threatened to block my number for future in/out/program of the different makes of seats to my BiTDi A6.

This isn't even half of the seats that I have bought in pursuit of saddle anesthesia-free comfort.

Conference anyone?

View attachment 97878

Well, this RS6 has now been sold.

However, I have bought another one, with different RS seats, and I'll post a new thread about that car in due course.

Cheers

Paul.

Any of those seats fit my Vito Paul??? 😍

Don’t know if I’ve suggested before Paul but have you tried the new RR seats?

Thanks, Lee.

The whole seat thing that has lasted for years, has cost thousands and has been a nightmare.

My RR 2002-2006 seats are great. Couldn't quite get those in the A6 as easily as RR 2006-2009 seats so fitted those later ones instead.
They crippled me and since putting them in the BiTDi in November, I only covered around 100 miles in it.
Indeed, the A6 BiTDi was sold on Wednesday with the RR seats still fitted and the originals (I had stuffed the drivers seat full of M&S Abbey Sofa foam, without success) chucked into the back of the car for the new owner to have swapped out.

As time moves on, the comfort of the seats is probably compromised to save weight.
Of the 4 sets of A8 seats I had fitted, the least comfy were the Komfort ones that are just short of £4,500 for a pair from Audi TPS when new.
Thankfully, I bought some used ones.!
The comfiest of the A8 seats were the D3 2003 ones. Good, but not good enough.

I had high hopes for the VW Phaeton seats (same as Bentley Continental GT6 IIRC) but they were a disappointment.

With acquisition of my latest RS6, the whole fiasco of seat-swapping is thankfully, now over. :thumb:

Weirdest thing with most models of cars and endless option choices ( I knew it was all going wrong when you get 5 choices of the same bodywork colour decades ago ) is the lack of choice with seats .

We are all different shapes and sizes and one size does not fit all , it really can make you or break you .

Weirdest thing with most models of cars and endless option choices ( I knew it was all going wrong when you get 5 choices of the same bodywork colour decades ago ) is the lack of choice with seats .

We are all different shapes and sizes and one size does not fit all , it really can make you or break you .

Indeed.
The seats in my Vito 120 204 were killers. I loved that van and would still have it if not for the seats.

I persevered with it for as long as I could after my back operation in the hope that things might improve, but in the end had to sell.
I miss that van. I have driven several 224bhp Vitos that wouldn't lay up with it. It was a real corker. Perhaps it was re-mapped?

I got rid in around 2013/14, but around a year or so ago, a penny dropped - I think the hard Vito seats could possibly have caused or accelerated my spine injury. Who knows?

Hi. Out of curiosity, have you ever tried Volvo seats? Of all the cars that I have owned found the V70 from approx 2002-2007 to be the best in most respects. Hope you are able to enjoy the new car and find it comfortable.

Thanks, Lee.

The whole seat thing that has lasted for years, has cost thousands and has been a nightmare.

My RR 2002-2006 seats are great. Couldn't quite get those in the A6 as easily as RR 2006-2009 seats so fitted those later ones instead.
They crippled me and since putting them in the BiTDi in November, I only covered around 100 miles in it.
Indeed, the A6 BiTDi was sold on Wednesday with the RR seats still fitted and the originals (I had stuffed the drivers seat full of M&S Abbey Sofa foam, without success) chucked into the back of the car for the new owner to have swapped out.

As time moves on, the comfort of the seats is probably compromised to save weight.
Of the 4 sets of A8 seats I had fitted, the least comfy were the Komfort ones that are just short of £4,500 for a pair from Audi TPS when new.
Thankfully, I bought some used ones.!
The comfiest of the A8 seats were the D3 2003 ones. Good, but not good enough.

I had high hopes for the VW Phaeton seats (same as Bentley Continental GT6 IIRC) but they were a disappointment.

With acquisition of my latest RS6, the whole fiasco of seat-swapping is thankfully, now over. :thumb:
The seats are comfy then? That must be a relief, so you can get in and enjoy motoring again. Looking forward to seeing the photos 👍🏻

The seats are comfy then? That must be a relief, so you can get in and enjoy motoring again. Looking forward to seeing the photos 👍🏻

Thanks, Rob.

Yes they are comfy, at last!

I'll post a thread when I have decided what to do about the only modification I'll make to the car. :thumb:

Thanks, Rob.

Yes they are comfy, at last!

I'll post a thread when I have decided what to do about the only modification I'll make to the car. :thumb:
As you’re now our designated car seat aficionado I’d like to ask you - how did you fit different seats as in how did you get round airbag sensors etc?

I ask because there are cars out there I like but would love to fit bigger, comfier seats e.g. E-Class seats in a C-Class.

As you’re now our designated car seat aficionado I’d like to ask you - how did you fit different seats as in how did you get round airbag sensors etc?

I ask because there are cars out there I like but would love to fit bigger, comfier seats e.g. E-Class seats in a C-Class.

Lee,

If you are sticking to the same brand - MB to MB, you shouldn't have too much trouble if you can get a decent auto-spark.

It's a little more complicated to put, say, Range Rover seats into a MB, but a good (more importantly, willing) auto-electrician should be able to work things out if he has decent kit, although some metal fabrication may be required, which is something I had to do for non-VW Audi platform seats.

I tried to stick to Audi seats for the BiTDi because of the importance of the seat runner and bolt positions and also electrical compatibility.
However, with the expensive 2012 A8 Komfort seats, after installing, the Audi component protection (designed to stop cars being nicked and broken for spares) wouldn't accept the seats for the car, so I had to pay someone £100 to remove the protection.

I tried many garages and auto-electricians without success, before I found this guy.
He was recommended by Nick Webster, a very good MB indy in Poynton.

1592187312917.png

I think he got a bit tired of fitting/removing/coding the seats in the end - I can't blame him really.

When I bought the VW Phaeton seats, he asked me to source some of the connectors for the seats.

After hunting around for the wiring and there being doubts over which connectors I actually needed to get, the best/safest way to get the wiring was in the form of a complete Phaeton loom from Prestige Audi Breakers in the North East.

1592189105891.png

So large and heavy was the loom, it was delivered on a pallet!
We took what we needed from the loom and reluctantly, binned the rest of it.

This sort of kerfufflery went on for years and cost a fortune.

In the end, I gave up buying the seats and bought cars for their seats, which was a better way of testing the seat comfort than going through the in/out/code it all about rigmarole.

If you want the number of the auto-spark, let me know. :D

Well the new car looks great,your post about back pain and car seats,is one I know I have not thought about before ,I suspect if you do not have back pain yourself it is a subject that does not raise it's ugly head.I am amazed at the amaount of time and effort you have spent on getting a seat that suits you,well done to have found a great new car and a great driving seat in the same car.

Hi. Out of curiosity, have you ever tried Volvo seats? Of all the cars that I have owned found the V70 from approx 2002-2007 to be the best in most respects. Hope you are able to enjoy the new car and find it comfortable.

Yes, thank you.

I bought a Volvo V70 estate around 5 months ago.
The seats are pretty good, but not quite right. Nice seats, though.

I also bought a 2008 SAAB 9-5 and the seats in that car are marshmallow-soft, but after 20 minutes they caused me problems.

I can't help but feel a trick has been missed here? Rather than trying to cross-pollinate seats between entirely different cars with the subsequent integration headaches, consider approaching someone like Capital Seating for a Recaro. The Ergonomic models are very adjustable, and Capital are able to carry out additional modifications through their trim shop to get it just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom