My New Steed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't help but feel a trick has been missed here? Rather than trying to cross-pollinate seats between entirely different cars with the subsequent integration headaches, consider approaching someone like Capital Seating for a Recaro. The Ergonomic models are very adjustable, and Capital are able to carry out additional modifications through their trim shop to get it just right.

Hi Doodle,

I can see your rationale, but that sort of visit could take forever, tweaking here, tweaking there and may not end with a good result.

I actually took my original A6 seat to a very good automotive trimmer and although he did what I asked for, it just wasn't right for me.
Then, one day in a fit of frustration, I pulled the damn think apart, removed all of the foam and the heated element and stuffed it with M&S Abbey sofa foam, which is what I comfortably sit on at my desk. That didn't work either!

I have tried all sorts of luxury seats and seats recommended by others, but without success.

The seats in the RS6 are 'Super Sports Seats', so they should not be comfortable for me, but, unbelievably, they are!

My wife hasn't commented, but I could hear her think, "Oh, how bleedin' convenient that he finds comfy seats and they just happen to be attached to an RS6!" :D

True, but with the upshot that if you *can* get it right, then you have a seat that can easily be taken from vehicle to vehicle. However, out of the box the best seats for me are still the ones in my E39 Sport.

True, but with the upshot that if you *can* get it right, then you have a seat that can easily be taken from vehicle to vehicle. However, out of the box the best seats for me are still the ones in my E39 Sport.

My E39 Alpina B10 had comfort seats fitted as standard and they were incredibly comfortable.

Most uncomfortable seats I found were in my old 212 E63 - and they were the top spec Nappa leather multi-contour, ventilated/heated/dynamic/massaging ones fully electronic adjustment with memory etc and only 11k on them when I got it - so fresh as they come really. Anything over about 1-2 hours and I was constantly wriggling around trying to get comfortable - not sure what it was about them, maybe a bit flat? Quite a disappointment for an otherwise superb car. Never had any problem with any other MB seats before or after, my GL ones are fine, as were the ones in my E55 I ran alongside it :cool:

D8087C2C-CD51-4FEB-A50F-E96EA4E8FA67.jpeg

Wouldn’t recommend trying those ones! :doh:

The seats in my 7 are great, I've always found big to be better.

My E39 Alpina B10 had comfort seats fitted as standard and they were incredibly comfortable.

I had a 3.0TDi A6 Avant and thought I would try a BMW for a change.
I went to test drive a 535 Tourer and I liked it. I memory serves me correctly it had the comfort seats which was part of the attraction and they were nice and comfy on the test drive.

Then something went wrong, fate and all that.

I got a fair few quid off the asking price and on the Friday, agreed the sale with the guy selling it.
On the Saturday, I posted pics of the car on a BMW forum asking for advice about wheels and mentioned in my post I was buying the car.
IIRC, I was to collect the car on the Tuesday.
On the Sunday or Monday, the seller contacted me to say his circumstances had changed and that he wold no longer sell the car.

So, either I got to much off the asking price and he had received a better offer, or someone on the BMW forum knew the car and made a better offer. Perhaps a bit of both happening, but I didn't get the car.

I then switched my attention back to Audi and bought the (quicker and prettier than the BMW) fantastic 3.0 BiTdi Avant, which led to me going down the RS6 route.

What will be will be.

Most uncomfortable seats I found were in my old 212 E63 - and they were the top spec Nappa leather multi-contour, ventilated/heated/dynamic/massaging ones fully electronic adjustment with memory etc and only 11k on them when I got it - so fresh as they come really. Anything over about 1-2 hours and I was constantly wriggling around trying to get comfortable - not sure what it was about them, maybe a bit flat? Quite a disappointment for an otherwise superb car. Never had any problem with any other MB seats before or after, my GL ones are fine, as were the ones in my E55 I ran alongside it :cool:

View attachment 98148

Wouldn’t recommend trying those ones! :doh:

The seats in my 3 and a half 210's I owned were perfect, especially those in the E430.
I just ran out of time with that model, I owned one of the last ones made, a 2003 model in a 211 colour, Tealite Blue.
When that failed its MOT on a number of things, I had to hunt for an alternative and the natural progression to the 211 was out, having already had a bad experience with those seats.

Yes I had a couple of 210s (both facelift models - an E320 and an E430 Avantvarde) and the seats in those were great. Funny enough I found my 211s both very comfortable but they were E55s so maybe a bit more supportive than the regular 211 seats? Comfort etc is a personal thing though anyway I guess :thumb: Even my last E55 with 150k+ under its belt was so much more comfy on long journeys than my E63 which I owned at the same time, so not just a memory thing either :)

I think I remember reading one or two others complain about the 212 seats somewhere before - they just felt flat and hard to me, although they looked nice! :cool:

The seats in my 7 are great, I've always found big to be better.

Indeed, I went along the big luxurious route when hunting for seats. Can't see the wood for the trees and all that...

BMW 7-Series seats. Now there's a thing...

I bought the RS6 that I am keeping in late March. Yes, in lockdown!

I'm based in Cheshire and the car was in Hampshire!

Option 1: Fly to Heathrow, stuck in an aluminium tube with a load of other people. NO!

Option 2: Get on a train with a load of potential Covid carriers. NO!

There was no point in considering the above options. Nice car - Mahogony overcoat, doesn't stack up.

Option 3: Get a taxi?

I went online and searched for the costs of a taxi for the circa 200 mile journey.
Plenty of quotes came through, starting at circa £340 and then reducing to around £200.

Something caught my eye...
A BMW 7-Series for £240.

I said on the booking for I wanted a careful driver and was told that the driver was very experienced and vary careful.

Oh, well... I took them at their word and the next morning, waited for what I thought would be a 60ish year old, slightly overweight, tired-looking fella.

I got the text to say that my driver was waiting outside.

What happened next had me thinking of looking around me for some sort of Jeremy Beadle-style prank.

The chauffeur, was stood at the rear O/S with the passenger door open inviting me into the car.
The chauffeur, was immaculately turned out in smart uniform.

The chauffeur, was a 39 year-old lady from Romania.
Her voice was beautiful, but she was bloomin' stunning. A very attractive woman.

The BMW was the long version, which gave fantastic extra legroom.
The glide to my destination was nothing short of fantastic. I'd say it was the most relaxing car journey I have ever had. A very good car indeed.
The gorgeous driver was as competent and skilled as any male driver I have sat with and a dream to converse with. Oh boy!

On arrival at my destination after wafting in relaxed calm for circa 200 miles.

1592693570228.png

1592693605692.png

I really wanted to take a picture of the driver, and although she may well have agreed, I though it was a bit of a cheap shot and she did move out of view when I took the pictures of the car.

The company that carried me safely to my destination are here. LINK.

If Carlsberg did taxis...

Last edited:
£240 for 400 miles? She might spent. Lose to half of that on fuel! That’s incredible value. Sounds like a great experience, and what a wonderful way to collect a new car 👍🏻

£240 for 400 miles? She might spent. Lose to half of that on fuel! That’s incredible value. Sounds like a great experience, and what a wonderful way to collect a new car 👍🏻

You don't miss much, Rob. ;)

I stand corrected.

When I saw an indication of how much the trip might be, I offered £240, but was willing to pay more.

The BMW came in at £300, but was still cheaper than some.

1592701337380.png

I still think it was great value for money. That I made it there safely, is priceless.
I wanted to go around again. She really was very sweet.

Whilst I can't remember the last time I was in a taxi, I was surprised that my nephew and niece turned up from London on Christmas Day in a taxi. :oops:
My sister had decided that she wasn't going to wait for the kids to finish their Christmas Eve celebrations this year and had driven up earlier. Your travel options are limited on Christmas Day, but the most convenient and cost effective turned out to be a private hire taxi for about £260.
I've no idea how firms can make money at that rate, but maybe it is at least maintaining some turnover:dk:

You don't miss much, Rob. ;)

I stand corrected.

When I saw an indication of how much the trip might be, I offered £240, but was willing to pay more.

The BMW came in at £300, but was still cheaper than some.

View attachment 98176

I still think it was great value for money. That I made it there safely, is priceless.
I wanted to go around again. She really was very sweet.
Still fantastic value even at £300.

Good job you didn't ask me for a quote from me ;)😂😂

It might have been worth the extra to chat with you for 3+ hours, Peter.
The interesting accounts of you working with Henry Cecil and the like would have made the journey fly by. :thumb: :thumb:

It might have been worth the extra to chat with you for 3+ hours, Peter.
The interesting accounts of you working with Henry Cecil and the like would have made the journey fly by. :thumb: :thumb:
I’m sure our good man Peter would have been even cheaper with your forum discount applied 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom