My New 'Summer' Tyres - Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkII

Car
Mercedes C-Class
OK, so after much debate I've decided to keep my recently refurbished AMG 18" alloys and use them as a Summer set (replacing the MAK Stern alloys/Nokian Weatherproof tyres I've had on over the Winter) - separate thread/pics to come when they've been fitted.

Looking at what tyres to fit, in the end it came down to the Continental ContiSportContact 5 or the newer (Jan 2016) Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

I've not driven on Michelin tyres for years but the stats favoured them over the Conti's and the reviews looked good - although I've seen some comments about the sidewall being softer, I'm not too concerned about that on the S204 and am happy to forego a little bit of precision at the limit for the ride quality the rest of the time, especially around here, where the country roads now resemble the surface of the moon!! :crazy:

The PS4 tyres are rated as follows:
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
Treadwear: 320 (very good for a sports tyre)

EU Tyre Label
Economy: C (rated as a 'low rolling resistance' tyre and much better than the E/F of other tyres)
Wet Grip: A (The 'MO' Conti's were 'B' in my size or 'A' if not 'MO' marked)
Noise: 71dB

Picture of the PS4:

Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-e1460532280985.jpg

Having gathered some costings from the internet, I spoke to Stafford Tyres, where I had my wheel alignment done (see my other thread on 4 Wheel Alignment) - they bettered the lowest price (from Tyre Leader), so I had a set of four Michelin PS4's (225/40 ZR 18 92Y Fr and 255/35 ZR18 94Y Rr) fitted and balanced for £460.

I'll see how they fare and whether I need to make any adjustments (like tyre pressures) down the line.

Anyway, time (and the seat of my pants) will tell whether I've made the right decision but for now I'm happy.

HTH Mark :)

Last edited:
OK, so after much debate I've decided to keep my recently refurbished AMG 18" alloys and use them as a Summer set (replacing the MAK Stern alloys/Nokian Weatherproof tyres I've had on over the Winter) - separate thread/pics to come when they've been fitted.

Looking at what tyres to fit, in the end it came down to the Continental ContiSportContact 5 or the newer (Jan 2016) Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

I've not driven on Michelin tyres for years but the stats favoured them over the Conti's and the reviews looked good - although I've seen some comments about the sidewall being softer, I'm not too concerned about that on the S204 and am happy to forego a little bit of precision at the limit for the ride quality the rest of the time, especially around here, where the country roads now resemble the surface of the moon!! :crazy:

The PS4 tyres are rated as follows:
Traction: AA
Temperature: A
Treadwear: 320 (very good for a sports tyre)

EU Tyre Label
Economy: C (rated as a 'low rolling resistance' tyre and much better than the E/F of other tyres)
Wet Grip: A (The Conti's were 'B' in my size)
Noise: 71dB

Picture of the PS4:

View attachment 57664

Having gathered some costings from the internet, I spoke to Stafford Tyres, where I had my wheel alignment done (see my other thread on 4 Wheel Alignment) - they bettered the lowest price (from Tyre Leader), so I had a set of four Michelin PS4's (225/40 ZR 18 92Y Fr and 255/35 ZR18 94Y Rr) fitted and balanced for £460.

I'll see how they fare and whether I need to make any adjustments (like tyre pressures) down the line.

Anyway, time (and the seat of my pants) will tell whether I've made the right decision but for now I'm happy.

HTH Mark :)

Mark that seems like excellent value!

Mark that seems like excellent value!

Yes I thought so too :thumb:

The art of good negotiation "smile nicely BEFORE you punch 'em between the eyes" :D

Joking aside, I just took the lowest and second lowest internet costings with me and said I'd prefer to deal locally if at all possible.

Mark :)

Last edited:
good to know.

..Contact5 is good, Continental ContiSportContact 5 review | Tyre reviews: best tyres 2015 | Auto Express

but the rim protection and tyre wear is poor.

the level of rim protection doesn't look too dissimilar on the Pilot Sport 4, but hopefully the tyre wear is better, i.e. lasts longer and performs as good if not better.

Agreed, the Conti CSC 5 is a very good tyre and I did seriously consider it and might have gone for the CSC 6 if I were running 19's+ but I take a slightly circumspect view of AE's testing - given that it took place at Conti's own Uvalde proving ground in Texas

The rim protection looks reasonable, though IMHO I think the protection on the Conti is more rigid and therefore a little safer if you do mistakenly brush a kerb.

The UTQG rating of 320 for treadwear on the Michelin is very good and with the low mileage I do nowadays, they should serve me well for a few years.

Mark :)

Last edited:
Buy what you fancy and live with them unless they feel dangerous or are too low in tread for your own standards.

Virtually all new tyres will give a positive feel over any worn tyre. Even ditch finders

Few of us ever compare brand new tyres for real. Even fewer will push a tyre to it's performance limits unless under emergency conditions.

I've recently ditched Bridgestones (that I've always got on well with) for Avons new ZV7. They are like superglue. Quiet, economy seems slightly better but that could be my imagination, but the main thing is their wet breaking and handling performance is streaks ahead of anything else ive used including Goodyear F1. Alledgedly they give good type wear too, but i'll tell you that in 2 years time :)

I would never touch continentals - they have been slowly dropping in quality for many years now and tedn to come out mid field at best in most reviews - the only set I had lasted just over 10k miles which just isn't good enough for a £130 tyre. Even the F1,s lasts 15k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom