My New Toy Arrived Home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely car, just need it in bright red, "Taxi" style

Already got one taxi in grey, don't need another. :)

Congratulations Dave, lovely motor.

It even comes with an appropriate plate (JET) for when you've finished with it and it will be running 500bhp :thumb:

This one will be staying absolutely standard. :D

Lovely Dave - just don't take the badges off...

They're staying on John, they seem to suit this one, though there are an awful amount of numbers... Hmmm. ;)

Just beautiful Dave, well done. Particularly like the alloys...Evos are they? :thumb:.

Not sure Derek. They are similar to the ones they fitted to the EVO2 but I very much doubt they're original. If they are I'm putting more locks on them as they're worth a right few quid nowadays.

Thanks for all your kind comments guys, just been giving it a quick clean up seeing what I'm up against with it. Interior is stunning, even got the original rubber mats. The boot looks like it's never been used, and there's a brand new fully fitted breathable cover in there. One scab found on the rear quarter but less than an inch long so it can stay for a while until I've sorted a few other jobs out on it. Think it's definitely a keeper. :cool:

Wow - great looking car.
They really don't make them like that anymore!
Would love to see what a 2017 car looks like in 27-30 years time!

A few new pictures, just because really. :)

Interior%202.jpg

Badges for John

JET%20Rear.jpg

Original Fist Aid kit

First%20Aid.jpg

JET%20Front.jpg

Nice one Dave. A real classic you have picked up there and in great condition by the looks of it.

The central stop watch thingy in that extra transmision tunnel 3 gauge display under the radio are highly prized as they often give up the ghost!

Not sure Derek. They are similar to the ones they fitted to the EVO2 but I very much doubt they're original. If they are I'm putting more locks on them as they're worth a right few quid nowadays.

Are they 17"? FWIW the ones on my R129 were marked 8 1/4 J x 17 H2 ET34 on the back of the spokes, plus part number 124 401 17 02 (I believe B6 6 47 0061 is also a genuine M-B part number for the same wheel sold as an "accessory").

They are properly called "Ceginus" wheels btw, although most people know them as "Evo" or "Evo II".

Ceginus alloys, very nice. If the temp gauge and stopwatch LCDs have gone there is a good guy on the 190 forum who sells replacements.

First thing I'd do is check compression. The valves need regular lapping and the loss of compression can be considerable.

Love the sportline interior, so 80s German it's adorable.

My 2.5-16 was Almandine, it's a beautiful colour.

It has done Graeme. :( It's the only thing not working on the car, but I've found a replacement for it already.

Posts overlapping there.

Good info on the wheels thanks and yes, they are 17". Not checked for marks as not had them off yet, though will have later in the week so will have a look round them.

Outside temp display is fine, just the stop clock which is dead though as I mentioned I can get this sorted hopefully...

ETA for Charles: The engine has had the head rebuilt about 1,000 miles ago, so hopefully should be OK, though I'll take your advice and check compressions

Last edited:
Should be fine then.

Sounds like a good un!

From the MoT history, someone wasn't too bothered about the iffy brakes....

Great looking example.

Not seen any in that colour before that I can recall.

Nice!

I thought the majority of those would be the dog leg manual...

Good info on the wheels thanks and yes, they are 17". Not checked for marks as not had them off yet, though will have later in the week so will have a look round them.

If you have an inspection mirror you can read the back of the spokes while the wheels are still on the car :)

The last set of genuine 8.25" Cegnius I saw went for just under £1k.

They also do a 7.5" version as well, I believe.

From the MoT history, someone wasn't too bothered about the iffy brakes....

That was then, this is now and all the brakes (including pipes) are new. :)

Great looking example.

Not seen any in that colour before that I can recall.

Nice!

I thought the majority of those would be the dog leg manual...

I think there were more manuals than automatics John, but there don't seem to be too many of either around nowadays. I need an auto because I'm old, tired and lazy (with a bad back). :D

If you have an inspection mirror you can read the back of the spokes while the wheels are still on the car :)

Got a ramp Bill, saves all the hassle. :) The wheels will be off today to clean and paint the hubs so I'll look then hopefully.

Not sure what width these are or even if they're genuine. I do know that they have 205 tyres fitted though, and they seem a little narrow for the rim though, as they're all nearly new, they'll be staying for a while.

Looks nice. Had a 190D as a company car back in the day (F plate) it was appreciation of that car that made me return to the fold. Yours might be a bit quicker then the 190D I had!

Post more pics when you have time.

Nothing much to report really, the cleaning has started but I'm not going to bore you with pictures of that. I thought the car was clean when I picked it up, but an hour or so with a clay bar (2 actually, both now in the bin) proved me wrong. So much ingrained dirt on the thing, probably as it's just sat about in a garage for the last couple of years. I still have the bottom half to do (plastic) but got the big bits sorted now...

Got the rust off the rear hubs and painted them silver again, though not done the hub face so will address the bit where the wheel doesn't touch at a later stage. Also gave the rear callipers a quick coat of black, again just a stop gap really till I get chance to do it properly. New pads all round which is a bonus. I'll try to get the front ones done later in the week, though this work thing keeps getting in the way...

The 7.5" is what I seem to have. They look to be genuine as well. I can't remember the part number, and forgot to take a photo wile they were off, though will check them out at a later stage as they'll be off again soon. :)

Incredible colour, like others never seen them in that finish!..

Any specific plans for the car, or just keep tidy and enjoy?

Agree about the colour, it really is nice. As for doing anything with it then no, apart from make it as original as possible. I certainly won't be modding this one :D

All fluids seem clean and fresh, all levels checked and spot on, though I will change the transmission oil and filter, mainly for my own peace of mind. Engine oil was done less that 1,000 miles ago. I'll just go through it slowly and check the little bits which I feel confident with, anything I'm unsure of I'll be letting a proper mechanic sort it.

Oh, and the stopwatch thing actually works after I cheated and looked in the book for the instructions. I tried it today, along with everything else including the sunroof, and all seems fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom