My new Toy CLS 55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy27168

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
65 Plate E350 CDI Convertible, 2006 CLS 55 AMG, 1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
Hi,
As some of you are aware I was recently involved in a motorway pile up which marked the demise of my much loved 202 C55 AMG :(
Well having been surprised by the amount the insurance paid out for the 202 and having sold some rare 202 parts I decided I would go for another AMG though I was very undecided which one to buy, I had decided to move on to a newer model, and I considered every model within my price range which and decided on a CLS 55, though I did consider a 63 but the one I looked at fell through after an inspection by an independent.
I found one on E-bay a week ago now and contacted the seller and asked the relevant questions and made arrangements to see it after new year on the Friday just gone.
After viewing it, it wasn't without its faults which I picked out and used these to negotiate on the price.
It is 55 plate CLS 55 AMG in Obsiddian Black, reg. 23/12/2005 so it is still cheaper to tax, unlike some other slightly later 55's.
It has only 70,000 miles on it, and though advertised with full main dealer history this proved to be incorrect as it appears the service where the Gearbox oil was due to be changed was done by an Indy Mercservices, and then the rest has been done by MB Epsom, with the last service in July 2014 confirmed by MB for me. but it appears that they didn't reset the ASSYST.
Not bad spec,
Command,
Harmon Kardon,
CD Changer,
TV Tuner,
Bluetooth Phone Prep,
Heated and Climate Controlled Seats,
Dynamic and Massage Seats,
Sunroof,
Bi-Xenons with cornering function (??)
Heated Rear Seats,
TPMS High line (though inoperative because of the non gen wheels)
As well as all the normal AMG extras.

It has had the grill and grill badge painted black, the side wing badges and the CLS 55 Badge removed and all other badges painted black, not sure yet whether I like this.
It has a set of 20" wheels which are painted black with the outer part of the rims polished.
I have potential few mods/retro fits to investigate but this will depend on whether I decide its a keeper.
A few pics, none of the interior though,

Last edited:
Lovely thing, Andy. :cool:

It's nice to hear that the insurance company were fair in the value of the payout. Hope the car is good enough to be a keeper. :thumb:

I like it. I'd have the MB grill and bootlid badge back to chrome though.

+1 about the wheels

Stonkin' mean lookin' beastie. If you've got it flaunt it.

No one is gonna miss you in that pupster.

Nice find. I'd put the badges back on and look for some more subtle wheels, but that's just me. Congrats!

Must just be me then i think the wheels set it off a treat! But i do agree about the grill and badges.....Hope your happy with it.

Tony.

Nice car mate.
The wheels are not to my taste, but I wouldn't be too worried with 500bhp. :)

Cornering function is where the projected light from the headlights will move left or right depending on your steering input.

Cornering function is where the projected light from the headlights will move left or right depending on your steering input.

Yeah I know what it is its just I,m not sure if I have got it, as I may of misinterpreted the option codes and I,m not really sure where in the cluster menu it is and what it would be described as.

Cheers for the comments guys, and all your comments regardng the black or lack of badges, grill and wheels are exactly what is going through h my head should I change or not.
If I replace the wheels they will be with standard 19" MB Items, though i have it insured with these wheels I did say I would be replacing them at some point and apparently there is a note on the insurance documents stating this.
I am in the process of buying a Viseo MB-4 Bluetooth Module, and an up to date Sat Nav disc from Comandonline as the disc is running version 4.1 at the moment and the latest version is 15! so well out of date.

Very nice!

Id go back with Chrome badges and grill.

Yeah I know what it is its just I,m not sure if I have got it, as I may of misinterpreted the option codes and I,m not really sure where in the cluster menu it is and what it would be described as.

Cheers for the comments guys, and all your comments regardng the black or lack of badges, grill and wheels are exactly what is going through h my head should I change or not.
If I replace the wheels they will be with standard 19" MB Items, though i have it insured with these wheels I did say I would be replacing them at some point and apparently there is a note on the insurance documents stating this.
I am in the process of buying a Viseo MB-4 Bluetooth Module, and an up to date Sat Nav disc from Comandonline as the disc is running version 4.1 at the moment and the latest version is 15! so well out of date.

Either keep as is or change the grilles and wheels, either way it's a lovely looking car. If I could use a saloon, it's what I'd go for without question.

Sat Nav disc - I remember my VX Omega had disc navigation but I only updated it once early in its life. Travelling along the M6 Toll at motorway speeds was fun "at the next roundabout, take the 1st exit." etc. :D

Ah... You need to look on the data card for "active curve light".

I can tell from just a picture of the headlights for a prefacelift W211/S211, not sure about the CLS.

Ah... You need to look on the data card for "active curve light".

I can tell from just a picture of the headlights for a prefacelift W211/S211, not sure about the CLS.

Just looked on the cars Data card and it has Option Code 616 "BI-XENON HEADLIGHT W.ACTIVE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE", so it looks like it does have it :) just need to find out how to turn it on then check its working.

Last edited:
Congrats! A very good choice indeed! I removed all my boot lid badges except the star, kept that in chrome as the front. Think the car sits well on those rims, but that's just my 2P worth! Enjoy it, they really are super machines.

Well I have ordered a Viseo MB-4 Bluetooth module and the latest Sat Nav Disc.
Can anyone tell me what the procedure is for doing the Sat Nav update? (Nav processor in the Boot) is it just a matter of taking the old disc out and putting in the new one? Does the disc stay in the drive or do I take it out after the update? How long should it take?
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom