My newest baby - SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrandom

MB Enthusiast
Berks mainly, UK. Devon too a lot of the time.
Car
1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2CV6.
No longer able to control myself, i bought another W126 or C126 it should be.

Its a 1990 420SEC. I've been really busy working through its issues, which i have to say aren't many at all. Even the sunroof and air con works! One seat belt presenter is out of action but its only the relay and its on its way. It has a rotten parcel shelf but not very rusty apart from that. Plus it was cheap!
No MOT or tax when i got it but passed with no fuss at all.

Pretty taken with this car already, its lovely to drive and more different to my SE than i thought it would be. SO much more low slung in feel, and much tighter around the bends. And a fair bit quicker too, its a later version of the 420 which makes a bit more power than my '86.

Still having a high idle, it often gets a bit smokey when its doing this. I've improved it bit it just seems to switch to high idle mode still sometimes.

Overheated nearly too during an extended London traffic jam the other day. I found the electric fan was seized, freed it up out of the car and now re-fitted it seems okay.

Attachments

• car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 133
  • car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 130
  • car3.jpg
    car3.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 130
Congratulations! Love the colour on it, and the shape. So jealous of people who can keep more than one car!

Superb! great colour combo too!

Congratulations! Love the colour on it, and the shape. So jealous of people who can keep more than one car!

Ha, my secret is i cycle everywhere and always have. But have a very regular Reading to South Devon trip which i need a car for. I take the SE as a treat sometimes. Havent risked the SEC yet til its a bit more fettled..

I'd prefer the SEC. My car is the W140 SEL - so expensive to run and I should have a big sticker saying "Greenpeace This!" on it. How people can afford to run two I have no idea! Plus I live in central London with resident parking and I'm only allowed one permit!

Enjoy the car, adore it. I had a 560SEC in ~1990/1991 which I adored. Looked just like yours, coming to think of it it was the same colour!

That looks very tasty indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom