My next Mercedes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 6cyl, Oct 11, 2019.

1. 6cyl

6cyl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS320 CDI
    I have a 2009 CLS 320CDI, which I love driving, but the need for a more practical car beckons. I hired a 2019 E220d estate not long ago, it wasn't too far off the pace of my 320 tbh and it was very economical 60mpg + which is a good 50% more than the 320, but the sound was nothing to write home about, though they seemed to have made the 4 cylinder diesel a lot less agricultural than before. It felt light on its feet too, though the cabin looks like a throwback from the 80s with the neons etc.

The amount of money I (could) be spending opens up a whole carnucopia (deliberate spelling) of cars, including the 6.2L and 5.5L E63. I'm sure it'll be a struggle to get much more than 50% mpg compared with my old 320, though that sound ! I could go older and start looking at E55 too. I know the cars I've listed are poles apart, but I'm torn between being sensible and why the hell not !? Plus I've never driven a V8 before.

Any thoughts on reliability, cost to run etc?
    I'm getting on a bit, so insurance isn't a problem. Milage-wise, I'll be doing 12k Miles a year ish.

Thanks muchly.

2. Mr. B

Mr. B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Flat 2, 12 Arbour Road, Highbury, London, England.
    Car:
    1977 British Leyland Mini 1000 Mark 4
    “I'm torn between being sensible and why the hell not”

With respect don’t be sensible at your age. If you are thinking of doing it then just do it. I can only comment on a C63 that I once owned and regretted selling. No issues with reliability. Insurance reasonable for an oldish fart. If your concerned about running costs then a C63 isn’t the car for you. Not the most economical car ie. 22 mpg average but the V8 made it worthwhile. Expensive to service at MB also. Make your decision before you test drive one. Once driven you won’t look back. At 12k miles per annum it won’t be cheap to run but from one old fart to another why the hell not :)

MrRight likes this.
  3. SW18

SW18 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E500 Sport
    Ouch, at 22mpg that’s about £4K per year in fuel. The road tax on the V8s is £560 per year as well. But (even though mine’s not an AMG) I just love the driving experience and don’t ever regret the extra cost.

4. Teego

Teego Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS55 AMG
    Who gets 22mpg? Last 15000 miles I averaged 20mpg. Road tax can be paid monthly.
    I've had no unforeseen problems and servicing at my indie is affordable and knowledgable.
    Costs are maybe 30% more than the average daily. Small price to pay for having fun.
    Get something with the M113K Kompressor engine. They are supposed to be bullet proof. Mine is really understressed. 2000rpm @ 70mph. But you get gobs of torque.
    You have to put time and effort into finding a good one.

merc85, Gbrowncls55 and SW18 like this.
  5. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R172 SLK 55AMG , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Be totally impractical and get one like mine, you may not get much in it but it does do more than 20 mpg and road tax only £300

6. Gbrowncls55

Gbrowncls55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS55 AMG 06, SL350 06, 996 cab, all current. Gone : E500 W211, 2x M5s and far,far too many 911s
    Like you I'm always torn between being sensible and practical and a why the hell not V8. For some reason despite all the evidence the latter always seems to win.

7. Atavus

Atavus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S63 AMG Coupe
    Have a drive and see what you think. Fuel, tyres and road tax are a given. Check the service costs if you want to be better informed.

Plenty of more sensible options out there, of course. It’s not what the 63 cars are about.

8. Srdl

Srdl Member

Car:
    GLC43 AMG, 2018
    Go for it, from another old fart. I bought an entirely practical car 12 months ago which also happens to be my first AMG. OK only a V6 but I’m thoroughly enjoying it! :)

9. Muckypaps

Muckypaps Active Member

Car:
    CLS63S
    There's no better way to spend money than in the fuel tank of a V8.
    If there is please tell me before I die.

Srdl, jdrrco, merc85 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mr. B

Mr. B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Flat 2, 12 Arbour Road, Highbury, London, England.
    Car:
    1977 British Leyland Mini 1000 Mark 4
    B4987159-7FA0-4829-AD04-662C251F3ED6.jpeg
    A night on town and a juicy kebab from Sheffield Road ?

11. jdrrco

jdrrco Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    X218 CLS500 AMG BlueEfficiency Sport Shooting Brake - name almost as long as the car...
    CLS SB is more practical than a CLS, but much less boring than any other estate on the planet.

Mactech likes this.
  12. Muckypaps

Muckypaps Active Member

Car:
    CLS63S
    A night on town and a juicy kebab from Sheffield Road ?[/QUOTE]

Tarn nights are in the past.
    Kebabs on Just Eat.

13. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S65, E55TT & RR 5.0 SC
    I had a 2019 E220d as a loaner car for a few days. I absolutely loved it. I then had a brand new 2019 S350d for a few weeks and loved it even more. S-Class had somewhat similar economy to the E but was an overall much more pleasant car to be in with more poke. The infotainment tech could be at times overwhelming, yes. But give it time and busy (at first) steering wheel feels like second nature. As these were all MB supplied loaners I had to sadly return them back. I especially miss the facelift S350d... Bottom line, buy the V8.

14. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S65, E55TT & RR 5.0 SC
    All Terrain E beats it.