My next Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6cyl

Car
CLS320 CDI
I have a 2009 CLS 320CDI, which I love driving, but the need for a more practical car beckons. I hired a 2019 E220d estate not long ago, it wasn't too far off the pace of my 320 tbh and it was very economical 60mpg + which is a good 50% more than the 320, but the sound was nothing to write home about, though they seemed to have made the 4 cylinder diesel a lot less agricultural than before. It felt light on its feet too, though the cabin looks like a throwback from the 80s with the neons etc.

The amount of money I (could) be spending opens up a whole carnucopia (deliberate spelling) of cars, including the 6.2L and 5.5L E63. I'm sure it'll be a struggle to get much more than 50% mpg compared with my old 320, though that sound ! I could go older and start looking at E55 too. I know the cars I've listed are poles apart, but I'm torn between being sensible and why the hell not !? Plus I've never driven a V8 before.

Any thoughts on reliability, cost to run etc?
I'm getting on a bit, so insurance isn't a problem. Milage-wise, I'll be doing 12k Miles a year ish.

Thanks muchly.

“I'm torn between being sensible and why the hell not”

With respect don’t be sensible at your age. If you are thinking of doing it then just do it. I can only comment on a C63 that I once owned and regretted selling. No issues with reliability. Insurance reasonable for an oldish fart. If your concerned about running costs then a C63 isn’t the car for you. Not the most economical car ie. 22 mpg average but the V8 made it worthwhile. Expensive to service at MB also. Make your decision before you test drive one. Once driven you won’t look back. At 12k miles per annum it won’t be cheap to run but from one old fart to another why the hell not :)

Milage-wise, I'll be doing 12k Miles a year ish.
Ouch, at 22mpg that’s about £4K per year in fuel. The road tax on the V8s is £560 per year as well. But (even though mine’s not an AMG) I just love the driving experience and don’t ever regret the extra cost.

Who gets 22mpg? Last 15000 miles I averaged 20mpg. Road tax can be paid monthly.
I've had no unforeseen problems and servicing at my indie is affordable and knowledgable.
Costs are maybe 30% more than the average daily. Small price to pay for having fun.
Get something with the M113K Kompressor engine. They are supposed to be bullet proof. Mine is really understressed. 2000rpm @ 70mph. But you get gobs of torque.
You have to put time and effort into finding a good one.

Be totally impractical and get one like mine, you may not get much in it but it does do more than 20 mpg and road tax only £300

Like you I'm always torn between being sensible and practical and a why the hell not V8. For some reason despite all the evidence the latter always seems to win.

Have a drive and see what you think. Fuel, tyres and road tax are a given. Check the service costs if you want to be better informed.

Plenty of more sensible options out there, of course. It’s not what the 63 cars are about.

Go for it, from another old fart. I bought an entirely practical car 12 months ago which also happens to be my first AMG. OK only a V6 but I’m thoroughly enjoying it! :)

B4987159-7FA0-4829-AD04-662C251F3ED6.jpeg
There's no better way to spend money than in the fuel tank of a V8.
If there is please tell me before I die.
A night on town and a juicy kebab from Sheffield Road ?

CLS SB is more practical than a CLS, but much less boring than any other estate on the planet.

A night on town and a juicy kebab from Sheffield Road ?[/QUOTE]

Tarn nights are in the past.
Kebabs on Just Eat.

I had a 2019 E220d as a loaner car for a few days. I absolutely loved it. I then had a brand new 2019 S350d for a few weeks and loved it even more. S-Class had somewhat similar economy to the E but was an overall much more pleasant car to be in with more poke. The infotainment tech could be at times overwhelming, yes. But give it time and busy (at first) steering wheel feels like second nature. As these were all MB supplied loaners I had to sadly return them back. I especially miss the facelift S350d... Bottom line, buy the V8.

haven't been visited for a few days and missed out on your replies till now
I do feel like I'm missing out by going sensible.
I'll probably not keep one for too long, but I'll do it for the experience.

I could go M113K, M156 or M157 ?
Now to decide how much I want to spend and the search starts now ! Just need to be mindful I don't bottle it and get a CLS350D SB instead of a CLS63 SB or E55/63 estate.

Any thoughts on reliability, cost to run etc?
I'm getting on a bit, so insurance isn't a problem. Milage-wise, I'll be doing 12k Miles a year ish.
As others have said already, get that itch scratched - you’ll not regret it.

Regarding running costs, take a look here: W212 E63 End of Term Report

I have been a Mercedes buyer all my life but now having looked at Jeep high class SUVs (Cherokee) whose maximum price is $90,000, I am switching over to Jeep SUVs.

When you get a muscular SUV for $90,000 that makes ease of bad roads and remote areas, why spend $200,000 on a luxury car.
Just out of interest then, why have you joined us here?

haven't been visited for a few days and missed out on your replies till now
I do feel like I'm missing out by going sensible.
I'll probably not keep one for too long, but I'll do it for the experience.

I could go M113K, M156 or M157 ?
Now to decide how much I want to spend and the search starts now ! Just need to be mindful I don't bottle it and get a CLS350D SB instead of a CLS63 SB or E55/63 estate.

Your budget will decide whether to get an M113K or the later M156 or M157. You won't be disappointed by any of them as long as you are aware the fuel costs will be much higher doing 12k a year.
If you go for the M113K you'll most likely be in the lower road fund licence bracket of £320 pa compared to the 2006> higher rates of £550+ pa.

You only come this way once, so do it for the experience and the fun a V8 gives in spades.

Just out of interest then, why have you joined us here?

Judging by the rest of their posts so far, to spout utter b*llocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom