My next Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your budget will decide whether to get an M113K or the later M156 or M157. You won't be disappointed by any of them as long as you are aware the fuel costs will be much higher doing 12k a year.
If you go for the M113K you'll most likely be in the lower road fund licence bracket of £320 pa compared to the 2006> higher rates of £550+ pa.

You only come this way once, so do it for the experience and the fun a V8 gives in spades.

My budget is flexible. From what I've seen, E55 estate will be between £8-12K ish, E63 £14-20K, E63 5.5 £23-28K.
The sensible option will be a 2018 E220d premium with 8K on the clock for circa £25K, but it has neither the blood and guts of a V8, but it does have appeal as it was a very good companion for a week and 1500 miles. Road tax is £460 for a Euro6 diesel!

My budget is flexible. From what I've seen, E55 estate will be between £8-12K ish, E63 £14-20K, E63 5.5 £23-28K.
The sensible option will be a 2018 E220d premium with 8K on the clock for circa £25K, but it has neither the blood and guts of a V8, but it does have appeal as it was a very good companion for a week and 1500 miles. Road tax is £460 for a Euro6 diesel!

Found the perfect one for you...

Auto Trader logo

jdrrco
that looks interesting, forgot about the shooting brake - stylised estate.
thanks for posting the link.

jdrrco
that looks interesting, forgot about the shooting brake - stylised estate.
thanks for posting the link.
You're very welcome. The SB is perfectly practical enough for most purposes and handles much better than the E. We have two large dogs and they fit in the back no problem. We've also had an antique hall stand in there (over 6' tall) without any issue (not at the same time as the dogs!) and over 300 bottles of wine together with two people and luggage travelling back from France. Airmatic came into its own for that.

The AMG version must be amazing. I have the 500 - 4.7l V8 Biturbo - which is plenty quick enough for me... mostly. That one has clearly been looked after, low mileage and has all the toys. If you can live with the black-on-black colour scheme, it could be just what you want.

Last edited:
That one has clearly been looked after, low mileage and has all the toys.
It does look tidy, but curiously it looks as though the tyre valves are of the regular variety, rather than TPMS sensors?

It does look tidy, but curiously it looks as though the tyre valves are of the regular variety, rather than TPMS sensors?
How do you tell? I have TPMS and the valves don't look any different as far as I can see.

Normally the TPMS valves are all metal and have a nut at the bottom of the thread to clamp the sensor to the rim. The ones in the photo look like ordinary rubber valves - but I could be wrong. Just something to check if viewing the car.

Normally the TPMS valves are all metal and have a nut at the bottom of the thread to clamp the sensor to the rim. The ones in the photo look like ordinary rubber valves - but I could be wrong. Just something to check if viewing the car.
I've just checked mine and you're right!

St13Phil - Mr Eagle Eyes

“I'm torn between being sensible and why the hell not”

With respect don’t be sensible at your age. If you are thinking of doing it then just do it. I can only comment on a C63 that I once owned and regretted selling. No issues with reliability. Insurance reasonable for an oldish fart. If your concerned about running costs then a C63 isn’t the car for you. Not the most economical car ie. 22 mpg average but the V8 made it worthwhile. Expensive to service at MB also. Make your decision before you test drive one. Once driven you won’t look back. At 12k miles per annum it won’t be cheap to run but from one old fart to another why the hell not :)

It's an entirely different car but it sounds like the budget would also stretch to (W222) S350.

AMG SB. Haven’t seen much of these on the market. Wish I bought one instead of the C63 and I now found myself looking at a E220 estate

AMG SB. Haven’t seen much of these on the market. Wish I bought one instead of the C63 and I now found myself looking at a E220 estate

That is something I have never read on this forum before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom