My NTG1 produces 'wobbly' music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
I have a NTG1 Comand system and it seems to be faulty.

When I play a home-made DVD of music MP3's, it has a second of complete silence about 5 seconds into the song.

This happens for each track, and is really annoying.

I've experimented with various different DVD media (all +R), different burning programs including Nero 7, and even tried burning a couple on another machine, but still no luck :mad:

There’s a second problem too. The NTG1 produces 'wobbly' (slightly garbled) music whilst the mobile phone side of it is reading the sim card. Once it’s finished reading the sim, the music clears up nicely.

Also, if I receive a text whilst mid song, I get a couple of second’s silence. I guess the NTG1 is shyte at multi-tasking?

I might add I have a Mcar Bluetooth unit fitted by ComandOnline. However, the above DVD issue must be the NTG1 only, as one feeds the DVD into it directly :confused:

Is this standard behaviour for a (5 years old) NTG1 or do I have a reason to call the MB dealership for a warranty repair, etc.

Anyone with an NTG1 having the same niggles?

Might try that from my iPhone just for an experiment.

I use an old iPod Touch which I leave permenently connected via the glove box Aux in for my music and use the car cradle or blutooth for the iPhone for calls etc

Can't say I've ever used the Phone for music even though all my stuff is on there to

Pitts Pilot

Yes, there isn;t enough CPU in the NTG1 on the SL (and S and CL)

The wobble during phonebook upload is caused by the address-sort into alphabetical order. Make sure you have the latest firmware on the mCar as I know they have done some stuff to make the NTG1 only have to do short bursts of address sorting instead. (I can't remember when we installed your car)

The silence on text message, I think, is a design feature so you know a text has arrived.

The MP3 DVD thing sounds too like its running out of CPU whilst trying to do something. There is however a firmware update for SL head units (I don't know when it arrived) that may be worth doing - but I am paranoid with SL head units as they are impossible to get "used", and costs ££££ from MB - so if it breaks during the upgrade there is big trouble (and yes, 1 SL has broken on me ..)

Richard

Pitts Pilot

Yes, there isn;t enough CPU in the NTG1 on the SL (and S and CL)

The wobble during phonebook upload is caused by the address-sort into alphabetical order. Make sure you have the latest firmware on the mCar as I know they have done some stuff to make the NTG1 only have to do short bursts of address sorting instead. (I can't remember when we installed your car)

The silence on text message, I think, is a design feature so you know a text has arrived.

The MP3 DVD thing sounds too like its running out of CPU whilst trying to do something. There is however a firmware update for SL head units (I don't know when it arrived) that may be worth doing - but I am paranoid with SL head units as they are impossible to get "used", and costs ££££ from MB - so if it breaks during the upgrade there is big trouble (and yes, 1 SL has broken on me ..)

Richard

Thanks Richard

Mark and Rob installed the Mcar back in April of this year (good job done), but did not touch the firmware of the NTG1.

As the car is still under its one year Tier 1 warranty, I'll take it to a MB dealer and ask for the firmware upgrade.

On a related matter, are all NTG2.5's the same, or do I have to search for one specifically taken from a SL?

I'll thinking of an upgrade. Any idea of your installation costs?

Cheers :)

SL is different to the rest. I need a good look at the VIN to work out what is on the car and thus the upgrade costs ... (as things like BOSE have to get switched out for HK if you have BOSE, or wiring moved to the front)

NTG2.5 is a great addition.

Cheers

Richard

SL is different to the rest. I need a good look at the VIN to work out what is on the car and thus the upgrade costs ... (as things like BOSE have to get switched out for HK if you have BOSE, or wiring moved to the front)
Well we could meet up at Lightwater some time and have a look at the car and a chat?

Incidentally, I visited my local MB dealer today and enquired after a firmware update for my NTG1.

Using the Chassis number as a reference they stated there was no firmware upgrade.

This left me a tad surprised, particuarly in the light of what you said :confused:

Are they giving me the 'brush off'?

PS. My Chassis/VIN is: WDB 230456 2F 13406585
Hope that helps?

Hi Robert
The issue with your car is it has BOSE sound system, and it needs the HK system. We can just swop the amplifier to NTG2.5 and the subwoofer, and leave the BOSE speakers in, but the HK ones do sound much better in my opinion.

Pop down and see us. (arrange before, and i'll make sure i bring in the SL55 with HK, Media Interface etc). Im in all Tuesdays, but not hard for me to be there on other days

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom