My nuts are corroded - should I go see a doctor?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyjenkins

Car
S204 C250 Sport
My, fast approaching 1 year old C250 has 100% perfect 18" AMG alloys, not a scratch on them. However, the nuts keeping them on the car, are another matter. They look like they're corroding ?

Pics say it all ...

Is this "expected" ? I had the same problem on a spanking new Ford Mondeo 4 years ago. Yet the wife's Alfa MiTo does not have this problem. (Same detergents / car cleaning places etc etc).

Attachments

• DSC00537.JPG
    DSC00537.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00536-1.JPG
    DSC00536-1.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 114
Common problem and not helped by a lot of the acid based wheel cleaners readily available today.
I removed mine, treated them and resprayed them.

You can get them replaced under warranty, the locking ones as well. Had mine done recently during a service.

my nuts are the same, cars going in for a service in a few weeks so will get them replaced hopefully

You can get them replaced under warranty, the locking ones as well. Had mine done recently during a service.

Yep, mine were replaced under warranty as well.

(... and the new ones are now starting to corrode again)

Thanks guys, I'll have a word with the dealer. The car has only just come back from its 1st service last week, so a little disappointed that they did not volunteer to get them replaced (especially as they had to take the wheels off to do the service). I got a free box of sweets though ;o)

AndyJenkins,

Try this:
Put a piece of dowel or a thinish tube or a drill bit (you get the idea) into a drill chuck and tape round some sandpaper. Touch the spinning make**** tool onto the top of the rusty nuts and take off the excess loose rust - it'll take you no more than 10 mins to do the lot.
Get a dry brush and brush the top and round the offending wheel nuts that you've just sanded up.

Next - Apply some Hammerite "On Rust" Silver paint (£5 or less for a sizeabale tin and you'll never use it all) and give all the Nuts one coat with a very small brush - wait an hour.
Then, paint rhem again. Wait an hour then paint them again.

They look really good against matt alloy finish wheels and so far no signs of rust coming through.

Have a go - you'll be pleasantly surprised !!!

Thanks guys, I'll have a word with the dealer. The car has only just come back from its 1st service last week, so a little disappointed that they did not volunteer to get them replaced (especially as they had to take the wheels off to do the service). I got a free box of sweets though ;o)

Been there... they don't actually take the wheels off for an A service... in spite of the blurb and the cost it is essentially just a glorified oil change. They do take them off for a B service - allegedly....

Also - when they replaced the nuts under warranty - they took them out and replaced them one at the time, thus avoiding the need to lift the car and/or remove the wheels... they have new and innovative ways of saving themselves time and money on servicing at MB (not that the customer gets to benefit from any of these cost cutting measures).

Been there... they don't actually take the wheels off for an A service... in spite of the blurb and the cost it is essentially just a glorified oil change. They do take them off for a B service - allegedly....

Also - when they replaced the nuts under warranty - they took them out and replaced them one at the time, thus avoiding the need to lift the car and/or remove the wheels... they have new and innovative ways of saving themselves time and money on servicing at MB (not that the customer gets to benefit from any of these cost cutting measures).

Most dealers don't on a B either. I do though!:thumb::D:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom