My Omega packed up today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Unbeleiveable .....

I have had my Omega Seamaster since January 2005 and today it just stops working ..... :crazy: utterly stops, no ifs or buts , nothing ....

I have copy Rolexes, Tags, you name it - all 20 quid jobs and all still working fine , in fact i am wearing my 5 year old Oyster copy now ;) , so it baffles me that a supposed 'quality' watch fails after 18 months .....

Phoned the jewellers i got it from , they say send it back to us with the warranty card , but i don't really want to put it in the post ... does recorded delivery cover you for that amount ? Jewellers is too far to drive to , and i'm off to Sweden tomorrow ......

Bah .......

Howard said:
Unbeleiveable .....

I have had my Omega Seamaster since January 2005 and today it just stops working ..... :crazy: utterly stops, no ifs or buts , nothing ....

I have copy Rolexes, Tags, you name it - all 20 quid jobs and all still working fine , in fact i am wearing my 5 year old Oyster copy now ;) , so it baffles me that a supposed 'quality' watch fails after 18 months .....

Phoned the jewellers i got it from , they say send it back to us with the warranty card , but i don't really want to put it in the post ... does recorded delivery cover you for that amount ? Jewellers is too far to drive to , and i'm off to Sweden tomorrow ......

Bah .......

You need Royal mail next day special delivery. Insurance is available at three levels, £500, £1,500 and £2,500

Good luck.

Apparently, according to the warranty, it needs servicing every 4 to 5 years ....

As its only 18 months old, its nowhere near due one .....

Cheers Alfie for that advice ...

send it using royal mail then mate.

Ask the jewellers to throw a free service in as well then - I get mine done every 2 years minimum on all my watches.

Sure it will sort it self out - and in months time it will be back all shiny and polished, with scrathless glass and a highly polished bezel, less lateral movement in the strap and a big smile on Howards chops!

Howard said:
Apparently, according to the warranty, it needs servicing every 4 to 5 years ....

As its only 18 months old, its nowhere near due one .....

Cheers Alfie for that advice ...

Is it gonna be an A service or a B?:p :p

In an ideal world they will find that they can't fix it and give me a new one !

I expect its something silly, like something has fallen off inside .....

SportsCoupeRich said:
Really? Have you had it serviced at regular intevals? sorry to hear it.

I am currently wearing a 1972 Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (manual wind. highly collectable!) :p
I have one of those, its bust though and a jewller wants £550 to mend it. :mad:

Ian, why do you not contact Omega and lay it on a bit .....

You know, been in the family for years, love the watch, quality workmanship :rolleyes: etc , they might do you a good price .....

Bad luck Howard. :(

I've got an Omega Seamaster and its been entirely reliable since 1997, so you shouldn't have any issues getting it done under warranty.

When I get mine serviced, I just go to a branch of Goldsmiths. They take care of sending it off to Geneva or wherever, and will let you know when its back. There shouldn't be any need for payment in your case but for me I just pay Goldsmiths.

No courtesy watch ever provided though! :)

Ian B Walker said:
I have one of those, its bust though and a jewller wants £550 to mend it. :mad:

Really? Not suprising really - the parts havent been made for the manual wind for years. Its subtly different all over. I just had a new strap put on (£160) which had to be sourced from an antique watch dealer....even the straps are different.

Great watch though - fix it!!!

My Speedmaster died after just under 2 years - the autowind fell to bits - sounded like a bag of spanners when you held it to your ear.

If you call Omega in the UK (they are owned by Swatch!!), the customer services lady is very keen to help, especially if you lay it on thick about the brand, how you saved up, how everyone at work admired the watch - the usual flannel.

She asked for mine to be addressed to her personally and I recieved a brand new replacement after a week FOC with a nice letter about how it was a one-off manufacturing issue.

Special Delivery with enhanced cover is the way to go - next day guaranteed and you can track it gets there online.

Omegas have a 2 year warranty - you can take it to any Omega repair agent though they will charge a £10 fee to administrate the repair. It would be free from the dealer you bought it from.

grober said:
For an awful moment I thought you had bought a Vauxhall!:eek:

You know they're better cars than you think. I opened this thread expecting to read about the long and loyal service Howard's Elite or MV6 had given him only to discover it was about watches.

I have still got the Omega Constellation that was my 21st birthday present. I don't use it any more as the servicing costs were too high (sound familiar on this forum). Good watch though.

Howard said:
Unbeleiveable .....

And there's me thinking you were a hard done by financially challenged individual. Boy am I looking forward to seeing this watch, which hopefully in mid August should be attached to the owners arm?

Good luck with the repair,
John

DieselE said:
You know they're better cars than you think. I opened this thread expecting to read about the long and loyal service Howard's Elite or MV6 had given him only to discover it was about watches.
I agree about the Vauxhall Omega. After all hundreds of police authority JAM SANDWICH's must mean something. I was just trying to "WIND UP" Howard a little,----- unlike his watch.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Vauxhall Senator 24v was probably the best car we ( West Mids Police) ever had, Cavalier 2.5 V6 ( dont laugh) was one of the best, most responsive, cars I ever drove, good for almost 150mph. Omega Seamaster, one of the watches I always wanted. Mercedes C180, latest in a long line of impulse purchases!
There, think I`ve covered everything......

Allan

Off topic -

Nowadays it seems every new hot hatchback is capable of 150 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom