My one-off carbon spoiler and diffuser.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spitfire

Car
C350 Coupe AMG Sport, V6 Petrol
Been toying with the idea of fitting a carbon spoiler and diffuser for a while, but heard and read mixed opinions of some commercially available ones regarding fit and quality. Because of that, I decided to make my own, which is not quite as daft as it may sound at first because I am a carbon fibre laminator/technician (may as well make use of my day job!). We manufacture carbon components for predominantly high-end and high-performance road cars, and various motorsport customers including Le Mans and F1 etc.

Making my own components adds a bit of individuality to my C350, something hopefully a bit unique.

Made moulds for the spoiler and diffuser (first pic) and made the components using pre-preg carbon cloth and cured in one of the autoclaves at work. To hopefully make my components a little unique, I made them using a technique which one of our high-end/performance car manufacturers specify for many of their carbon items; they specify a 'herringbone' effect spreading outwards from the centre-line of the parts when the carbon is laid up in the moulds. Basically this gives a 'V' effect using the weave pattern in the carbon cloth, on symmetrical parts. To the best of my my knowledge there are no components made this way by aftermarket manufacturers of carbon parts for my C-Class (or any other Mercedes as far as I know, though I stand to be corrected!).

To make parts with this 'herringbone' effect, the carbon cloth MUST be cut very precisely, and also laid in the moulds with equal care. It does make manufacturing more awkward.

Decided to add four vertical dividing strakes to the lower part of the diffuser, which were made separately and bonded in place. These were manufactured using a rigid-foam core of 10mm thickness, with an outer skin of carbon. I gave all carbon surfaces a coat of laquer to finish them off, before the spoiler and diffuser were fitted.

:)

Very nice looks quality work (maybe you should start making and selling! ) I'm actually looking for a carbon diffuser how I wish I could just make 1

Wow impressive work :thumb: :cool:

looks like quality work indeed, just on a silver car, it stands out that bit too much.

maybe a lighter shade of Carbon?

I am just thinking how nice that that style of diffuser would look on my silver W204. Shame my missus just got made redundant FML :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom