My paperboy is now a Eastern European Man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
I make no comment on the immigrant bit (fair play to him) but I find it sad that in a village of 5000 people or so there is not one kid who can be bothered to do the work anymore. Discuss !

Surprised to even know that paper deliveries still exist anywhere.

That said I can recall the last period we used to see paper deliveries about a decade ago and two things were apparent. First off the kids doing it never stuck to it for very long. Second off some were accompanied by a parent who walked with them or actually drove for them.

Which was kind of different from my day when kids kind of took ownership of the job and usually cycled and walked themselves.

So I suspect even where deliveries still exist it's not just a matter of kids not being bothered but lack of independence and overprotection.

Too many weirdos about now... Id rather give mine some money for doing washing up/chores etc.

I make no comment on the immigrant bit (fair play to him) but I find it sad that in a village of 5000 people or so there is not one kid who can be bothered to do the work anymore. Discuss !

More than likely he is the paper shop owner and he's he's too tight to pay the going rate for a paperboy.

I don't know how much they would pay a paper"boy" these days but surely there is very little profit in newspapers to cover the wages.

Added to which someone walking into a shop for a paper would probably buy some other more profitable goods also.

Boom tsch!
All 3 of mine did do paper rounds but then moved onto more lucrative ideas such as raising chickens and eggs which they sold to their mother or baby sitting which now requires a degree in something or other. Young would-be adults have very little choice now as our world is so different but I found a job at their age can and was so very rewarding in many ways.

Mine do the free leaflet deliveries once a month. 3/4 hours work gives them around £35pm gets them some exercise and the opportunity to be a little bit financially independent.

The paperboy -----Eastern European----- is nothing sacred? You'll be telling me they're building Mercedes in Hungary next------?? ;)

This could well be a wise man.
He may be doing the job for nothing hoping to get a foothold in the newsagents wider business. He may have several part time jobs in order to achieve a living wage.
Perhaps more of our unemployed should seek this type of work rather than wait for a "more fulfilling job" to come looking for them.

More than likely he is the paper shop owner and he's he's too tight to pay the going rate for a paperboy.

No he is a employee. I saw the paper shop owner a few weeks back doing the round himself because he couldnt get any kids to take the job, hence this thread.

But anyway im as guilty as the next man really for spoiling my kids but I was brought up in a new money working class family where it was made plain that its ok to want things but you have to work at it.

On a similar line though and even more sad is when I try and get the local scrotes to help me with my deliveries when I actually manage to get one of them off their state funded ****s they moan at being paid 10 quid for 30 minutes work and I quote "id get more selling a wrap !"

surely some of this is down to demand.

who gets a paper delivered nowadays?

i don't know of anybody - how much extra do people pay to have it delivered? lots can get news on their phones and ipads etc now

i agree it is good to get kids independent but i remember as a kid i realised that that was one job that just looked crazy (early hours, freezing cold, little pay). Decided i would never do one as it looked like slave labour to me!

Being in the trade i can tell you that it is mainly the middle-aged upwards that get newspapers delivered, it is in decline but the decline slowed slightly when the Newspapers started installing paywalls on their sites.
Delivery charges are anything from 20p per day upto 45p per day, the rounds are Mon-Sat or Sundays. Paperboys or girls get paid roughly £3 per week day for delivering 25 papers, £5 for the Saturday and the Sunday morning lot about £8 for 45-50 papers. Weekday rounds take 25-35 mins and Sunday rounds about 80 mins. The money whilst not great is actually nearly double what the minimum wage is for an under 18 year old (currently £3.72) if worked out hourly.
The paperboys are not allowed by law to start before 7am and need to be registered with the local council, the vast majority turn up early and are very eager to earn money. As for demographics i would say the majority come from middle class backgrounds and the better workers have parents who are self employed.

I did a daily paper round when I was at school, two rounds on a Sunday. Lugging heavy bags around on freezing cold winter mornings wasn't exactly a bundle of fun, but it enabled me to save up to buy a "racing" bike which my parents couldn't afford. This gave me the freedom to get out and about and keep fit. My first independent holiday was aged 14 - a bicycle tour of the Lake District with my school chum - funded from my paper rounds.

So yah boo sucks to all those who only see the negative side of newspaper delivery. Didn't do me any harm and good luck to the young immigrant lad. At least he's prepared to graft for his money - unlike a lot of kids who expect everything to be handed to them on a plate.

Letting our daughter do a paper round would depend on where we lived in the UK. I did the job in my early teens and I loved it. I think it taught me to get up early and work in rubbish weather for rubbish money (I ended up working in construction for 25 years).

Our daughter helps us at the bar and she keeps the tips, she had the thick end of 900 euros this summer!

During the winter she pops to the pizza place next door on a Sat and Sun and makes up the takeaway boxes for Panos the chef. This takes her about an hour and she earns 5 euros and a pizza. She loves talking to the old grandma's as well. Then she goes off to the local English owned bar and bottles up. Bob the owner gives her a fiver and it takes her no more than 45 minutes.

She is getting 20 eu for a little bit of work that she loves doing and gets a couple of free pizza's to boot.

She is 8.

What Eastern Europe should be working on is giving this guy a job in Eastern Europe delivering news papers...

5,000 people? That's a large village. When does a village stop being a village? Just musing..

(Oh, and good on the fella doing the rounds. The kids loss, his gain.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom