My parked W124 was smashed. Need help fixing her!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Where abouts in London are you? I'll have to check but I may have both doors with the trim peices.

Whilst i may not be able to help, i would like to wish u all the best with the repairs, and to say that it is nice to see so many that can help offering to :)

Wayne at starpartz might be worth contacting as well, he has quite a stock of parts, you never know he might have the trim parts you need if you manage to pick up the doors from the folks here

I'm in west london, Hounslow.

if you did.... that'd be a stroke of good luck, in an otherwise ****e week!

You can find my email address in my profile, send me your phone no and a list of everything you need. I have a 1989 300e for spare parts so I'm sure that will help you out. :thumb:

You can find my email address in my profile, send me your phone no and a list of everything you need. I have a 1989 300e for spare parts so I'm sure that will help you out. :thumb:

Brilliant, thanks carat 3.6

i tried to PM you but it won't allow me to because i have less than 30 posts... maybe you could PM me and then i can answer?

Whilst i may not be able to help, i would like to wish u all the best with the repairs, and to say that it is nice to see so many that can help offering to :)

Wayne at starpartz might be worth contacting as well, he has quite a stock of parts, you never know he might have the trim parts you need if you manage to pick up the doors from the folks here

100% agreed. thank you all for being so helpful, it's really cool!

I've the door trims if you don't have any luck

Brilliant, thanks carat 3.6

i tried to PM you but it won't allow me to because i have less than 30 posts... maybe you could PM me and then i can answer?

Have you tryed to email me?

so are you only third party? if not then surely, if they write the car off, you get cash, and buy it back?

Hi
bad luck mate, I know how that feels....
had my 230TE damaged by a hit and run while it was parked up one evening...fully comp but the the insurance had no interest in getting it fixed, they would only write-off, and I got £500 and the car back - as an 'economic write-off' - which meant I had to take it in to a VOSA office and get it 'checked' - which involved checking the VIN plates matched as far as I could see...cost about £50 and a trip to Derby.:crazy:

Fortunately only needed a door to get it back on the road but it wouldn't cover a respray. Fully comp is a waste of money on old car, the insurance will just write them off and give you little more than scrap value :(:(:(

Just cut your losses, fix the car, and get tpf&t next year to help defray your repair costs....

cheers

thing is, a lot of insurance companies are now over charging for tpf&t because they want rid of it as an option, because they don't have as many loopholes and cant make as much off it

The problem is that with old cars only a little accident,they would want to write it of and offer pocket money.

IF you have no luck for the parts then Dave Collins in Yorkshire can definately help.. goes by retrodave on here.

Hi
bad luck mate, I know how that feels....
had my 230TE damaged by a hit and run while it was parked up one evening...fully comp but the the insurance had no interest in getting it fixed, they would only write-off, and I got £500 and the car back - as an 'economic write-off' - which meant I had to take it in to a VOSA office and get it 'checked' - which involved checking the VIN plates matched as far as I could see...cost about £50 and a trip to Derby.:crazy:

Fortunately only needed a door to get it back on the road but it wouldn't cover a respray. Fully comp is a waste of money on old car, the insurance will just write them off and give you little more than scrap value :(:(:(

Just cut your losses, fix the car, and get tpf&t next year to help defray your repair costs....

cheers

sorry for the late reply, i've had broadband go off this weekend...

thanks for that- i think in the end that's exactly what i'll end up doing.

does anybody know what the difference is between the doors with mouldings and the ones without? and does the chrome trim come with the mouldings or separate?

I've the door trims if you don't have any luck

sorry for asking such a dunb question- but is there a difference between the mouldings and the trim?

get a couple of doors on ebay. easy.

even better if you can get ones that already have the cladding and are the same colour.....

bolt them on yourself.... not too hard a job for a DIYer

Pretty sure it's a straight swap to swap pre- and post- facelift trim mouldings on the doors, ( I put a post facelift door on pre f/l car ) haven't actually bothered yet. The chrome strips are part of the trim mouldings
Also the replacement door I got was electric window, but the old manual gear swapped straight over too, so pretty much any W124 door could be used (not cab' though I guess;)) so you could see if you can get the right colour...or at least one easily painted over?

cheers!

Last edited:
looking better

I had the pleasure of 1989w124's 300d at my workshop today, such a shame about the damage as the car was a minter. It needed both doors, all the claddings and fixings, a new mirror, and a window regulator. :( Anyway it took a few hours but apart from the slight colour match issue, the old girl now looks much better.

We went from this:

Last edited:
To this, which was quite involved as these doors came from a pre-facelift 300e. They needed all the mouldings swaping from the early strip type, to the later body panel cladding style. Which means every clip and fixing was different. :eek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom