My poor Smart.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter DLM

MB Enthusiast
Car
19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
Someone drove into me as I was going around a roundabout today, tagged the back of my poor little Smart.

Chap was apologetic a witness also kindly stopped and we all agreed what happened. I had to pull the bumper out by hand before driving off as it was fouling the tyre.

It still drives ok.

04575a29fa94767b5d76b1eb5f2bf2ae.jpg

c72a33b1d650b0fd475f23847f8f3992.jpg

F*ck, I bet he got a shock when you got out of a Smart Pete :D.

Sorry to see that .

On the bright side , it looks like a fairly straightforward replacement of the back bumper ?

F*ck, I bet he got a shock when you got out of a Smart Pete :D.

Haha yes, bless him. Not so much with this one but the previous ones definitely had a Mr Incredible thing going on :D (I presume you've seen the Incredibles animated movie)

Sorry to,hear about that. I hope it all gets sorted with a minimum of hassle.

I hope so to, all parties agreed what had happened and that the other driver was at fault.

Sorry to see that .

On the bright side , it looks like a fairly straightforward replacement of the back bumper ?

Yup, the wheel took a whack as well, and the exhaust is really near that area but it drives fine so I suspect it's just a simple replacement of the bumper.

Last edited:
*Have you been in an accident in the past five years that wasn't your fault?* :D

Hope you're ok pal, and not too shook up. :thumb:

Pah, I barely felt it, and I sorta expected it would happen as an idiot driving a LR towing a trailer pulled out onto the roundabout right in front of me causing me to brake hard, as there were loads of cars trying to join I knew someone would be looking right and expecting the road in front of them to be clear.

12 o'clock before 2 o'clock and keep 12 o'clock in your peripheral all the time.

Yup, the wheel took a whack as well, and the exhaust is really near that area but it drives fine so I suspect it's just a simple replacement of the bumper.

Might be worth while checking the chassis members & wheel bearing - just to be on the safe side.

Main thing is nobody badly hurt. Cars can be mended. As long as you're OK that's what's important.

His insurer called me at 9am sharp this morning acknowledging liability and arranging to get the car fixed and a loan car.

Tesco Insurance, fairly impressed so far.

Tesco called again today as it's been 4 days or so after the accident to make sure I was ok and wasn't suffering any injuries.

They're certainly doing a good job on the communications and care aspect.

Bad luck, but these things happen and as long as your getting looked after then at least that's something. How is the little Smart, me a my missus looked at them a few weeks ago and she's got a test drive booked for Friday. How does that little 0.9 cope ?

Bad luck, but these things happen and as long as your getting looked after then at least that's something. How is the little Smart, me a my missus looked at them a few weeks ago and she's got a test drive booked for Friday. How does that little 0.9 cope ?

Thanks Lofty.

It's ok actually, it's not going to set anyone's pants on fire with performance or anything, but it has a turbo which helps it along. The Prime model has loads of kit with premium pack and the only other option I'd go for is the auto gearbox. The manual is ok, but unless it's just me I find the pedals too close and high considering the wheel isn't reach adjustable.

Handles well, suspension far far far superior to the previous one. It's quiet inside as well. and is actually ok on the Motorway whereas the last on was awful. It has safety features such as cross-wind assist and lane-assist as standard. The stop/start is better as it won't activate until you're in neutral with hand-brake on and foot off the pedals so it's easy to avoid the engine stopping at annoying times.

The Red and Blue colours look really great on the car:thumb:

So the bodyshop of my choice sent the estimate in on Tuesday and received authorisation to proceed yesterday. The car is booked in for next Tuesday.

This is going amazingly well, at the risk of jinxing it.

All straight again. Very impressed with Tesco Insurance, handled everything really well.

Glad it all worked out OK, Nice and simples! as they say, just be sure to check at insurance renewal time that your no claims remains intact

Thanks Eddie, it had little to do with my insurance however, I just informed them that the 3rd party's insurance would be fixing my car as they acknowledged liability.

I use Daimler Insurance Services for both my MB cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom