My R129 500SL Progress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brill thanks.

I’ll just let them deal with it this time round.

I’ll probbaly do a brake fluid, gearbox and diff fluid change shortly.

The 928 is now on the cards so I do need to sell the SL now :(

Hate selling cars but the 928 is an itch I need to scratch.

Will do some adverts over the weekend I think but the 928 guy isn't rushed so hopefully I'll get the rust taken care of if I can be booked in soon.

:(

Oh no! I happy for you that is coming off but at the same time a little gutted we won't get to see much more on the SL as you you do great work and have so many inspiring tips.

If you start thread on the 928 anywhere please do post the link.

Will do!

I do these threads on all of my cars so will definitely be doing one on the 928, it’ll be pretty hefty as it does require a fair bit.

So, the Mercedes went to Mercedes Guildford, a very nice experience. Treated very well in their waiting lounge, was attended to quickly, keys were taken and car went straight in, I helped myself to numerous coffees and even had table service.
There was an event on so I think some things were stepped up, all very nice and restored my faith in Mercedes after the ball ache I had trying to get somewhere to service it (come back to me).

Anyway, aside from asking the car not to be washed as I had spent the previous evening polishing it, they washed it, added some swirls but nothing that wont come out after a once over with the polish.

I was half expecting a long list of work but thankfully and credit to the car, the technician said it was one of the best he'd seen in a long time, dry underneath and all in good order. No work required!! Woo

The engine feels smoother and even quieter! All in all, a great experience, the car is healthier and I'm satisfied that someone else has reaffirmed that the car is solid and not in need of anything, I even have a video showing this from the dealer :)

https://mercedes.citnow.com/vxyqcknfjrs

To celebrate, I took some pics :) It was a glorious day, 29 degrees +, a 60 mile round trip with a lovely cruise down the A3 to guildford and back, used the cruise control with the windows down, brilliant, just what the SL was made for.

The night before, I had cleaned the car and stopped off for a tank of V power

43187360412_5c4b16efbe_z.jpg

Happened to bump into a mate who had just got his early e30 325 back from being repainted.

43187356972_9ddaf256ed_z.jpg

After the car was serviced, it was parked right outside the showroom :)

43236792571_d6e838de05_z.jpg

Back home

28395130227_15cb726849_z.jpg

29394653218_9bd544637c_z.jpg

I did take about 40 more pictures, just cant decide what to put up here, it just looks so damn good!

Glad to hear it went well, and lovely pictures.

MB Guildford have always given me great service (never pushing to do extra jobs ), and always seem genuinely pleased to see my R129.

Very well thanks, thanks for the tip off!

On the way there, I saw a silver 500 just like yours going down the A3, I did wonder if it were you.

On the way there, I saw a silver 500 just like yours going down the A3, I did wonder if it were you.

Not me but I've seen a few coming out of hibernation at the moment! My wife has been using ours to go to work recently ... I actually had to put some petrol in it last week!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

haha, that really does look great in silver and on those wheels!

I got my #1 car out of hibernation finally today and there was a 964 waiting for the photo-op. It could be the summer of 1990 all over again...

wJ3k3OdQ.jpg

The perfect combo!

God I love your SL!

I can’t reply to your classified ad and although this doesn’t help you wanting to sell it, but if I had a garage I’d buy it because it’s a lovely car and I’ve always looked at them and thought wow I’d love to blast about in one. Had I not recently bought an SLK... maybe link to your ad in here? Good luck anyway and top work with with you’ve done to it.

I got my #1 car out of hibernation finally today and there was a 964 waiting for the photo-op. It could be the summer of 1990 all over again...

wJ3k3OdQ.jpg

I have a rough (ROUGH) 1990 300SL in that same color scheme sitting in the back of my storage shed. I keep meaning to dismantle it but I cant bring myself to do it because its a 5 speed manual car. One day I'll pull my finger out and fix it.

I have a rough (ROUGH) 1990 300SL in that same color scheme sitting in the back of my storage shed. I keep meaning to dismantle it but I cant bring myself to do it because its a 5 speed manual car. One day I'll pull my finger out and fix it.

If you ever do part it out I'm looking for a wind deflector cover in the medium grey. My car was ordered without the deflector but a previous owner obtained one... and the charcoal grey cover that would be correct for a black interior. Nothing ever comes up on eBay in the UK or Germany and the postage/import duty/exchange rate rip-off via US eBay always make it prohibitive.

Mine actually parchment interior (sorry should have paid more attention), where in the UK do you live? I travel twice / year to London to visit family.

My car was ordered without the deflector

Didn't think that was possible - it came as standard? They're often missing as people sell them.

Have you checked with MB on the cover panel? When I got mine it was a special order from Germany so it took a while, but wasn't outrageously expensive (about £55 IIRC). May not be available any more of course, but worth asking.

The 928 is now on the cards so I do need to sell the SL now :(

Hate selling cars but the 928 is an itch I need to scratch.

Will do some adverts over the weekend I think but the 928 guy isn't rushed so hopefully I'll get the rust taken care of if I can be booked in soon.

:(

I have both an 88 S4 and a 98 SL500 with similar miles. I have to say that aside from the brakes which are amazing on the S4, I like the SL500 in every other way.

Attachments

• 10911227_10155180422345165_1036522601833405173_o[1].jpg
    10911227_10155180422345165_1036522601833405173_o[1].jpg
    405 KB · Views: 18
Another nice combo!

I think the 928 will be a competely different car but I’ve got the itch, if the SL doesn’t sell for what I want then I won’t cry :)

First advert is now up on Pistonheads, probably not the right place to advert an SL but let’s see.

MERCEDES 500SL - Original and rare specification - 1991

Best of luck with your sale. You'd be surprised at how close together they are. There are Mercedes Benz part numbers all over the 928 and the autos (which mine is) uses the same 722.3 4 speed automatic that's in your car (although mounted in the back).

Yeah I had heard that.

My 964 has various mercedes plug sockets and Bmw!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom