My rear-ended W211 - and what use are paddles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Got rear ended by a Mini yesterday :eek: I was slowing for traffic ahead and the lady behind me did not notice, hence slammed! into the back of me! I think my towbar took most of the impact but the sides of the rear bumper concertined. Imapact was so hard that the Audio 20 popped out of the dash :crazy:

Everybody OK thankfully (she fully admitted it was her fault) Must say that Stratstones are on the ball. Taken over the claim for me and delivered an '09 CDi220 Sport Auto to the door with just 3K on the clock to use whilst my W211 is in for repair at MB Blackpool. :D:thumb:

Lovely car (except the mirrors - am I alone in thinking that the W204 has pig-ugly wing mirrors?) Seems to have most things (Bluetooth/Phone, Audio50 SatNav, Parktronic and paddle shift - but strangely no leather:dk:) Which leads me to my question - what use are paddles on this type of car? Does anybody actually use them?

Tell you what though - I don't half miss the SBC Hold on my E-class! A fantastic feature

Last edited:
Hi Steve
sorry to hear about your rear end job, I had a similar event a few months ago on the M6 near Thelwall Viaduct. All sorted now though as I'm sure yours will be.

I have the paddles on my 211 (well buttons actually) if you select M mode on the transmission they improve your driving experience through the lanes tremendously, allowing you to manually preselect gears or hold them through bends which I find the auto box delay sometimes interferes with.:)

Hi Steve
sorry to hear about your rear end job, I had a similar event a few months ago on the M6 near Thelwall Viaduct. All sorted now though as I'm sure yours will be.

I have the paddles on my 211 (well buttons actually) if you select M mode on the transmission they improve your driving experience through the lanes tremendously, allowing you to manually preselect gears or hold them through bends which I find the auto box delay sometimes interferes with.:)

There goes my licence...... :eek:

Glad to hear you are okay.

Make sure there is no structural damage to your car, although it sounds like a real low speed job.

I've only ever used paddles beyond the 'new feature entertainment' use on one car. My Audi A4 cab had the CVT type autobox and the paddles created a 7 speed gearchange - almost made the car feel normal!

Take my word on this - the rear end crash structure of the W211 is excellent!

Update

Got rear ended by a Mini yesterday :eek: I was slowing for traffic ahead and the lady behind me did not notice, hence slammed! into the back of me! I think my towbar took most of the impact but the sides of the rear bumper concertined. Imapact was so hard that the Audio 20 popped out of the dash :crazy:

Everybody OK thankfully (she fully admitted it was her fault) Must say that Stratstones are on the ball. Taken over the claim for me and delivered an '09 CDi220 Sport Auto to the door with just 3K on the clock to use whilst my W211 is in for repair at MB Blackpool. :D:thumb:

Lovely car (except the mirrors - am I alone in thinking that the W204 has pig-ugly wing mirrors?) Seems to have most things (Bluetooth/Phone, Audio50 SatNav, Parktronic and paddle shift - but strangely no leather:dk:) Which leads me to my question - what use are paddles on this type of car? Does anybody actually use them?

Tell you what though - I don't half miss the SBC Hold on my E-class! A fantastic feature

Update on this...

Work has been authorised which entails new rear bumper, new rear light, new back panel, new side panel and a new towbar. Appears she hit so hard that the towbar bent :eek: Told it will take 25 days :crazy: but at least I have a decent hire car. Still no full postcode entry though which surprises me :dk: And I still miss SBC Hold :(

Full postcode entry requires a licensing payment to HMSO (or whomever it is these days), as I understand it.

Glad you're OK after the rear end shunt. You also have a half decent car whilst yours is being sorted. I note you miss the SBC on your car. I've just been introduced to the joys of SBC on my SL. I must say I don't know what you mean by SBC Hold. Someone pls explain.

Glad you're OK after the rear end shunt. You also have a half decent car whilst yours is being sorted. I note you miss the SBC on your car. I've just been introduced to the joys of SBC on my SL. I must say I don't know what you mean by SBC Hold. Someone pls explain.

When I have come to a complete stop I simply tap the brake pedal and SBC Hold comes up in my display. This holds the car with no need to keep my foot on any of the pedals. When I am ready to move off I simply press the accelerator. Especially good at traffic lights! Not sure if it is on your car. If you post the full model and year I'm sure someone will be able to tell you

I know it all has a chequered history and was removed fom later cars (urban legend has it that it was down to stupid Americans getting out of the car with it set :eek: and then suing MB when the car moved off :crazy:) Worthwhile doing a search on the forum as there has been much discussion.

Last edited:
Thanks. Its a 2003 SL350. I have not tried this yet but will do so away from traffic just in case. Not sure how different my system will be from yours. You're right MB did not offer this system in later cars. Before I bought my car my research indicated that SBC was problematic on E Classes but not on the SL. When I was checking my car over I was gratified to note a shiny newish SBC module under the bonnet. From your description it is a useful feature I will take great pleasure in using....if I have it!

SBC-STOP was removed from the E-class in mid 2004 but SBC-HOLD remained up until the removal of the entire SBC system in the 2006 (?) facelift. I understood that it was, however, replaced by an equivalent hill-hold feature? Hill-hold features are now fitted on a wide range of cars from many manufacturers.

Although you can get out of the car with SBC-HOLD activated, the dash lights up like a christmas tree, an alarm sounds and your bank account is immediately frozen if you try to.

Yep - still have the hold function in the 08 211, operates in exactly the same way. I do miss SBC-Stop tho.....

SBC-STOP was removed from the E-class in mid 2004 but SBC-HOLD remained up until the removal of the entire SBC system in the 2006 (?) facelift. I understood that it was, however, replaced by an equivalent hill-hold feature? Hill-hold features are now fitted on a wide range of cars from many manufacturers.

Although you can get out of the car with SBC-HOLD activated, the dash lights up like a christmas tree, an alarm sounds and your bank account is immediately frozen if you try to.

There is a hill hold feature that seems to be quite reliable in most cars and most importantly does not involve any electronics at all; it is called a hand brake (or foot brake in the case of MB). ;)

Sorry guys..back for another tutorial. I now know about SBC Hold. What is SBC Stop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom