My S211 E55K - Opinions Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agreed with PI number. Tell me about it.....what a complete waste of time, money and resources. They should lock these people up if you ask me. Nothing short of criminal.

I'm not an expert on it but I would imagine a PI claim would be far in excess of that (heading towards or into 5 figures).

That sounds like a professional bodyshop bumper replace and paint to me.

Glad to hear these fu*k*rs don't always get away with it!

It seems ridiculous to me they ever did with this kind of prang.

I don’t believe the payouts are so high anymore. Someone I know was parked by the side of a residential road (still in the driver seat) when they were rear ended by a school coach. Several spinal and body injuries and spinal/neck operations which are still ongoing 3 years on. Full year out of work (the person is self employed). The guy is limping and can’t lift anything. Compensation? Low 5 figures. I realise that each case is different but still.

To the OP. Source the parts, swap over the weekend. It will get you more money when it’s undamaged and more chances of an actual sale (unless you enjoy dealing with lowballing car flip trader types). It will also make a good looking car that may rekindle your love again if you decide to keep it.

So I still haven't decided whether to spend the money on my E55K and keep the car or sell as is as a little project for someone. I think it is likely I will be selling the car so just trying to gauge opinion on how to sell and at what price? Any opinions?

It is an S211 2004/04 E55K 5 Seater Estate with 94k miles with 4 previous owners. It cost me £11k and being honest as I have nothing to hide. Had to put rear tyres on it day one as these were shot but knew that on purchase. Put on a nice pair of Michelin Pilot Sport 4's that I can highly recommend.

So here is the hard bit to value. As most know it had a little bump at the front that needs fixing. Also it had a new Airmatic pump done by the previous owner in June 2017. However I suspect it might not have been the pump at all or the pump failed due to over work sometimes due to a slightly rear only Airmatic leak. The front is fine and the rear pumps up fine and the car drives fine. The leak is not overnight or 1-2 days but only drops maybe 4-5 days. I've heard there is a rear level sensor that causes this rear only drop but no idea.

So before I start spending 2/3/4k on the car it seems to make more sense to sell as is before spending anything. Any ideas on value? I was thinking it should sell for £6k as is and would be a very cheap decent E55k Estate for someone. Maybe a project cheap enough for someone to spend over time. Maybe even someone wanting to put on a facelift E63 front end on?

Thoughts and ideas on value please much appreciated?

It was only a very minor low speed run into the back of the car in front after they took off from the lights then weirdly suddenly stopped dead. I didn't quite expect or make the same stop in time!

I had a very similar incident turning left at a T junction many years ago. The guy in front admitted that when he went to accelerate away he hit the brake pedal again by mistake (it was an auto, and new to him). He was very apologetic (no question of it being deliberate), but of course I was still at fault from an insurance POV. You live & learn.

£6k it should sell easy.

Provided the front isn’t bent - just bolt on bits - someone should have a tidy/low mileage ‘55k wagon for sub-£10k there :cool:

I had a very similar incident turning left at a T junction many years ago. The guy in front admitted that when he went to accelerate away he hit the brake pedal again by mistake (it was an auto, and new to him). He was very apologetic (no question of it being deliberate), but of course I was still at fault from an insurance POV. You live & learn.

You do...and I have. I leave a bit more gap now and am not so sharp to pull away. Also invested in a basic web cam to help assist in working out what exactly happens in any incidents.

£6k it should sell easy.

Provided the front isn’t bent - just bolt on bits - someone should have a tidy/low mileage ‘55k wagon for sub-£10k there :cool:

Haven't had the front bumper off but all seems pretty cosmetic and light. Possibly might not even need new bumper or grille. Abs kindly offered a cost effective griller replacement as he has an unused spare correctly. Headlight alignment needs a little tweak and maybe a few other bits/bobs need tweaking a smidge. I am no accident assessor or engineer but it seems pretty light to me. It is all there to see I guess for anyone to look at as I have nothing to hide. It is what it is warts and all.

Maybe a sticker price of £6995 might make sense and see what the market thinks of it. I think if I got £6k that works for me and seems fair enough. As you say a very cheap way to get into a decent E55K Estate. Also isn't Brilliant Silver either ;)

I wonder if the ‘AMG’ styled regular 211s use the same front bumper as the E55?

Should pass it onto Gav as a project on SOR basis, he’s had the front end stripped off his 211s and both his E55s more times than most :)

Even if it needs a pair of rear airbags etc it’s still cheap enough and you’d benefit from a stone chip free front end and fresh airmatic on the rear at least :thumb:

I'm sure Gav has his hands full with enough on his plate but he is more than welcome to take on a project if he wants ;)

That was my thinking as a very cheap car for someone if they wanted it as it was. I know I am going to struggle on time for a bit as might have a TVR or two coming in shortly so I can see my garage getting lots of use this winter!

^ +1. Not a project Gav really needs right now I would think, but a fantastic bargain to get into relatively inexpensive ownership of an E55 wagon.
It should sell quickly if under £7k IMO.
Good luck with the sale:thumb:

LOL One e55k is enough for me, Mine is pretty much where it should be now, And its done really well these past few weeks so is a keeper.

All the front ends are the same and bolt straight on, the e55's fog lamps have a different electrical harness plug to regular 211's other than that its a straight swop. The Bumper i reckon would straighten out but even if it didn't a Pattern e55 bumper is around £300.

If someone was to take this on i would budget a £1,000 to sort out, You may end up with Rad, Associated pipework to the rad, H/E ,Nsf Fwd Chassis rail "alloy part" poss crashbar, n headlamp and Grill by the time you have straightened it all out.

A pair of Rear Arnott airbags also is what id be chucking on too these are cheap enough and the ride is very good. Even if it finished at around £7.5-8k it would still make someone a nice car.

Thanks Gav for the info. Interesting to know about the fairly generic front end.

Certainly a little project I would have done myself for sure normally. Got my lift in the garage and the rest of the garage nearly finished so would be ideal. Just know I won't have the time as been helping my BiL with his new house and a few incoming cars with some outgoing is going to take some time. Also down on resources at work so most of my time is taken there.

Good project for the right person.

I thought long and hard about making you an offer Dean but it came down to the lack of time I have to get the job done and also the patience - I’ve done this many times before and if you’re not on top of it, repairs and waiting for *another* part can take seemingly forever.

I’d say it was in your (financial) interest to get the work done yourself, if you haven’t got the time then send it to a bodyshop because unless someone on here fancies it you might struggle to put up with the chancers and dreamers on the usual sites.

Hopefully someone on here will see the potential and snap it up.

No worries Lee, understood. Same predicament as me at the moment as time is currently not my friend. Hopefully I'll have an additional full time resource coming into the business soon.

That should ease my pain but likely won't be until Jan/Feb. We have just had this Wireless project for Cornwall County Council drop in that is about 3 months work over 6 months which has come at the perfectly wrong time. That guy Murphy has a lot to answer for!

I've had quite a few PM's last night and this morning about the car so have just replied to them all and sending over some further details to a couple of these shortly.

I know you are right that I should get it done myself it is just too much to do time wise and the perfectly wrong time for me. We are always generally busier coming up to Xmas as well so I have to be realistic.

My loss is someone else's gain so happy to pass on the love [emoji6]

Seems like a good deal attracts quite some attention! Looks like there may be 2 viewings this weekend at the moment. All PM's replied to but if I have missed anyone and missed sending anything requested just give me a nudge.

Well that gather pace today and moved forward a bit! I've received a deposit on the car with collection this weekend.

Had 3 other offers after this 1st one had been done for payments tonight with one offering to collect tonight, this weekend and next weekend. I have to be fair and stick to the first buyer who came through first though.

Got to work late out of hours tonight but will get it all cleaned and ready tomorrow.

Didn’t think it would hang around at that price.

To be fair I think it would break well @ £6k anyway - engine gearbox and stuff, wheels, brakes, AMG exhaust system, seats, cluster, steering wheel, body panels lights etc.

Nice buy for someone :cool:

Easy 9k Breaking a good one, Hopefully though this one will be saved, :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom