My S211 E55K - Opinions Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it's never simple and easy is it! Just gone to take the car for a run as not used it for over a week and the rear suspension was down. Which is known and been doing for a little while due to suspected slight rear leak. Normally it would just pump up and be fine but this morning...nothing. Not sure if the airmatic pump is engaging or not. Or if I have asked it to do too many low to high pumps and it has given up the ghost.

Any ideas? It is hard to tell if the pump is engaging noise wise without taking the front right wheel off to my ear closer to the pump. It was replaced by the previous owner July 2017 so maybe the pump could have been fault and actually could be the whole Airmatic fault full stop.

It is important to me to be decent, honest and upfront so have informed the buyer straight away. I need to take my son to football shortly but will have a further investigation this afternoon. If anyone has any smart ideas I'm all ears. Thanks ;)

I’d have thought you have a leaking airbag, and the pump has been working overtime to inflate the system. Hence the pump has knackered itself?

You may be right. Has always been fine and not dropped if I used the car every 1-3 days roughly. Leaving it 4-5 days work would mean it started to drop.

It is only masking an issue I guess using it more often so needs to be fixed regardless. Just would have been useful for all of it had given more time for all to resolve. Maybe it is better this way and forces the issue to be resolved.

Definitely has a leak, the compressor won’t cause it to drop whilst parked up.

A stitch in time is the key here - the airmatic pumps don’t seem to cope well with being overworked.

At least you made the buyer aware of the leak though - maybe just negotiate the cost of a replacement pump with them perhaps as they would have had to do the leak at the back anyway? :)

is there a Old bill for the Pump, 2017 maybe still under warranty?, Unless its worn out due to a leaking bag of course.

The Pump is situated in the forward front Left wheel arch, New pumps are very quiet, best way to check is take the left froward arch liner out hit the raise button and put your hand on the pump you will it vibrate as it try's to pump the suspension up.

When replacing the pump with a new unit you should always replace the relay for the pump at the same time, Arnott replacement pumps come with a new airmatic relay.

Definitely has a leak, the compressor won’t cause it to drop whilst parked up.

A stitch in time is the key here - the airmatic pumps don’t seem to cope well with being overworked.

At least you made the buyer aware of the leak though - maybe just negotiate the cost of a replacement pump with them perhaps as they would have had to do the leak at the back anyway? :)
If agree there and if I wasn't selling the car it wasn't just about to be booked into PCS anyway. If I had have used it this week once or twice I am sure it would have been fine.

Still drives OK on a normal road but you wouldn't want to be going over any bumps or high spots in a road.

Just going to take a look in a bit after a bite to eat.

is there a Old bill for the Pump, 2017 maybe still under warranty?, Unless its worn out due to a leaking bag of course.

The Pump is situated in the forward front Left wheel arch, New pumps are very quiet, best way to check is take the left froward arch liner out hit the raise button and put your hand on the pump you will it vibrate as it try's to pump the suspension up.

When replacing the pump with a new unit you should always replace the relay for the pump at the same time, Arnott replacement pumps come with a new airmatic relay.
Thanks Gav...good to know. I was listening for the pump on the right or driver's side front arch. Maybe why so can't hear anything regardless!

There is a large bill from Welwyn Merx I think from July 2017 where the pump was replaced then amongst lots of other stuff. I suspect there might have been a slight leak then and the same thing happened possibly overworking the pump. Or the pump wasn't a good one although it was circa £300 from memory so seems like the correct item.

As you all say it is not really a deal breaker and needs to be looked at anyway. Just forces the issue to be done sooner rather than later. Maybe not such a bad thing anyway. Done day one and then no need to worry.

Is there any way to manually pump these up or use any other type of compressor/pump as a temp thing to raise to the level enough for it to be driven OK?

I could probably get the AA to recover it to a garage I expect if not.

dont think so, The struts have check valves so if its going down when parked i'd say what ever corner it is will be a strut leaking, Alps on here had one leak around the alloy air tank where the rubber hose attached. The alloy became porous.

Just got the car in the garage on the lift. I was midflow clearing the garage so force me to get that done! Just looking at it now.

Does this look like the Airmatic compressor? If so it doesn't look that new does it?

314a936cea4b160dc6904486cd14c9fd.jpg

Actually don't think it is...looks wrong to me...more like air con. Will need take wheel and arch line off I think as it looks hidden. In there just in front of the wheel.

You can either remove the front section of the arch liner, or the very forward plastic splash guard behind the front bumper. It’s in the wheel arch forward of the front wheel not the engine bay buddy.

Thanks...I can see it now I'll go for front undercover under bumper as it is on the lift so easier than taking wheel off and liner. At least I'm getting the garage and lift working now [emoji6]

9f3b1eecf509aaccb9377a232d5f2965.jpg

Bingo! Dam so jealous right now lol
I'm loving it...got a coffee some tunes a sofa...nothing further needed in life! I'm moving into the garage [emoji6]

Right the compressor comes on for about 25 secs.on startup then goes off. Doesn't sound knackered but easily could be I guess.

Tried it on 4 start ups and same 25 ish secs each time then shuts off.

Makes sense it is the compressor I guess with slight leak somewhere on system.

Might just order a compressor in anyway with relay and fuse to be safe. Is this main dealer only or something you can get Gav?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom