My SE Tried To Kill Me Today !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
The car has been playing up for months now. The usual running problems like cutting out, bad starting(hot or cold), rough running, ABS light on etc. I replaced the OVP a few months ago which seemed to calm things down and the car ran okay-ish. Running great one day then no end of problems the next.

Today it went crazy, cutting out without warning, running like a pile of ****e, hunting up and down and surging. The ABS light was flashing on and off and then just as I was pulling up at the lights it surged forward rapidly and I had to stamp on the brakes hard.

The one last thing I hadn't checked before, was the Bosch KE-Jet ECU, so as a last resort I pulled it out and took the cover off to check the solder joints on the circuit board.
I found at least 30 dark and cracked joints !! The worst ones were where the loom clips into the ECU. So I decided to go over all the joints with the soldering iron just to be on the safe side.

Plugged the ECU back in and turned the key, the engine fired up almost instantly and idled rock solid.
I took it for a drive and it runs great with no cutting out etc. The idle is now silky smooth instead of being lumpy and hunting up and down. also now when I rev the car to say, 2000rpm and lift off the accelerator it instantly drops to 700rpm and holds rock steady. Beforehand it would have almost stalled, then hunted until it settled down to a lowly 500rpm.

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together:D

Sadly I didn't take any pictures. I will borrow some from thw 190 forum on what to look out for and how to fix. Back in a few mins.

Stolen from mercedes-190.co.uk, posted by admin, Kentronix. I'm also admin and have permission to post this copy and paste thread from the 190 forum.
I hope this helps and gives confidence to any members here to tackle the relays/ECU's and any other age related problems they might be having with ECU's etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This can be a bit of an art as often they are almost impossible to see but after opening up my fuel pump relay I noticed a couple of good examples. One is probably the average type and the other is one of the hard to spot ones. Ignore the obvious half ****d repair above them, it was just a burnt out track and I was in a rush.... OK :)

Roughly what you see with an eye and a magnifying glass :- I use jewelers/engineers eyeglass to find all the dodgy solder joints. It is vastly better than a magnifying glass.

IMGP0597.jpg

Lets get a bit more light on that :-
IMGP0598.jpg

A bit of photoshopping to bring out the detail.
IMGP0599-1.jpg

IMGP0600.jpg

And the money shot !!
IMGP0596.jpg

All you need to repair one is a soldering iron, heat it up fully until its all liquid and then let it cool slowly. I tend to remove some of the solder and redo it with new solder but thats not really needed.

Last edited:
Yup very similar to the climate control unit in our Audi:

Audiclimate.jpg

I think the hot/cold cycles, vibration, etc. are pretty tough on soldered joints.

And this in an "over-engineered" 1989 car which is "light" in electronics by today's standards! Doesn't bode well for the long term prospects of today's electronic laden models.:dk:

Yup. Not much chance of 'DIY' repairs to modern micro-electronics either.

Hope you used a temperature controlled iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom