My SL55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nothing but admiration for all your skill and work you've done and the attention to detail, you've changed an average to nice looking SL into a very desirable motor car, but please oh please change the front grill! IMHO it 's far too 'Barry from Halfords' and lets down the whole appeal of the vehicle .
(just my opinion and totally understand do what you want to your car etc - some people would hate the mods I've done to mine!) That aside, please keep the mods/posts coming, it's great to see and we all luv 'em!

Matt :thumb:

I do agree with Matt and go with a OEM front grill. I also agree with Matt on the amazing work you have done especially with only a jack and a couple of axle stands :oops:

I have very much enjoyed your posts, it's what makes this Forum very special :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words, opinions noted on the grill. I knew it was a bit marmite but i had to do something as the original was literally just sat there with nothing bolting it down. There aren't many options for grills and personally I'm not a fan of the original, I think it dates the car. My search hasn't ended yet though 👍

Thanks for the kind words, opinions noted on the grill. I knew it was a bit marmite but i had to do something as the original was literally just sat there with nothing bolting it down. There aren't many options for grills and personally I'm not a fan of the original, I think it dates the car. My search hasn't ended yet though 👍
I used to have the black version of the aftermarket grille on my SL but changed back to the OEM grille. I can't decide between them.

Lovely car in a very nice colour. I've tried quite a few grills on my SL, including the new diamond style one from CKS which I fitted for a grand total of 5 minutes ( very marmite and not for me).

I noticed you are running PS4 / PS4s, how do you rate them?

Attachments

• IMG_4641.jpg
    IMG_4641.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Lovely car in a very nice colour. I've tried quite a few grills on my SL, including the new diamond style one from CKS which I fitted for a grand total of 5 minutes ( very marmite and not for me).

I noticed you are running PS4 / PS4s, how do you rate them?

Thank you, Yours is lovely too, I would have also gone for a black with tan interior if I could find one, always been a favourite combo of mine. I actually quite like that grill, I find the original grill to be a bit boring and makes the front end a bit dated sad there isn't more options.

I've been using derivatives of the Pilot Sport tyres for years and Im a huge fan but these PS4S tyres are on another level again, theyre bloody fantastic! Instantly more traction and the front end has loads more bite, highly recommend them :thumb:

@Talkwrench Thank you. It's great to see someone else getting hands-on with their SL. I see you are getting Star soon, I have just spent the last week finally getting mine working, let me know if you need any advice on this.

The diamond grill itself looked ok from the front but slightly too 'bling' for my liking on a black car. The quality was very impressive though (Howell Automotive in Taiwan), which I think is who made your mirror covers? I agree though the standard SL grill is just too bland.

Re tyres, I'm yet to really push mine since fitting them in September but great to hear your feedback!

@Talkwrench Thank you. It's great to see someone else getting hands-on with their SL. I see you are getting Star soon, I have just spent the last week finally getting mine working, let me know if you need any advice on this.

The diamond grill itself looked ok from the front but slightly too 'bling' for my liking on a black car. The quality was very impressive though (Howell Automotive in Taiwan), which I think is who made your mirror covers? I agree though the standard SL grill is just too bland.

Re tyres, I'm yet to really push mine since fitting them in September but great to hear your feedback!

I received my STAR system already and managed to get it set up and working straight away, I spent some time this morning having a play. There is much to learn but overall im really impressed with the depth of functionality offered by the system. I did manage to browse through the stored faults and cleared most of them, only two remained. One is the fact I dont have a phone connected and the other being the refrigerant gas pressure is low which i knew becuase the AC doesnt work. I'll address this before the summer comes back around.

Yes Howell supplied the wing mirrors and they're exceptional quality, really happy with them. Just the rear carbon diffuser to fit to complete the exterior mods, I keep putting it off due to the crappy weather. Over the winter I think I will trim the roof and pillar trims, then next year I can concentrate my efforts under the bonnet :cool:

I received my STAR system already and managed to get it set up and working straight away, I spent some time this morning having a play. There is much to learn but overall im really impressed with the depth of functionality offered by the system. I did manage to browse through the stored faults and cleared most of them, only two remained. One is the fact I dont have a phone connected and the other being the refrigerant gas pressure is low which i knew becuase the AC doesnt work. I'll address this before the summer comes back around.

Yes Howell supplied the wing mirrors and they're exceptional quality, really happy with them. Just the rear carbon diffuser to fit to complete the exterior mods, I keep putting it off due to the crappy weather. Over the winter I think I will trim the roof and pillar trims, then next year I can concentrate my efforts under the bonnet :cool:
Which MBUX did you for, C3 or C4? I'm also without A/c at the moment due to the compressor pulley making a bid for freedom down the M4 a few months ago. Luckily the design means the pulley takes the brunt of the failure and saves the compressor.

What diffuser have you gone for? I've been on the fence about fitting one due to fitting issues I have seen from some members, and I'm still hoping an SL63 rear bumper might pop up one day...

Sounds like we have similar plans for 2021 regarding performance mods, look forward to seeing those 👍

Which MBUX did you for, C3 or C4? I'm also without A/c at the moment due to the compressor pulley making a bid for freedom down the M4 a few months ago. Luckily the design means the pulley takes the brunt of the failure and saves the compressor.

What diffuser have you gone for? I've been on the fence about fitting one due to fitting issues I have seen from some members, and I'm still hoping an SL63 rear bumper might pop up one day...

Sounds like we have similar plans for 2021 regarding performance mods, look forward to seeing those 👍

I have the C4, it appears to work quite well.

Diffuser is another Taiwanese purchase from King Power and I expect some fettling will be required, that'll complete the exterior mods. I just can't find the motivation to fit it when the weather is so crap. Chances are I'll wait for the spring now, I tend to spend winter stock piling parts, then all summer with the cars in bits :doh:

I've already made a start with some simple under the bonnet mods.

So after reading some posts on the US forums about the air filters obstructing air flow into the airbox and using an airbox spacer can gain 7-10hp! Sounded like a simple mod, I have seen some spacer kits offered online for frankly silly money for a very crude solution, I decided I could do alot better for alot less!

The problem.

Ewl5zTy.jpg

My solution

GBcRQyO.jpg

Sliced the STL file into G Code the 3D printer understands

TgPz3Ps.jpg

And printed, I had to split the part into 2 so it'd fit on the print bed.

xZj64ho.jpg

Im still waiting for the other one to finish printing. They take 40 hours each :oops:

So whilst I wait for them to finish printing i thought I might as well put some heat reflective tape on the bottom of the airboxes, it might only make a very small difference, i might do nothing but why not!

0sD4Uyj.jpg

Im still on the search for those black interior pieces, I found a pair of black sun visors in Germany but they wanted 140 quid EACH!!!! that was without the black retaining brackets too! I ain't paying that, I think im going to send my grey vinyl ones out for trimming rather than pay that. At least then they'll match the roof lining and pillar trims, probably go for yellow french seams like the gear gaiter too.

I have the C4, it appears to work quite well.

Diffuser is another Taiwanese purchase from King Power and I expect some fettling will be required, that'll complete the exterior mods. I just can't find the motivation to fit it when the weather is so crap. Chances are I'll wait for the spring now, I tend to spend winter stock piling parts, then all summer with the cars in bits :doh:

I've already made a start with some simple under the bonnet mods.

So after reading some posts on the US forums about the air filters obstructing air flow into the airbox and using an airbox spacer can gain 7-10hp! Sounded like a simple mod, I have seen some spacer kits offered online for frankly silly money for a very crude solution, I decided I could do alot better for alot less!

The problem.

Ewl5zTy.jpg

My solution

GBcRQyO.jpg

Sliced the STL file into G Code the 3D printer understands

TgPz3Ps.jpg

And printed, I had to split the part into 2 so it'd fit on the print bed.

xZj64ho.jpg

Im still waiting for the other one to finish printing. They take 40 hours each :oops:

So whilst I wait for them to finish printing i thought I might as well put some heat reflective tape on the bottom of the airboxes, it might only make a very small difference, i might do nothing but why not!

0sD4Uyj.jpg

Im still on the search for those black interior pieces, I found a pair of black sun visors in Germany but they wanted 140 quid EACH!!!! that was without the black retaining brackets too! I ain't paying that, I think im going to send my grey vinyl ones out for trimming rather than pay that. At least then they'll match the roof lining and pillar trims, probably go for yellow french seams like the gear gaiter too.
Yep - you've got to be careful with MB breakers and particularly German ones on eBay. You often see prices for used (sometimes well used) parts much higher than buying new from MB.

Interesting to see the results off the butt-dynamometer after you have fitted those ( or even a real one)!

What 3D printer do you have? The extent of my CAD design for the R230 was designing a dashboard facia to house a 9-inch touch screen for the head unit I was building from scratch (whilst retaining the cupholders). If the results of the airbox spacing are good I will have to print some myself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 9.11.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 9.11.19 AM.png
    795.2 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to the forum from another SL owner. Love the colour and it is indeed rare, I have only seen 2 cars this colour including yours. If you do a search you will find many threads describing what to check on the SL, I have done a few.........

1. Check the boot seal at the bottom of rear window as it tends to leak but there is a cheap fix for this. If the boot carpet is damp then I suspect the seal leaks.
2. Check all 5 water drains are clear, 1 in the front at the base of the airbox (which is under the passenger side bonnet vent), 1 each at base of c pillars and 1 each at the ends of the boot seal. Pull back the passenger carpet and make sure it is dry underneath, a wet or damp carpet indicates a blocked or previously blocked airbox drain.
3. Make sure the PSE pump in the boot is dry, its under the boot floor panel on the nearside under a big sponge. If the sponge is dry then the pump should be dry.
4. The ABC suspension hydraulic fluid should be light green in colour, if its brown or even worse black get it changed.
6. The rear wheel arches can rust, the inner arch lining allows crud to collect.
6. Check the age of the consumer battery, this is the one in the boot. This battery runs all the electrics and has a hard life. The battery under the bonnet is only for starting the car.
7. Does the gearbox go from Park into Drive smoothly, these cars have a plastic linkage which can crack and break which results in being stuck in Park.
8. Listen for any metallic noise coming from the fuel tank, there is a baffle in the tank that can break free and cause an annoying rattle when the fuel level gets low.
Great advice - very well covered.

As for history its a 2004 80K mile example, full MB & McClaren service history. Im the 8th owner and to be fair I bought it off condition really, I had a good dig around it looked to be in good shape and the paint colour totally sold it to me! haha.

As for spec, its the got Designo Chromaflair 031U paint, anthracite interior, panoramic roof, bose sound, massage heated & cooled seats, keyless go phone in the arm rest which has suddenly stopped opening. I've no idea what is standard equipment on these, I know! i really should have done more research ahead of purchasing and as usual I bought it with my heart. Im no stranger to working on cars and I'm highly confident I can get this car in tip top shape, the work starts tomorrow with swapping out bushings, ball joints and brakes all round & Thursday should see the engine & gearbox mounts swapped out.

List of known faults thus far are:-

Ash tray cover doesn't close
Arm rest wont open
Engine start / stop button doesnt work but keyless entry does. Hoping the button is at fault here
crack in the centre console plastics
Little cover missing from the all foldy bits in the back
Some wheel arch liner fasteners missing
Crank pulley has got a bit of a wobble on
Clunks like mad over speed bumps
Engine NVH is a bit much
brakes are haggered
tyres are perished!

So plenty to be getting on with. As for wheel choice, they're inbound but not AMG or OEM and certainly not Chinese!

Oh and I have already swapped the manky buttons for some aesthetically pleasing paddles

F1AXcWt.jpg
I like the idea of having a set of these for my beast! From where did you get them from?

Ive also seen talks on the US forums about lifting the air filters, do you think it actually works...? The risers are silly money.

Ive also seen talks on the US forums about lifting the air filters, do you think it actually works...? The risers are silly money.
What would this achieve or hope to achieve?

What would this achieve or hope to achieve?
As Talkwrench mentioned they claim a small increase in BHP due to the increase in volume inside the filter housing. The post I found did a before and after dyno but I'm no CFD engineer to speculate otherwise. 🙃

Hopefully judging by your username you might be able tell us otherwise lol

The OP hasn't been on here this year, so I suspect he may not be monitoring this thread......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom