My temporary secretary...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
....wanted to go off for the rest afternoon. No matter that she is half way through compling an urgent and complex report/spreadsheet package due out by 6.00 this evening. Why, I ask?

"To pray for the Pope, who is back in hospital."

I tell you, all those "Managing Diversity" and "Managing with Respect" sessions do not help much when you want to strangle someone.

Sounds to me like she's swinging one!!

Diversity is about recognising and embracing the different cultures that we have and what that might mean for individuals and where religion is concerned about understanding that some religions place specific requirements on it's followers - such as prayer at set times. Diversity policies encourage us to allow that to happen, but it doesn't get anyone out of doing their job!

Going to pray for the Pope suggests that she is RC - afaik there's no reason why she shouldn't go and pray at a church when she can. She could pray for him quietly in the loo if she felt the need - but bunking off from her job - taking the P and undoing the good work that these policies are there to do. :mad:

Last edited:
Religious debates. Always good for starting a fight :D

Could always sack her for failing to be at work and therefore not meeting the minimum requirements of her contract. I'd check on the legal side of it, but not turning up for work is breach of contract in the most basic sense unless you have other wording in your contracts for sickness or special holidays.

It's quite possible to sack people when they go on strike for exactly the same reason!

Satch said:
....wanted to go off for the rest afternoon. No matter that she is half way through compling an urgent and complex report/spreadsheet package due out by 6.00 this evening. Why, I ask?

"To pray for the Pope, who is back in hospital."

I tell you, all those "Managing Diversity" and "Managing with Respect" sessions do not help much when you want to strangle someone.

Lol ! :D

I must remember that one !

As far as I am concerned it is a load of (Papal) bull and she wants to get off early maybe for an interview as her engagement here finishes on Friday afternoon.

Anyway, walked out at 4.15 and if she comes back will find access card no longer works.

Terminated.

She's a temp.
Get rid.
Then get the agency to provide a replacement who will do the job properly, or let them know you will get rid of them.

Satch said:
Anyway, walked out at 4.15 and if she comes back will find access card no longer works.

Terminated.
Tomorrow morning: "Don't bother to take your coat off!" :)

Sack her and wait for the Pope ringing to plead with you to take her back on!!!!Not.

too many privilidges....they are paid to work and should be at work.

lazy idle workshy bint

scumbag said:
lazy idle workshy bint

Don't know about that!

Satch said:
No matter that she is half way through compling an urgent and complex report/spreadsheet package due out by 6.00 this evening. Why, I ask?

That is unforgiveable. You might well be right in thinking that she might be going for another interview. I think I would restore her access, then have her in the office to sort out where she went. Offer to write a reference, obtain the name of her future employer and then.... Terminate her access.

I am amazed at what she has done, half way through a report!!!!!

You deserve better.

Good luck,
John

Well we managed to get the report out no thanks to her. Think I know now why she bolted: had made a complete mess of the compiling into a single document

In the end we just cobbled the sections different people had done as 6 attachments onto an email and it looks like a last minute POS. Which of course it is.

Whilst attempting to salvage the work one of the lads came across this still open on her browser:

http://spcdc.saint-mike.org/swprayers/default.asp

Cannot find one for Protection Against Crap Secretaries, but members of this forum may find the ones for the confession of a surprisingly comprehensive range of sins of fleshly lust useful....

And Linda, if you ever read this, you left your Prozac behind.

Satch,

Although you probably won't read this till tomorrow, I would recommend ringing up the agency and really laying it on thick about the amount that your temp (Linda) let you down yesterday, rather than being honest about the lack of her ability to pull together the document, she lied and left you at the last minute to put together the report to be sent out.

The good agencies (and even just the average ones) usually test their secretarial staff for typing speeds and ability to use standard MS office programs (word, excel, powerpoint) and email, so you could ask how she managed to slip through the net?

You could try looking for a reduction in the hourly rate, or a complete refund for the day (week?).

It is annoying to see someone lie about their inability and then to say they have to go and pray for the pope. This is ridiculous. It is not a regilious holiday or common practice so is not necessary to agree to give her the time off.

Raising this with the agency will hopefully make them realise that they can't just send you anyone...and they will hopefully thank you for bringing their employees behaviour to their attention.

Good luck.

Cheers

Sparky.

some quite complicated responses here ;)

The best one I believe and the one I would adopt is . . .

" . . . and dont come back!" :crazy:

Spoke to her agency this morning. There have been "issues" with other clients they have sent her out to.

So for once not just me being a git.

Satch said:
Spoke to her agency this morning. There have been "issues" with other clients they have sent her out to.

So for once not just me being a git.
Would you have taken her on if you'd known about the "issues"? Surely this is bad for the agency if they repeatedly hire out rubbish staff?

This is one of the reasons why I don't really like agencies, well except for the one that got me my current contract, they rule! ;)

Satch said:

This speaks volumes about this particular agency. They KNEW that this employee has 'issues' yet they still have her on their books??

Are there any other more reliable agencies in your area?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom