My train journey home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Normally, Waterloo to Martins Heron ... 1 hour 5 mins.

Tonight ... 3.5 hours.

Waterloo to Staines (maybe 2/3 of the way home). Train terminates there.

Get off, take train from Staines to Windsor & Eton Riverside.

Get off, walk through town centre to main Windsor station.

Train from Windsor to Slough.

Get off, take train from Slough to Reading.

Get off, take train from Reading to Wokingham.

Get off, wait for bus. Find out others have been waiting 90 mins so far. Phone wife: "I'm in Wokingham, come and get me."

Aaaaargh

Ok I feel a bit better now.

Nightmare .... :crazy:

I do have a question though , did Martin ever really live there and did he have a heron ?

What a great journey for any budding train enthusiast.

Nice reframe Oldcro.;)

Wait till you hear the services between Liverpool St. and Norwich.

5 people jumped in front of the trains since Xmas at Mark Tey, 4 to 5 hours delay every time.

The electric cable broke loose this week, only one line open, 3 days of delays.

Two weeks ago debris fell from a bridge near Liverpool St., 2 days of delays.

How's that new Tesco coming on in Martins Heron?
It was a major refurb., apparently completed now. Not sure if they're still letting rail passengers park in the Tesco car park for £2 (?) as they did before.

I do have a question though , did Martin ever really live there and did he have a heron ?

Martin's Heron
Martin's Heron is one of the most recent developments in Bracknell. The housing estate, including the Railway Station, is built on the parkland that once surrounded the mansion of Martin's Herne (or Heron), originally called Goddard's Croft. The house that was pulled down in the early 1980s was probably built around 1750. It was the residence of a succession of high ranking army officials and minor members of the nobility. General William Gordon lived there in the late 18th century. He was Groom of the Bed-Chamber to King George III and the King was a frequent visitor to Martin's Heron. A grassy walk used to be pointed out as one that the King particularly liked to stroll along. General Gordon is best known for controlling the mob during the Gordon Riots of 1780 as recorded in Dicken's "Barnaby Rudge".

Major-General Sir Henry Rooke took on the house in the mid 1820s. He was a personal friend of HRH the Duke of Gloucester, but is best known in Winkfield for establishing one of the first Agricultural Societies in the parish. General Rooke spent a large amount of money improving his house Martin's Heron. It was latterly home to Baroness Berkeley and her family
So now you know :D

What a great journey for any budding train enthusiast.
Walking through Windsor was actually quite pleasant. I've never been to Slough before, so that was exciting. Almost.

Normally, Waterloo to Martins Heron ... 1 hour 5 mins.

Tonight ... 3.5 hours.

Waterloo to Staines (maybe 2/3 of the way home). Train terminates there.

Get off, take train from Staines to Windsor & Eton Riverside.

Get off, walk through town centre to main Windsor station.

Train from Windsor to Slough.

Get off, take train from Slough to Reading.

Get off, take train from Reading to Wokingham.

Get off, wait for bus. Find out others have been waiting 90 mins so far. Phone wife: "I'm in Wokingham, come and get me."

Aaaaargh

Ok I feel a bit better now.
:devil: :devil: :devil: Brilliant,
As you said earlier, it's all about choice and you have opted to use public transport:D :D :D (sorry for the tongue in cheek remark, but I've been waiting sooooo long for you to criticise something some folks no longer have the option of)

Be grateful you at least have a service.

regards
John

On balance it's still better than driving to London every day. I get through a lot of books though ;)

Apparently it was a broken down train last night, that seems to happen a lot more frequently nowadays. Often a computer/electronics problem, which is 'game over' compared to the old days where there wasn't much that couldn't be fixed by a fitter with a large hammer :D

On balance it's still better than driving to London every day.

I went to a meeting in Maidenhead the other day and then drove home to Chester. One of my colleagues drove some people to their hotel in London, and I got home (bit under 3hrs) before he got the hotel! :crazy:

For my job, I really ought to live in that area, but I hear commuting horror stories every time I speak to them. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom