My Tree has a drink problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

For the week or so that my Christmas Tree has been up, it has needed to be filled up with water every day, however over the past few days it is drinking a lot less.

Is this normal?

I have never had a real tree before, I cut an inch or so off the base before I put the tree up, so really hope that it does not redoing as redecorating will be a real pain.

A real tree, subjected to the sort of temperatures typical inside a house, will sweat like the proverbial pig. You will need gallons of water to keep it happy.

Is it rooted, or cut? If it's a cut one, it will gradually lose the battle and give up and die. This may be why the thirst is gradually waning. A cut tree cannot survive without a root structure.

Your central heating will be drying it out faster than a fast thing. Just keep topping it up everyday or it won't last until at least boxing day. :)

Your central heating will be drying it out faster than a fast thing. Just keep topping it up everyday or it won't last until at least boxing day. :)

Bloody landlords........;)

The tree will initially drink lots to try and recover from being stored, transported etc. A balance will be reached once in your home a few days. The end is inevitable though.....

Put it in a container that does not have a bloody great hole in the bottom. The people downstairs think you have a leak.:doh:

My dog's decided that he prefers by far the taste of the water in the tree-stand than the water in his bowl...

Quite annoying as it means I need to top up the tree stand several times a day!

(and I'm pretty sure my tree isn't dipped, picked it up from a farm yesterday. Quite nice really, and very cheap - £20 for a 10+ foot tree :) )

My stand just screws into the bottom of the tree. It doesn't stand in water. Is that necessary?

My stand just screws into the bottom of the tree. It doesn't stand in water. Is that necessary?

Absolutely - then just plug in the lights taking care to put the transformer into the bucket at the bottom...it needs water too.

Absolutely - then just plug in the lights taking care to put the transformer into the bucket at the bottom...it needs water too.

Naughty!
7e975666.gif

Bieing a little more serious, I've heard putting an aspirin in the water makes the tree last longer... not sure how true it is... (others are putting a little bit of coca-cola)

Last edited:

So, an outdoor transformer then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom