My trip to France in the C55 with tom tom and comand!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slight hijack.

Recently updated my Tom Tom 730 GO ready for this years travels. 35 smackers, all quite painless 'til the first time I want to use it.
Guess what. Now I cannot put in six digit post codes:doh: I have to flaff about with street names and house numbers.

If it aint broke dont fix it.

As I understand it the law in Germany has a bit of a loophole in that it specifically restricts speed camera locations being displayed on a map but fails to mention audible warnings. Consequently a lot of people are making transparent icons for the POI's and as a double safeguard, renaming the camera files.

Is this a recent change?

I'm pretty sure TomTom still provide normal POIs for Germany. I certainly got alerts from mine when I was there 6 months ago.

Edit: yes, TomTom supply camera locations for: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and UK.

http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=3&tab=22

Last edited:
One of the major problems with providing camera database capability on built-in navigation devices could well be the great variance in international, European law I suspect. For example, isn't it Switzerland where you will have your sat nav seized and destroyed if it contains a camera database?

France too, will destroy the unit in front of you.

That is incorrect. It is radar / laser detectors not GPS. Speed camera detectors | Speed cameras in France

For me, trailing leads and separate screens are a pain and unsightly. But the speed camera alerts were useful.

Main downside of Comand is no speed camera database but you can just buy an Inforad. Took ours when we went France and it worked great. Free updates too no subscription charges. http://www.gpsinforad.co.uk/default.asp

Last edited:
It was awesome on the French roads. Truely awesome. Effortless power whenever it was needed.

Totally unsuitable in the snow. Frustratingly bad in fact. Snow chains were on and off more times than a tarts drawers!

I need a 4x4. Given the liking I have for power it will need to have a big engine. Something like a 6.3 I reckon!

Winter/snow tyres fitted?? One sees plenty of big Mercs cruising about the Alps

Garmin vs Comand

I have tried a Garmin nuvi against my Comand unit (55 reg car so only a DVD version not the latest hard drive). They both had their good points similar to what has been said above. However, the real problem with the Garmin (and Tom Tom) is stealability - leave one in your car whilst parked and you risk a smashed side window and no satnav. The Police even advise hiding the wires and fittings as well to avoid telling opportunists that you have got a satnav and have them burgle your car to have a good rummage in the glovebox. I had that happen to me once when I had a removable CD player. The car was trashed in an unsuccessful search for the CD player which I had taken out of the car with me. So for convenience our Garmin hides in the "other" car and is used only occasionally whilst the Comand is on permanently and I wouldn't be without it.

Just take the suction mounts off and hide the chargers, no one will know. I have resorted to resting the Tom Tom in the cigarrete tray and this does without the need for a mount.

Note also a Tom Tom you can store and plan routes in it, you can update it cheaper than a COMAND, take it from car to car, and for inputting is far quicker than a COMAND in my view.

Steve

I thought your major gripe with the COMAND was the location of it on the dash ?

COMAND also has a location memory and an additional list of recent routes.

Steve

I thought your major gripe with the COMAND was the location of it on the dash ?

And its usability and time taken to input basic addresses. I can choose to put it there, or to suction mount it.

COMAND also has a location memory and an additional list of recent routes.

So does a Tom Tom.

The newer one with the rotary dial controller is a lot more user friendly.

The newer one (COMAND) with the rotary dial controller is a lot more user friendly.

Mine isn't difficult to use .........

OK, it doesn't give you the 'exact' street location but if you cannot look at house numbers then you must be blind and therefore shouldn't be guiding a car.

Mine isn't difficult to use .........

You showed me it, the CLS had the sameone as yours, and on my own really struggled with it. The 212 one, it just worked without having to consult anything. Its a big leap forward.

OK, it doesn't give you the 'exact' street location but if you cannot look at house numbers then you must be blind and therefore shouldn't be guiding a car.

Thats not my issue with it, all about the usability. The pluses are is that its intergrated to the car and mutes stereo/nav when phone rings etc but personally, not something I would choose to have.

Others are different, Alfie is at the other end of the spectrum and makes a living out of fitting the things. I was tempted to get one, that was until i tried it in the CLS

So how was the new chalet Alfie?
I take possesion of mine on the 27th, can't wait!
Was thinking of taking the E55 out in Feb, but even with snow tyres I think the sensible option will be the Discovery!

Does not work for me, I gave up on it. My experiences obviously do not tally with others, and for that I am glad.

I prefer CoPilot. It is cheaper and all you have to do is download it for about £26 (UK & ireland) and I think £56 (all of Europe) to your compatible WM or Android Phone and Voila! you have a standard SatNav with all the works system right on your phone.

The swiss authorities wont be catching me :bannana:. All they,ll see on my vent holder is my HTC desire Z phone with a 3.7' screen. They will have no idea I have CoPilot Live running in the background :devil:. Hahahahahahahahaha till fades

Sounds likes you had a good trip altogether Alfie. If you have some pictures of the trip it would be nice to see some.

Your feedback on the Comand vs Tom is interesting. I have an aftermarket Garmin Nuvi in the company BMW. This clicks into an mount which then integrates it with the stereo for hands free dialling - including voice dial with my new HTC7 phone. The womens voice on the Garmin is awful and sounds computer generated. It also does the turn around bit when entering a slip road. I do however find the postcode input useful.

On the Comand I have the more long winded manual input but I like the fact the voice is more natural and the turn by turn i displayed in the instrument cluster.

Strongly advise camera alert app if you have an iphone (think android too) £20 a year, updates every week, fixed AND all the mobile cameras and runs nicely in the background without affecting anyone/anything. makes up for the no camera database of command

been using it for few years and the database is absolutely spot-on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom