• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

My view on 204 vs 205 C63

This has been an entertaining thread and it's been interesting to hear the comparisons twixt W204 & W205 that have for the most part avoided the "anyone who doesn't accept that the W20x is best is an idiot" diatribe that other threads have attracted in the past.

When I swapped from my pre-facelift Biturbo E63 to a facelift model, after driving a W205 C63 I seriously considered that as an option in a way I never considered the W204 C63 which I'd driven before. For me, the W205 is a much more rounded package that builds on the strengths of the W204 but adds others and is a car I could happily live with as a daily driver in a way I couldn't with the W204.

I'm glad we're all different and pleased that @Spider10 has found a car in the spec he wants and wish him a very happy ownership experience with a gorgeous new-to-him car.

This has been an entertaining thread and it's been interesting to hear the comparisons twixt W204 & W205 that have for the most part avoided the "anyone who doesn't accept that the W20x is best is an idiot" diatribe that other threads have attracted in the past.

When I swapped from my pre-facelift Biturbo E63 to a facelift model, after driving a W205 C63 I seriously considered that as an option in a way I never considered the W204 C63 which I'd driven before. For me, the W205 is a much more rounded package that builds on the strengths of the W204 but adds others and is a car I could happily live with as a daily driver in a way I couldn't with the W204.

I'm glad we're all different and pleased that @Spider10 has found a car in the spec he wants and wish him a very happy ownership experience with a gorgeous new-to-him car.
Good post, although there is certainly still a whiff of this around here and not just in this thread.

Life’s all about opinions. Some like apples, others like oranges. It’s all subjective. No right and no wrong.
I prefer the 204. I prefer its analogue, raw nature. I owned a w205 and my father in law still has one.
I’d never buy one, i just don’t like it. Others will love it.
If we were all the same life would be boring.
Enjoy what ever you have…

I have the W205 C63 Coupe, for me it is more pleasing on the eye than the W204, of course that is just my opinion. Both are great cars in their own right.
I might, very reluctantly, be selling my one soon🥲

I have enjoyed and been educated by this thread. I currently own a 204 C63 Estate. I have had it for more than five years as a daily driver, it's the best car all round that I have ever owned, and I have owned a few exotics. The engine, the steering, the seats, the looks. I have a new C63S on order, when the old car will go as part ex. I've driven the 205 but don't want to anticipate my ownership experience. It's interesting hearing everyone's views and experiences, particularly as many have gone down this route.

Life’s all about opinions. Some like apples, others like oranges. It’s all subjective. No right and no wrong.
I prefer the 204. I prefer its analogue, raw nature. I owned a w205 and my father in law still has one.
I’d never buy one, i just don’t like it. Others will love it.
If we were all the same life would be boring.
Enjoy what ever you have…
Lol the cabin of the 205 is miles better than the 204 other than the stuck on infotainment screen 🤣 😂 you say you already owned a 205 but would never buy one (did you mean you'd never buy one again?). I'd almost never buy one again too but only because I want to try different cars.

One gripe with the 205 is the footwell on the left side of the driver area is a bit cramped. The interior materials and styling on the AMG s versions is excellent too. A far nicer cabin overall than the w204. All the technology works so much better too.

I get the 204 is a future classic and bit of history and the engine is truly special and it is lovely to rev around and enjoy and the prices of the 204 are really good too, but I'd honestly recommend people look at the w212 6.2 litre e class as an alternative to the c class if you want that 6.2 engine.

The first w212 E class 6.2 AMGs where not Turbocharged they where N/A like the,
204 AMG 6.2 C class.
I know the earlier ones were not but they were just a bit too ugly for me…

I know the earlier ones were not but they were just a bit too ugly for me…
I understand that you really really like your own car, but why be so negative about other people’s cars? People who own W205, turbocharged and early W212 like their cars just as much as you like yours.

I loved my 204 c63 ppp ,I also love my 205 c63 they are both fantastic cars in their own right 🙂
I also looked at the e63 but as said above I personally found it ugly close up you soon forget the noise from the 204 which is amazing, get the performance exhaust and its just as enjoyable 😉
This is only my opinion we are all different

🙂
I also looked at the e63 but as said above I personally found it ugly close up
Was this a 212 you found ugly? Pre or post face lift? Curious which parts you found ugly.
It certainly has a lot of bulk which I know some people find off-putting!
Or were you looking at a 213?

I understand that you really really like your own car, but why be so negative about other people’s cars? People who own W205, turbocharged and early W212 like their cars just as much as you like yours.
No need to get touchy about it lol…just giving my opinion which everyone is entitled to.
I just think they are ugly…anything wrong with that?

My opinion is a general one regarding the looks of the car, I have not pointed out other peoples cars and slated those. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest what others buy or don’t.

No need to get touchy about it lol…just giving my opinion which everyone is entitled to.
I just think they are ugly…anything wrong with that?

My opinion is a general one regarding the looks of the car, I have not pointed out other peoples cars and slated those. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest what others buy or don’t.
Just not very nice is it?

Thankfully other members haven’t said the M156 is a bucket of bolts and the W204 looks like it’s fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every ugly branch on the way down.

The one with the turbo…no thanks!
Yeah as smart AMG mentions it is the 6.2 but properly tuned to 520hp vs the modest numbers on the standard 204. Granted the 212 is heavy vs the 204, however the cabin is better, the suspension and comfort set up are actually rather excellent and it has a plush ride and excellent handling feel albeit with the weight penalty.
Looks wise the 212 pre facelift design is iconic IMO, better than the facelift but yes does lack the better intelligent LED lighting etc
With the right options you can get massaging seats etc and it is a step up from C class of that period.

Thought I'd throw the 212 into the discussion because of its 6.2 engine which is the only thing the 204 has that makes it special.

Just not very nice is it?

Thankfully other members haven’t said the M156 is a bucket of bolts and the W204 looks like it’s fallen out of the ugly tree and hit every ugly branch on the way down.
Even if they did I’d be fine with it…the m156 doesn’t pay my bills 😂

Even if they did I’d be fine with it…the m156 doesn’t pay my bills 😂
I didn’t think it would bother you in the slightest, but negativity does have a detrimental effect on the feel of the forum.

Was this a 212 you found ugly? Pre or post face lift? Curious which parts you found ugly.
It certainly has a lot of bulk which I know some people find off-putting!
Or were you looking at a 213?
It was both pre facelift and facelift I had an issue with the back which in all fairness looked like a taxi ,everything else including the interior was nice it just looked a far bigger car on the eye's even though its not on paper ,some very nice options aswell I did enquire about the silver 1 on here but was too late which turned out better for me as i found the car and spec I was after .
I even test drove the golf R but NO comparison there there was no theatr just foot down and go a 10 year old could drive 1 flat out I also drove the M4 typical BMW ,sparce on interior and nowhere near as good as the w204 let alone the 205 🙂

It was both pre facelift and facelift I had an issue with the back which in all fairness looked like a taxi
Sleeper 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom