My W123 560E Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattjones

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and though I'd post pics of my project car. It might not be to everyone's taste...

So, this is how she looked when I bought it some six years ago:

Toby__s_project_001.jpg

Then the engine went bang. In fact, it was the third engine that went bang in as many years. Needless to say, I was getting a little tired of the 230E unit.

For a while it languished under a tree, then I took this out of my rotten 560SEL:

PA120068.jpg

Then took this out of my 230E:

P2060070.jpg

Which got thrown away to make rooms for this:

P2070086.jpg

Which soon looked like this:

P2070091.jpg

And found its way in here:

P2080093.jpg

The I tried to some stupidly wide wheels:

16052007003.jpg

16052007002.jpg

Which didn't work out terribly well. So I looked at this for a bit longer to make myself feel better:

DSC01239.jpg

And had this fitted:

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01246.jpg

Then parked it outside for a month:

DSC00042-1.jpg

During which time, I fixed the sill:

DSC00039.jpg

And made a video of it revving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEgLwFU2uvk

Then it went back in the air for some longevity treatment:

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

During which time I fitted some W126 calipers and EBC vented discs and pads:

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

I did some more rust repair and lowered it a tad:

DSC00097.jpg

Getting bored of filler and sandpaper, I turned my hand inside after my new switch holes were machined out:

DSC00205.jpg

If you were wondering, they're for these W126 electric leather seats (a straight swap):

PA290002.jpg

But they were looking horrible and smelt of dog so, with the help of Furniture Clinic, I did this:

PA290045.jpg

Then I had a go at metal polishing. But I failed miserably and gave it to a professional, who made it look very pretty:

DSC00216.jpg

An MoT ensued, which it passed. Now it's being tinkered by W123 V8 conversion gnu, Martyn Ball, in Devon - he did all the tricky stuff. I just wielded a spanner. Then it's off to be painted.

During which time, a friend has laser etched my company name into the 1/4 lights, turning this logo:

JonesIndustries.jpg

Into this:

DSCI0323.jpg

I'll update when something exciting happens. I hope you enjoyed reading.

Matt

Last edited:
Well, I've been a busy boy. But I'm determined to keep pics of the car under my hat until it's 100% finished. For now, though, here's my new rubber :)

TB5pic.jpg

And yes, they are road legal!

FINISHED!!

It's just got an MoT, the AFM's been sorted and it goes like STINK! I haven't got pictures because it's off to the bodyshop shortly for a new coat.

Are there any Merc meets this year? And would I be welcome d'you reckon...?

So, I went to Essen Techno Classica in the Benzoid and I can confirm that it's literally the best show in the entire world ever.

But our journey wasn't without hitch...

It all started so well, too - we even got on the right Eurotunnel train:

R0017436.jpg

Then, since European speeding legislation doesn't really count, I did lots of this:

R0017568.jpg

Naturally, disaster soon followed. My German doesn't even cover the bare courtesies of daily intercourse, so it was in no way strong enough for sustained argument with the Polizei, who noticed an accidental wrong-side-of-the-road moment somewhere outside Essen. They were thoroughly nice chaps, though, and pointed the old girl in the right direction. Then, they perpetually asked me to rev the car, after which they all laughed like mentals. Germans rock.

R0017575.jpg

More when I get pics :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom