My W124 Works experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLP 92

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
It is great regret that i have been forced to put this post up regarding some sub-standard work carried by Ian B Walker of W124 Works on my SEC.

My water pump pulley had failed resulting in the viscous coupling fan shooting through the radiator, resulting in me requiring a new water pump, radiator, fan shroud, coupling and fan. After reading the reviews of Ian on this forum and meeting him in person decided to let him carry out the repairs on my vehicle when he was visiting his brother in reading.

The initial repair of the vehicle was carried out on the 27th January this year.

Ian initally quoted the job as being "simple" and should be a "couple of hours" work. Needless to say i was happy at this point as my car was non mobile due to the radiator having a hole in it.

What bwas initially quoted a "couple of hours" wotrk turned into a 12 hour nightmare. Firstly i was unimpressed by beiong charged 10 hours labour :eek: . Mercedes quote this job at 4 hours labour, MB Colindale have quoted £382 inc VAT for this work, which i ended up paying Ian significantly more for. I was charged £90 fuel costs, as far as i was initially tiold, Ian would be coming from his brother in Reading, not Preston.

So why does it take Ian 12 hours to do 4 hour job?? Well here's why:

1. Ian removed crankshaft pulley with great difficulty to gain more access to the water pump. (took 4 hours ttake pulley off)
2. Used an angle grinder to try and cut off the original pump - gave up after an hour
3. Failed to realise that there is an adjustment bolt at the back of the power steering pump to tighten/loosen the belt. Spent over an hour blaming my new short belts, couldnt compare to the old ones as he cut them off. Finally his apprentice pointed out the bolt at the back, that after my dad went to Halfords to buy a new belt, which was the same size.
4. Spent an hour arguing the fact with dad and myself that if he removed the thermostat my car would overheat and blow the head gasket :crazy:
5. Ian replaced the rocker cover gaskets FOC (just scroll down and see the relevance)

Now from the above points you can all see i'm unimpressed already. But it got alot worse after he left.

Day 1.
· The following day (28th January) the car broke down on the way to work. The wiring loom had been routed over the manifold when the rocker cover gasket was changed and was not correctly routed after the repair. The vehicle had to be recovered back to my residence as the car went into limp mode due to the wring loom shorting out after the heat form the manifold had melted the insulation of the loom.

· The radiator was leaking water from the fins where there appears to be a spanner indent. (probably from tightening the crank pulley)

Day 4-the car had been patched up by Talbir to be in some sort of running state.

· The engine oil light came on. The rocker cover gaskets that were fitted were pinched on both sides in the corner resulting into a large quantity of oil leaking from them.

· The crankshaft pulley managed to work itself loose and began hitting the viscous coupling fan, resulting in another breakdown and again another recovery back to my residence.

A phonecall to Ian was made at every one of the mentioned points, and to be frank i was upset by the lack of his urgency to resolve these issues which blatantly due his poor workmanship.

It took him over a month to come back to me and resolve the issues (Sunday 9th March).

The following was repaired by Ian on the 9th March:

· Radiator was replaced.

· Crank pulley was tightened and i was assured that it would NOT work itself loose again.

The vehicle was loaned forum member Simal (aka$h) who needed the car to attend a friend’s wedding in Hastings. He subsequently broke down as the crank pulley yet again worked itself loose. AA were called and confirmed the pulley is loose and towed the vehicle to be left outside a friend’s residence.

Simal notified Ian staright away of the problem as he was aware of the past history. He notifiied Ian about the problem and need to know about the drivability of the vehicle. Ian confirmed the vehicle was unroadworthy and shouldn't be moved. He tried calling again but his phone was switched off conveniently for the rest of the day.

My SEC sat roadside for a few days while Ian thopught about what he was going to do. He promised a phonecall back the next day which never materialised. As far as i was concerned i did not want anyone from W124 Works to work on my vehicle again, as i feel i had given Ian adequate time to rectify the mistakes, and the fact he would not return my calls was the final straw.

Finally we came to a mutual agreement that Olly from PCS would rectify the vehicle. the following issues needed to be rectified:

· The ASR warning light is illuminated and subsequently the traction control/cruise controls are non functional.

· The crankshaft pulley needs to be adjusted/replaced/repaired, and the water pump bearing had gone again after the coupling fan hit the crank pulley.

Olly very kindly repaired the vehicle in afraction of time it took Ian. Ian had agreed to pay Olly directly saving me the headache of recovering costs.

Olly fixed all my issues exceopt the ASR, which was diagnosed as most likely the control unit due to the fire damage on the loom. Ian refused top replace this as its a £2000 part, and promised to source me another unit.

Many of you are wondering why i decided to post all this now. I still have the ASR issue, which Ian has kindly decided to sweep under the carpet. So much so when we met at Olly's GTG today he didn't make any eye contact and scarpered off very quickly when i arrived. Not the actions of a widely respected member of this forum that has been praised on so many occasions.

My reasons for writing this post is not to offend Ian, but mereley as a my personal views of my experience. Any garage can be praised on many occasions when things go right. Any mechanic can mistakes, its the way you correct them that counts. At every point during this experience i had to chase Ian in trying to resolve these issues.

My vehicle has still not been restored to the condition that it was prior to being worked on by Ian.

As everyone on this forum knows, i spend alot of my time restoring cars. My cars are labour of love, many people saw my SEC and my old V12 SL R129 at Olly's today, and it was to my horror what had happened to my SEC. Ian clearly showed affection/respect towards the vehicle when he worked on it, frequently dropping spanners on the bumper chrome, and managed to forget to use wing protectors.

Ian if you read this, it would be nice to see an active step from you to resolving this issue.

Last edited:
It is great regret that i have been forced to put this post up regarding some sub-standard work carried by Ian B Walker of W124 Works on my SEC.

My water pump pulley had failed resulting in the viscous coupling fan shooting through the radiator, resulting in me requiring a new water pump, radiator, fan shroud, coupling and fan. After reading the reviews of Ian on this forum and meeting him in person decided to let him carry out the repairs on my vehicle when he was visiting his brother in reading.

The initial repair of the vehicle was carried out on the 27th January this year.

Ian initally quoted the job as being "simple" and should be a "couple of hours" work. Needless to say i was happy at this point as my car was non mobile due to the radiator having a hole in it.

What bwas initially quoted a "couple of hours" wotrk turned into a 12 hour nightmare. Firstly i was unimpressed by beiong charged 10 hours labour :eek: . Mercedes quote this job at 4 hours labour, MB Colindale have quoted £382 inc VAT for this work, which i ended up paying Ian significantly more for. I was charged £90 fuel costs, as far as i was initially tiold, Ian would be coming from his brother in Reading, not Preston.

So why does it take Ian 12 hours to do 4 hour job?? Well here's why:

1. Ian removed crankshaft pulley with great difficulty to gain more access to the water pump. (took 4 hours ttake pulley off)
2. Used an angle grinder to try and cut off the original pump - gave up after an hour
3. Failed to realise that there is an adjustment bolt at the back of the power steering pump to tighten/loosen the belt. Spent over an hour blaming my new short belts, couldnt compare to the old ones as he cut them off. Finally his apprentice pointed out the bolt at the back, that after my dad went to Halfords to buy a new belt, which was the same size.
4. Spent an hour arguing the fact with dad and myself that if he removed the thermostat my car would overheat and blow the head gasket :crazy:
5. Ian replaced the rocker cover gaskets FOC (just scroll down and see the relevance)

Now from the above points you can all see i'm unimpressed already. But it got alot worse after he left.

Day 1.
· The following day (28th January) the car broke down on the way to work. The wiring loom had been routed over the manifold when the rocker cover gasket was changed and was not correctly routed after the repair. The vehicle had to be recovered back to my residence as the car went into limp mode due to the wring loom shorting out after the heat form the manifold had melted the insulation of the loom.

· The radiator was leaking water from the fins where there appears to be a spanner indent. (probably from tightening the crank pulley)

Day 4-the car had been patched up by Talbir to be in some sort of running state.

· The engine oil light came on. The rocker cover gaskets that were fitted were pinched on both sides in the corner resulting into a large quantity of oil leaking from them.

· The crankshaft pulley managed to work itself loose and began hitting the viscous coupling fan, resulting in another breakdown and again another recovery back to my residence.

A phonecall to Ian was made at every one of the mentioned points, and to be frank i was upset by the lack of his urgency to resolve these issues which blatantly due his poor workmanship.

It took him over a month to come back to me and resolve the issues (Sunday 9th March).

The following was repaired by Ian on the 9th March:

· Radiator was replaced.

· Crank pulley was tightened and i was assured that it would NOT work itself loose again.

The vehicle was loaned forum member Simal (aka$h) who needed the car to attend a friend’s wedding in Hastings. He subsequently broke down as the crank pulley yet again worked itself loose. AA were called and confirmed the pulley is loose and towed the vehicle to be left outside a friend’s residence.

Simal notified Ian staright away of the problem as he was aware of the past history. He notifiied Ian about the problem and need to know about the drivability of the vehicle. Ian confirmed the vehicle was unroadworthy and shouldn't be moved. He tried calling again but his phone was switched off conveniently for the rest of the day.

My SEC sat roadside for a few days while Ian thopught about what he was going to do. He promised a phonecall back the next day which never materialised. As far as i was concerned i did not want anyone from W124 Works to work on my vehicle again, as i feel i had given Ian adequate time to rectify the mistakes, and the fact he would not return my calls was the final straw.

Finally we came to a mutual agreement that Olly from PCS would rectify the vehicle. the following issues needed to be rectified:

· The ASR warning light is illuminated and subsequently the traction control/cruise controls are non functional.

· The crankshaft pulley needs to be adjusted/replaced/repaired, and the water pump bearing had gone again after the coupling fan hit the crank pulley.

Olly very kindly repaired the vehicle in afraction of time it took Ian. Ian had agreed to pay Olly directly saving me the headache of recovering costs.

Olly fixed all my issues exceopt the ASR, which was diagnosed as most likely the control unit due to the fire damage on the loom. Ian refused top replace this as its a £2000 part, and promised to source me another unit.

Many of you are wondering why i decided to post all this now. I still have the ASR issue, which Ian has kindly decided to sweep under the carpet. So much so when we met at Olly's GTG today he didn't make any eye contact and scarpered off very quickly when i arrived. Not the actions of a widely respected member of this forum that has been praised on so many occasions.

My reasons for writing this post is not to offend Ian, but mereley as a my personal views of my experience. Any garage can be praised on many occasions when things go right. Any mechanic can mistakes, its the way you correct them that counts. At every point during this experience i had to chase Ian in trying to resolve these issues.

My vehicle has still not been restored to the condition that it was prior to being worked on by Ian.

As everyone on this forum knows, i spend alot of my time restoring cars. My cars are labour of love, many people saw my SEC and my old V12 SL R129 at Olly's today, and it was to my horror what had happened to my SEC. Ian clearly showed affection/respect towards the vehicle when he worked on it, frequently dropping spanners on the bumper chrome, and managed to forget to use wing protectors.

Ian if you read this, it would be nice to see an active step from you to resolving this issue.
Wow !! this is gonna be a good thread .... :D ....I believe Ian is a well respected guy.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago regarding an independant Mercedes dealer in Maghull, Liverpool..... I posted the thread looking for support....( as ya do ) and the members on the forum pointed out that because they had never had a problem with the garage then what happened to me was a genuine mistake of the garage...very frustrating, especialy as the garage blatantly tried to charge me silly money for jobs that were dubious to say the least...( plant the seed of doubt and you will coin it in if the customer is niave enough )..........

.... as you get older and slightly more wiser :rolleyes: you realise not many people will stand up and be counted..so good on ya for bringing your concerns to the forum.( as for support though I think you will be disappointed ). I dont know Ian personaly, and I dont know the quality of his work, so genuinely it would be unfair of me to comment............. In his favour though, he is always helpful and polite on the forum........:)

It would be nice to see the thread dissapear quickly and all problems resolved asap.

Simon

Wow !! this is gonna be a good thread .... :D ....I believe Ian is a well respected guy.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago regarding an independant Mercedes dealer in Maghull, Liverpool..... I posted the thread looking for support....( as ya do ) and the members on the forum pointed out that because they had never had a problem with the garage then what happened to me was a genuine mistake of the garage...very frustrating, especialy as the garage blatantly tried to charge me silly money for jobs that were
dubious to say the least...( plant the seed of doubt and you will coin it in if the customer is niave enough )..........

.... as you get older and slightly more wiser :rolleyes: you realise not many people will stand up and be counted..so good on ya for bringing your concerns to the forum.( as for support though I think you will be disappointed ). I dont know Ian personaly, and I dont know the quality of his work, so genuinely it would be unfair of me to comment............. In his favour though, he is always helpful and polite on the forum........:)

Thanks for your comments.

This thread is not for support, its purely to give other forum members an insight in my events. I know Ian has alot of people that respect his mechanically skills here, but to be honest for service work he maybe fine, on a more complicated job he was clearly out of his depth.

I know of other people on this forum that have had problems with W124 Works previously, but due to the overall support of W124 Works on this forum they have kept quiet.

The fact of the matter is, my experience was not a 1 off. Ian came down to rectify his work, guarenteed the car wss fine which subsequently broke down the next day, again.

It would be nice to see the thread dissapear quickly and all problems resolved asap.

Simon

That would be nice, it has been nearly 4 months now.

The only thing i've seen dissappear today is Ian :D

This could turn out to be a slanging thread which I will take no part of. Nav, you have my number. Please call me tomorrow.

This could turn out to be a slanging thread which I will take no part of. Nav, you have my number. Please call me tomorrow.

This is not a slanging thread, its factual. You are more than welcome to put up your versions of events here.

You also have my number, you know the issues my vehicle still has, but still no resolution.

I walked up toward you today at the GTG to say hello, you simply walked off in the other direction.

I will not be chasing you anymore to resolve these issues, its your duty to rectify your mistakes. Not asking for much, am i?

....I know of other people on this forum that have had problems with W124 Works previously....

The fact of the matter is, my experience was not a 1 off....

Out of genuine curiosity, who else do you mean? I only know of one other person who has had a problem with 124 Works.

Out of genuine curiosity, who else do you mean? I only know of one other person who has had a problem with 124 Works.

If they wanted everyone to know they would put a post up. Not my position to say, but if they read this thread they put a reply.

I don't know either of the parties involved here other than the on forum persona's and both of you seem to be highly respected people so i sure hope this does get sorted ASAP.

All i will say is it's not realistic to expect that the odd accident will not happen BUT it most certainly is realistic to expect that the person doing the work has enough of an understanding to attempt it and any accident's will be immediately taken care of.

It should be a matter of personal pride, a month or so ago i was distracted while cutting away a wire tie, slipped and managed to slice part way into a wiring bundle, because the wires where so small it took me ages to repair them properly using the MB approved method and both the labour and part's cost's came out of my wages but i feel good knowing that i corrected my mistake and the car was returned to the customer with a correctly repaired loom and a fully functional electrical system.

I don't know either of the parties involved here other than the on forum persona's and both of you seem to be highly respected people so i sure hope this does get sorted ASAP.

All i will say is it's not realistic to expect that the odd accident will not happen BUT it most certainly is realistic to expect that the person doing the work has enough of an understanding to attempt it and any accident's will be immediately taken care of.

It should be a matter of personal pride, a month or so ago i was distracted while cutting away a wire tie, slipped and managed to slice part way into a wiring bundle, because the wires where so small it took me ages to repair them properly using the MB approved method and both the labour and part's cost's came out of my wages but i feel good knowing that i corrected my mistake and the car was returned to the customer with a correctly repaired loom and a fully functional electrical system.

Completely agree. Accidents happen, its a fact of life.

I used George Fraser for many years, he worked on numerous vehicles over the years and made mistakes as we all do. The only difference with George was he admitted when he was wrong, never afraid to say sorry and rectified all mistakes promptly. To date you will not hear me say a bad thing about him, because at least he tries.

I to date have not even had an apology, a simple sorry, nothing at all from Ian.

All i want is my car fixed.

Used an angle grinder to try and cut off the original pump - gave up after an hour

This is the bit that really gets me, why on earth did you let anyone with a angle grinder anywehre near the SEC! :eek:

To be clear, my post is my personal comment and not my view from a formal moderation perspective.

It looks like Nav has taken a lot of time before posting this with events dating back to January. Given the support for Ian here, I think credit needs to be given to Nav for posting this as he clearly felt it needed to be shared.

Some relevant and direct experience I have from another forum:

Another forum I frequent has a heavy following of a particular specialist garage. I mean recommendation after recommendation, people not just travelling the length of the country to visit them, some set off from Scotland too. Of course every other word on the forum is this companies name as the praise threads come after every forum member goes there. I went there (now numerous times – and continue to). They are ace. I even wrote a praise thread! Only one in maybe 5 visits so far have left me a little disappointed. Now I know of someone else who used them. Spent a lot of money with these guys. They made a bit of a bad call on something and left the guy with a car that never ran quite right (it was a tuning/modification job so not as an exact science as repairs/maintenance I suppose). This was a straight forward guy that didn't get the wonder service everyone else seemed to get. He was a long term customer I think, he knew why he went there from his own experience not just everyone else’s.

The trouble was, they didn't deliver, they were at fault but I know he was too scared to post on the said forum because of the massive following of happy customers. He never did post. The car got sold. He returned there with the new car as he knew in essence these guys were good. But that problem shouldn't have gone unresolved and if it did, I would have preferred to read about it on the forum to balance the views rather than have it like it never occurred.

All I am saying is forums and groups are powerful and it is not unknown for that power to prevent people sharing experiences that are not what the group wants to read.

It is always daunting to write about a member that is so well respected on a forum, but i feel that this should be done, it gives others the chance to make a informed decision.

Sometimes alot more things come out when a initial stand has been taken, and may not be a one off incident?

No offence intended to anyone just my opinion.

Regards,

I think having respect for somebody else's property when you work on it is very important. You should treat it better than you own, as it is in your responsibility.

I for one over my time have used several garages. I was very impressed with the way my vehicle was handled at Ollie's yesterday. Those guys even wiped down the alloys after working on the car and even torqued the wheelnuts. Something you don't usually see.

Nav, hope this is all resolved for you in a sensible way as it is quite obvious that you have spent a great deal of time, effort and money in putting together a car to a very high standard.

I am very grateful to Nav for bringing this up - I thought I was the only one. I will not go into full details, but on the strength of all the recommendations here, I took my car 200 miles to 124 works for a B service and new front discs. I ended up without the car for nearly a month, a 4-figure bill, a constantly changing story about what had occurred, a lot of remedial work which I've had to do myself, and a car that still doesn't run as well as it did before.
I have felt unable to post about this due to the weight of support on the forum for 124 works.
I feel that if satisfied customers are permitted to sing the praises of a particular garage, and to promote it's services openly, then it's important to get a balanced view, in order to help members make an informed opinion about who they should entrust their car to.

Nav as you know i was horrified when I first heard what was going on.

I respect Ian a lot, he has worked on my car and so to date I cannot get my head around his reaction to the situation.

I would like to see this sorted as I know if my SEC was treated like this I would be a LOT more agitated than Nav is / has been.

This is the sort of thing that puts members off keeping their wonderful cars (you know who im referring to) and Nav has spent a lot of time/money/sweat on this car and I hope that he is not forced to get rid of what is probably one of the top SEC's in europe.

I am first to say that garages make mistakes.,.. Anyone that says they have 100% satisfaction rate is just plain lying.. My mechanics arent always right and sometimes get it wrong.. Its the business...
As you say its how its dealth with that matters.

It should never have come to Nav having to post this so I hope this is sorted swiftly and this thread is short.

Ian you are well respected and although I havent heard your side, I would urge you to do whatever it takes to get this sorted.. customer is always right... whether he is or not doesnt matter!

Hope I dont upset anyone!

Last edited:
I think that regardless of the car make / model, when things go wrong ( and they do occasionally go wrong) the issue has to be dealt with in a manner that suits both parties where there are no bad feelings and everyone is satisfied.

That is the way you retain customers, in any business out there. Bad news always travels faster than good news.

Last edited:
Hello

I've never meet you two guys but from what I have read Ian does seem to be the main man for fixing Mercs and Nav for modding them !!

I also agree accidents happen, it appears that how this was recified has been dealt with poorly. What's the cost of a phone call just to discuss matters? Its the small things that sometimes get forgotten.

It shouldn't be up to Nav to chase to get work done? as above 'customer is always right..'

Ian if I were you Get on the phone and do what you can to resolve this. Reputation takes a long time to build up but can be knocked down much quicker. This issue is already I guess creating a dark cloud over your garage and that's not what any of us want.

We also only have one side of the story and while I don't dispute this Ian could do with putting his case forward as silence seems even worse.

At the end of the day its is 'just' a car (sorry Nav) that needs fixing so not life or death so surely this can be sorted to both parties satisfaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom