My W124's rusty and knackered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
Well, after fixing my leaking diesel pump (a replacement gasket set worked a treat, thanks to Dieselman for that), what do I find now?

Only that the box sections, where the rear anti roll bars attach, are rotted away. They looked perfectly fine as there was a nice coating of underseal over it but in trying to replace an arm, the rust was found.

I'm guessing there's no bolt in replacement part that I can get to fix this, is there? So, it looks like its the end of the road for this one.

Looks like I proved the old adage "there's nothing so expensive as a cheap Mercedes" and that I disproved the one about W124's being built like tanks :(

Nooooooooo they can be repaired. If you know a decent welder who has the facilities to fabricate a new section then its possibe to repair. Dont let a w124 die, Howard would cry :devil:

I don't know anyone who could tackle something like this. If you pull down on the anti roll bar, it comes away from the box section its attached to, taking a rusty patch with it and leaving a hole you could put your hand in. And this is both sides.

I don't even know where the rust has come from, since the underseal looked fine. It must've rotted through from inside.

I'd happily get a new bit made up if the cost were reasonable but trouble is there is probably even more rust above that, where I can't see it.

I was looking forward to getting it all sorted out and had bought a vast pile of bits for it but I think its terminal.

Why risk you life in a car that rotten? Time to move on.

This W124 is the same year as yours....the big difference is no road salt !

P4090034.jpg

P4090035.jpg

adam

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom