My W204 C63 v W205 C63 - some thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is very true. I have the factory performance suspension, Quaife ATB Diff and Pilot Sport 4S tyres on my 507 Coupe and the fact my car can corner rather well has surprised a few people on occasion :cool:

I have been in a 205 C63S and they are fantastic machines that have improved over the 204 series in most respects, and can have c100 horses added very easily. However, the standard 205 cars are not the vast improvement they are believed to be over 204 cars with appropriate modifications, or factory options fitted. I will be moving on from C63 ownership in the Spring/Summer of this year and heading into a GT3. This change of direction will give me a new and more involving driving experience that I am looking forward to, whilst still remaining analog with a high revving NA engine. I feel if I was to go to a 205 C63S I would feel it to be a significant improvement on the inside but not have the analog driving experience that I love so much in my 204.

Each to their own ;)

I agree that my 204 has an "analogue" style experience that my incoming 205 will lack. I wonder if it would have been possible to make a 205 as "analogue" as a 204 given all the constraints of extra electronics (particularly the steering) and so on. You can kind of see this in the AMG-GT series, which has been designed to be a more raw feeling sports car but for me shows that extra noise and flatter cornering do not make an analogue experience.

It's a transition that has been happening for years across many sporting cars, and of course there is endless debate about where it all started. E36 was less analogue than E30; 991 less analogue than 997; 360 less analogue than 355; 488 less analogue than 430; 993 less analogue than 964, etc.

I agree that my 204 has an "analogue" style experience that my incoming 205 will lack. I wonder if it would have been possible to make a 205 as "analogue" as a 204 given all the constraints of extra electronics (particularly the steering) and so on. You can kind of see this in the AMG-GT series, which has been designed to be a more raw feeling sports car but for me shows that extra noise and flatter cornering do not make an analogue experience.

It's a transition that has been happening for years across many sporting cars, and of course there is endless debate about where it all started. E36 was less analogue than E30; 991 less analogue than 997; 360 less analogue than 355; 488 less analogue than 430; 993 less analogue than 964, etc.
We call it analogue and digital now, but forever and a day we have missed the simpler times which went before - it’s an intrinsic part of both technological change and human behaviour.

The 204 C63 gearbox isn't my idea of analogue.
Mine neither. I remember it being pretty horrible in all modes apart from S+ which was ok.
I absolutely loved my 204 at the time but, as with many things, it’s only when you try something better and newer that you realise how quickly things improve and move on.
Saying the 204 is the bee’s knees now, in 2021, is like fawning over Betamax. It’s just nostalgia.
I’m gonna give this 4 pot C63 a go when it comes out. I’ll bet it’ll be ace.

I was more pointing it out to the others who aren't aware of the latest version because long term a V8 can be just £155.

The whole thing is a joke and has been for many years. Each government makes up its own rules and then leaves all the old ones in place, a right dogs dinner. As much as I hate paying £600 a year it's not high enough to put me off.
Couldn't agree more. The road fund licence has been messed about year after year.
I still don't understand why road tax isn't abolished and the duty put onto fuel. The more you use the roads, the more you pay.
It's hard to be paying £600pa if the car is just a weekend toy.
The PAYG system will be fairer when it's introduced, but then those who travel most will be up in arms.

The 204 C63 gearbox isn't my idea of analogue.

I agree. Nor is the power steering, electronic traction and skid control, ABS, CANBUS wiring, fly by wire throttle, Satnav, manual transmission mode that changes down for you and refuses to change down if thinks the revs will be too high. It's all relative, I guess, and for want of a better word it feels more analogue.

One poster above put it well, there is more feel and sensation through the chassis in the 204, and it's done perfectly. That's what I will miss. If you're after a weekend fun car, it's what people will look for, but my needs are different and I have other cars for that role.

But one person's analogue is another person's digital. I imagine the 205 will feel much more analogue than the 206 C63.

I agree. Nor is the power steering, electronic traction and skid control, ABS, CANBUS wiring, fly by wire throttle, Satnav, manual transmission mode that changes down for you and refuses to change down if thinks the revs will be too high. It's all relative, I guess, and for want of a better word it feels more analogue.

One poster above put it well, there is more feel and sensation through the chassis in the 204, and it's done perfectly. That's what I will miss. If you're after a weekend fun car, it's what people will look for, but my needs are different and I have other cars for that role.

But one person's analogue is another person's digital. I imagine the 205 will feel much more analogue than the 206 C63.
Agree with all this, without knowing the C63 well.

This was exactly my point:
But one person's analogue is another person's digital.

For me analogue means manual gearbox, no electric steering, fly by wire, etc, etc. I enjoy driving truly analogue cars, but there are compromises at both ends of the spectrum.

Analogue.

52459795-A80-B-45-B2-B1-C1-2-CE6-DF0-FD473.jpg

That's if it makes it out of the drive before breaking down 😀

You want to try the ATOM now that's Analogue

Attachments

• IMG-20190605-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20190605-WA0005.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 8
Nice write up.

I was initially in the market for a W204 estate but I’ve switched to the W205 estate, for most of the reasons you’ve highlighted.

I think the W204 would still be my choice for a garage queen, but this will be my daily and the overall package of the W205 is better for my needs.

Coming form a 340i estate I’m looking forward to making the switch from 6 to 8 cylinders.
Hi Jams, hope you don’t mind me reviving this one but your post sounds like you were in a similar situation to me as I am currently in the market for a C63 Wagon coming from a 340i Touring as well.

How did you find the switch ?

Well i have both cars still as i cant decide which to sell. I bought a c63 w204 black coupe first and i had looked at many but given up. Then a jap import came up and i thought i would take a trip to see it. Job done it was so mint its untrue. 80k miles but i recon its 60k miles as its almost like new. So deal done and my daughter and i collected it. Sat nav wont work and radio is basic as its an import from Japan. Its a 2013 car and i always wanted one. Bad bit is its not got enough headroom that i would like being tall but i can live with it. It is mint and japanese people have respect . Its almost like new and super clean underneath etc etc . It was built in germany and shipped to Japan. Landed back here in late 2022 so its not seen our crap weather. I decided i did not want to use it over winter 2022 so i did everything it could ever want for the near future. Discs and pads all round . New michelin tyres all round. Engine service with oil and plugs. Gearbox service too just so i know its all mint as im no good at reading its Japanese service history. Love it to bits and i think its so special
Then a spanner in the works
My friend had a w205 c63 saloon in grey. 2019 69 reg . Some fence panels blew over the wing and bonnet. It had a new wing and the rest was painted . They did a rubbish job but a 1 owner car with 28000 miles had to be bought. Ive not even bothered with having the paint done proper as it looks ok and i wanted to drive the new toy with its 9 speed box and digital dash. So nice inside with too many gadgets and buttons etc etc . What a car. Its even got an electric lsd as standard should you ever need it. Ive done 3500 miles in it and its good on fuel. Just done tyres and break pads. Not needed yet but over the Xmas break it was the best time
My honest views
The w204 coupe seems a way better put together car. Proper put together and more solid if you get what i mean. Performance goes to the w205 but only very very slightly. The w205 is a nicer place to be in and comfy on long trips. The w204 you just melt in the seats and it seems so comfy for sub 300 mile trips and it is. Any more and take the w205
Sound
The w204 is proper with proper exhausts and no fake tail pipes so it wins hands down
Gearbox
The w204 is silk smooth and its engine capacity pulls the gears. V 7 speed 205 i think its a faster car. V my 9 speed its close but the 9 speed makes the w205 a faster car but not by much and also it has an LSD to help it so im not sure 100%
Looks goes to the w204 coupe
Interior
Apart from the seats the w205 wins in its interior but the w204 also wins as its more solidly built and proper
Handling
Ive driven the w204 about 1000 miles on its new tyres and i love its handling. It does it and is a smoother ride than the w205 over bumpy roads and way less twitchy if you know what i mean. The w205 has standard wheels but its a firm ride. I dont think i would change to 20 inch wheels for sure on our roads
Which would i keep as im in no rush to sell either. I love both but one must go this year. There is no clear winner for me. Some have chosen their w205 as they sold their w204 so they have to love it. I would be happy to keep my w204 to be honest. i can lower seat a bit and live with it. Fuel a bit worse but who cares both are not diesels but do well for the power they produce. In fact its amazing how well they do. One final fact the w204 coupe is quite a bit better on fuel on motorway runs at 70 ish. Ive done it many times but i wont put up figures but its better every time. Normal driving its 20s at very best
2019 69 plate grey saloon for 33k or the black coupe for 18500 see which goes first and i will manage with the one left lol
Ive done a project with an old mercedes 190e. Fitted a mercedes e63 5.5 bi turbo so thats my fun car. Its nearly done but makes the c63 cars seem not so fast. The 190 is an animal and its mental but unless i was offered stupid money its a keeper. You cant put a price on 5 years hard work but its special. Not mint but pretty damn tidy. Still lots to do but it runs and drives

Well i have both cars still as i cant decide which to sell. I bought a c63 w204 black coupe first and i had looked at many but given up. Then a jap import came up and i thought i would take a trip to see it. Job done it was so mint its untrue. 80k miles but i recon its 60k miles as its almost like new. So deal done and my daughter and i collected it. Sat nav wont work and radio is basic as its an import from Japan. Its a 2013 car and i always wanted one. Bad bit is its not got enough headroom that i would like being tall but i can live with it. It is mint and japanese people have respect . Its almost like new and super clean underneath etc etc . It was built in germany and shipped to Japan. Landed back here in late 2022 so its not seen our crap weather. I decided i did not want to use it over winter 2022 so i did everything it could ever want for the near future. Discs and pads all round . New michelin tyres all round. Engine service with oil and plugs. Gearbox service too just so i know its all mint as im no good at reading its Japanese service history. Love it to bits and i think its so special
My friend had a w205 c63 saloon in grey. 2019 69 reg . Some fence panels blew over the wing and bonnet. It had a new wing and the rest was painted . They did a rubbish job but a 1 owner car with 28000 miles had to be bought. Ive not even bothered with having the paint done proper as it looks ok and i wanted to drive the new toy with its 9 speed box and digital dash. So nice inside with too many gadgets and buttons etc etc . What a car. Its even got an electric lsd as standard should you ever need it. Ive done 3500 miles in it and its good on fuel. Just done tyres and break pads. Not needed yet but over the Xmas break it was the best time
My honest views
The w204 coupe seems a way better put together car. Proper put together and more solid if you get what i mean. Performance goes to the w205 but only very very slightly. The w205 is a nicer place to be in and comfy on long trips. The w204 you just melt in the seats and it seems so comfy for sub 300 mile trips and it is. Any more and take the w205
Sound
The w204 is proper with proper exhausts and no fake tail pipes so it wins hands down
Gearbox
The w204 is silk smooth and its engine capacity pulls the gears. V 7 speed 205 i think its a faster car. V my 9 speed its close but the 9 speed makes the w205 a faster car but not by much and also it has an LSD to help it so im not sure 100%
Interior
Apart from the seats the w205 wins in its interior but the w204 also wins as its more solidly built and proper
Handling
Ive driven the w204 about 1000 miles on its new tyres and i love its handling. It does it and is a smoother ride than the w205 over bumpy roads and way less twitchy if you know what i mean. The w205 has standard wheels but its a firm ride. I dont think i would change to 20 inch wheels for sure on our roads
Which would i keep as im in no rush to sell either. I love both but one must go this year. There is no clear winner for me. Some have chosen their w205 as they sold their w204 so they have to love it. I would be happy to keep my w204 to be honest. i can lower seat a bit and live with it. Fuel a bit worse but who cares both are not diesels but do well for the power they produce. In fact its amazing how well they do. One final fact the w204 coupe is quite a bit better on fuel on motorway runs at 70 ish. Ive done it many times but i wont put up figures but its better every time. Normal driving its 20s at very best
2019 69 plate grey saloon for 33k or the black coupe for 18500 see which goes first and i will manage with the one left lol
Ive done a project with an old mercedes 190e. Fitted a mercedes e63 5.5 bi turbo so thats my fun car. Its nearly done but makes the c63 cars seem not so fast. The 190 is an animal and its mental but unless i was offered stupid money its a keeper. You cant put a price on 5 years hard work but its special. Not mint but pretty damn tidy. Still lots to do but it runs and drives
Superb honset review, so many sell their 204 and rave how much better the 205 is, good to read a honest review from a current owner of both.

My honest views
Sound
Gearbox
Interior
Handling
What a great write up!
I’d be interested in the w204 if you’re thinking of parting ways? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom