My W205 - faults and gearbox advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazB

Car
2016 C250 Sport Premium - Polar White
OK my W205 is coming up 9 months old has developed a couple of small faults and one that I am not sure is a fault or something you just have to live with an auto box.

1. Door LED blown - worthy of a trip to the dealer under warranty I guess?
2. Hit and miss with the 'touch to open/lock' drivers handle for keyless entry.

Another question on the keyless feature - is there an autolock setting where you can walk away from the car and it locks on it's own? (my Mrs's Captur has this feature so I find it hard to believe my Merc doesn't - not that I can find any such setting!)

The big one though is the sometimes erratic gear shifting in comfort mode. Example this morning doing around 70mph before exiting junction I took foot off accelerator and it dropped from 7th to 4th. Then had to manually up the shift.

Happens quite a lot this, 30mph and it can sit in 5th or even 6th sometimes. 4th at 20mph. The diesel unit is loud enough without it sounding like its constantly in the wrong gear.

It's never felt great at gear shift, and wondered if this is just something you get used to going from a manual to auto.

Sports mode is the best for gear but wish I could default to this rather than revert to comfort mode. Even in sport though I feel it can get stuck in gear or get confused and takes a lot of manual adjustment.

Any thoughts/comments would really be appreciated.

I've got a w205 coupe and I've got similar problems, my car is twelve month old in March,my key less entry works perfect but locking it can be hit and miss, I usually revert to pressing the button on the key fob. I don't think it can be set to auto lock when you walk away.
My gearbox sometimes locks itself into a gear like yours and sometimes when overtaking changes down one gear ,thinks about it then changes down again and hits the red limiter.
My car is booked in for a service in a few weeks time and the dealer said he would check it,
So I can't give any answers but you're not on your own.

Thanks for the response much appreciated. I've just got it booked in at my local dealer for a week on Monday. I could live with the small glitches as they inconvenience of taking it down is a bigger issue than sorting a bulb but the gear box is more of concern and just doesn't feel right. I'll let you know how I get on!

I have the same car. Have to say the keyless has been faultless. No problems. I just have to make sure I don't have the key on me when washing it or the doors keep locking and unlocking. It auto locks only if you unlock it without opening a door. You can remotely check the doors and lock/unlock them using the MercedesMe app. The gearbox isn't right. Mine is very smooth in comfort mode and I've not had the problems you describe. Defo a trip to the dealers for warranty work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My W205 is just over 2 years old and I have not experienced the gearbox issues you mention. The majority of the time I just leave it in Comfort mode. There were similar reported issues with the W204 7G gearbox and these were resolved via software updates. I'm sure one of the forum members will have more detailed information on it.

The box on my S205 C250 (Dec 2014) is pretty smooth. The only thing I've noticed is the tendency to hang on to gears when accelerating up an incline. On a relatively flat road, it would quickly reach 4th (or 5th, depending on the speed) however, up an incline, unless you accelerate hard, it tends to hang onto 2nd. I usually just use the paddles to help it along.

My S204 (5g box) used to do similar but not as noticable (a more sluggish change anyway, in Comfort mode).

Thanks for the replies from everyone. It certainly doesn't sound like my gearbox is behaving as it should do, so hopefully it's a simple fix with a software update or similar.

As for the auto lock feature being non-existent on Merc, that amazes me when the wife's 63 plate Renault Captur has this very feature and so do many other lower marquee cars.

what happens with your wife's car on auto lock when you have kids, dog or passenger still in the vehicle?

The most annoying aspect of my car is the comand sat nav instructions.

'Take the next left' (or right) is NOT the next turning,
but a turning ahead on the route, so you are forced to look at the map to ascertain which next turning. This is compounded by the fact it doesn't always announce the street name you should be turning into, so it's guesswork.

On a roundabout if you need the 3 o'clock junction, most other sat navs say 'take the 3rd exit' this one says 'prepare to turn left'
(I kinda get it, as you turn left into the exit, but that isn't terribly useful)

Sorry t's not a fault but a designed feature
:D

1. Door LED blown - worthy of a trip to the dealer under warranty I guess?
A guy in work had one of his door led's go out, the dealer replaced all 4 under warranty, no problem

My W205 has covered 17.5k miles and is 2 years old. No gearbox problems and the keyless all works ok. I like the foot sensor for the boot lid opening, very useful.

Thanks for the replies from everyone. It certainly doesn't sound like my gearbox is behaving as it should do, so hopefully it's a simple fix with a software update or similar.

As for the auto lock feature being non-existent on Merc, that amazes me when the wife's 63 plate Renault Captur has this very feature and so do many other lower marquee cars.

You could try an auto gearbox reset - very simple so worth a try

Turn ignition on. Do not start
Press accelerator to floor.
Wait at least 10 seconds
Turn ignition off
Release pedal
Wait 2 mins

We have no dog, and wouldn't leave the kids in the car to be honest. It would only auto lock if you had the key with you, in which case you'd want the car to lock. Haven't tried it but I imagine the car would unlock from the inside anyway, apart from where the childlocks are on.

Hi,

I have a 2015 C63s. My drivers door LED on the exterior handle has gone. The gear shifts in comfort mode from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th, I forget which, can be harsh, almost a jolt. Stop start hasn't worked for months. Car is booked in to local dealer to replace handle and software update. Last time I used this dealer they hadn't a clue about AMG's but I am hoping this work shouldn't be to difficult. Depends if they know how to do a software update on an AMG correctly.

The door LEDs are pretty unreliable. I think I read on here that MB are on their third supplier.

Two of mine have gone and were replaced under warranty. Unfortunately they are a slightly different colour (some are more purple than white). Doesn't bother me too much but I can imagine it would really wind up others.

The "prepare to turn left" is very annoying at large roundabouts you're unfamiliar with. When I first got the car I was often in the wrong lane at big roundabouts. Now I'm used to it and zoom out of the map to see which I exit I need.

My S205 is a Dec 2014 build and I haven't had any gearbox issues.

The door LEDs are pretty unreliable. I think I read on here that MB are on their third supplier.

Two of mine have gone and were replaced under warranty. Unfortunately they are a slightly different colour (some are more purple than white). Doesn't bother me too much but I can imagine it would really wind up others.
Thats why the guy in work had all 4 replaced rather than just one, it was MB Chester he went to and them that suggested to replace all 4 for this reason.

Yeah, I didn't realise until one evening after I got it back. I just assumed it would be like for like.

Still in warranty so could get them to sort it on my next dealer visit. Definitely not worth a special journey.

As it happens it's going in next week for acoustic glass and a redesigned door seal to be fitted. Much more of an issue for me than door LEDs a few Kelvins off.

Well my car is in with the dealership today. A quick test drive with the mechanic and he didn't feel the gear box was untoward although I have to admit it seemed fine to be too. I've been given a GLA 220D auto as a courtesy car. Different car I know but the engine and gear box seems far more refined and smooth compared to my c250.

Maybe that's just the difference in model. I'm no expert.

Will see how it drives later after various software updates etc

Well my car is in with the dealership today. A quick test drive with the mechanic and he didn't feel the gear box was untoward although I have to admit it seemed fine to be too. I've been given a GLA 220D auto as a courtesy car. Different car I know but the engine and gear box seems far more refined and smooth compared to my c250.

Maybe that's just the difference in model. I'm no expert.

Will see how it drives later after various software updates etc
Did You find solution?

Did You find solution?
He was last on-line in January 2018, so you may not get an answer. Do you have a similar problem that you need advice on?

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom