My W213 E63 rattles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveenty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S63 Coupe
Under any acceleration after tickover speed really, it has a sort of grinding/rattly noise coming from the rear of the car/tunnel area. As I was passing my local dealer this morning I thought I'd just pop it in on the off chance. No problem, take a seat for a few minutes and we'll get someone to have a look at it. This was a lot better than I was expecting, especially as I didn't buy the car from them.

Anyway, a mechanic appeared, who I recognised as he worked on my old one for me, we went out for a little run around and straight away the car rattled away so he could hear it. The very quick test drive was concluded with me driving it straight into their garage and putting it on a ramp for a quick visual once over.

As soon as it was in the air the problem became obvious, the exhaust seems to be catching on the small alloy X member designed to hold it in place if it snaps. There is less than 5mm clearance so, taking into account the engine rock, it's bound to happen really and the marks are visible where it's been rubbing. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had the issue, but these cars seem to be a bit thin on the ground at the moment. :(

It's now booked in at 08.30 in the morning to get sorted. Whether they have an amended part or not I've no idea, though the mechanic seemed interested in my idea of cutting an opening with a Dremel. It'll work as a stop gap if nothing else, but I daren't do it myself in case it's something else as well.

Good customer service Dave. Glad to hear its being looked at immediately. Can't fault that.

Car now sorted out with a very simple fix.

I took it in this morning, practically cold as the dealership is only 6 miles away from home, and the centre section of the exhaust was actually touching the cross member.

Solution: Remove the four bolts holding the cross member in place. Cut a small groove in the X member for clearance, replace using a couple of washers as shims on the centre bolts for more clearance and job jobbed.
smile.png

Quick test drive after and car is now as it should be, though the *mechanic is expecting several more of them to do as it does seem like a design fault.

* Happy to call him a mechanic as he fixed things using his initiative instead of reverting to a computer or parts bin.

Top man, excellent dealership, copious amounts of coffee and biscuits and no complaints from me. :D

Nice one Dave, may be worth mentioning dealership name on this glorious occasion?

I've no problem with naming and not shaming) the dealer. :)

MB Whitefield (North Manchester) who I've been going to for years now and never had any issues.
They're now owned by LSH Auto and I must admit this worried me at the time of the takeover, but they're still at least as good as they were.

I have to admit i get great treatment at MB teesside, been in a few times and not got one bad thing to say about them or the work they do.

Great service from them. Have you put any pics up of the car yet? I'm still struggling with the forum layout being a slight technophobe

Have you put any pics up of the car yet? I'm still struggling with the forum layout being a slight technophobe

I started a thread HERE when I first got it, though not really added to it as I've been kind of busy and not done much with it. :(

I started a thread HERE when I first got it, though not really added to it as I've been kind of busy and not done much with it. :(

Blimey Dave you're getting lazy. I thought you'd have ripped the badges off the boot lid at least. :fail:

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom