My wheel saga continues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
I ordered a set of 17" alloys fitted with F1 tyres 10 days ago, they were promised last Thursday but did not arrive, I chased them up and was told they were due in another four days time and the boss would ring me when he got back from lunch, he never did. Today the wheels turned up, I jacked the car up removed my first wheel, about to fit the new one when I noticed that the new bolts that had arrived were different sizes, not two different sizes but three ! Another phone call later trying to convince the bloke that I was not a retard and that there was three different lengths and four different head types and he has agreed to send me a new set of bolts so another wait.

I am not meant to have new wheels, I am sure of it.

The latest on my wheel saga, I now have the locking bolts but still do not have the standard bolts, apparently lost in the post. Am I a patient person or what, normally I would of blown my top, must be mellowing in my old age.

Aaaarrrghhhhhhhh...........I really want to swear but do not want to offend, my wheel bolts arrived eventually, removed old wheels, fitted new, looks excellent, took for a test drive, the noise was unbeleivable, returned home, checked for brakes binding etc, check tyre pressures, still noisy, jack car up, start to remove bolts, spin wheel, nice and free, no noise, the wheel bolts are too long to clear the back discs, rubbing on what seems to be the handbrake mechanism, certainly got the brakes hot and smelly, compared the original bolts off my alloys with the new supplied bolts and the differences are:

Pass a bolt through and existing alloy you have a 16mm projection.
Pass a bolt through the new alloy and you have a 21mm projection.

Cannot use original bolts as they are not threade all the way down, so I now need help and guidance on selecting new bolts as I have completely lost faith in the tossers who supplied me. Incidentally the front bolts fit ok as the excess can be lost inside of the hollow area of the disc.

The response from the company that supplied the wheels is:

Hi
We only have that size, we can cut some down to size, or we can send a 5mm spacer.

Dave

Fit a spacer ! are these guys serious, I am very, very annoyed.

I had a similar problem on my 190E, where the wheels have compressed from overtightening and the bolts can touch part of the handbrake assembly through some of the hole.

I just ground the bolts down a mil on my bench grinder and its fine.

Andy W said:
Aaaarrrghhhhhhhh...........I really want to swear but do not want to offend, my wheel bolts arrived eventually, removed old wheels, fitted new, looks excellent, took for a test drive, the noise was unbeleivable, returned home, checked for brakes binding etc, check tyre pressures, still noisy, jack car up, start to remove bolts, spin wheel, nice and free, no noise, the wheel bolts are too long to clear the back discs, rubbing on what seems to be the handbrake mechanism, certainly got the brakes hot and smelly, compared the original bolts off my alloys with the new supplied bolts and the differences are:

Pass a bolt through and existing alloy you have a 16mm projection.
Pass a bolt through the new alloy and you have a 21mm projection.

Cannot use original bolts as they are not threade all the way down, so I now need help and guidance on selecting new bolts as I have completely lost faith in the tossers who supplied me. Incidentally the front bolts fit ok as the excess can be lost inside of the hollow area of the disc.

A mate of mine has just bought some new 19" rims for his C class and he got his from hot hatch corner,fitted first time. :D

Thanks Pluggers, really made me feel good now. The wheels and tyres are fine, just the bleeding bolts, looks like I will have to cut the rear ones down 3 mm. oh well.

Andy, just make sure you cut the correct end of the bolts :D :D :D

Wheels now fitted after grinding the wheel bolts down with my bench grinder, thanks Robby. The car looks fantastic now and if I get the bodywork rust repaired under warranty, better still. Check out the pictures, excuse the rubbish quality must purchase a better camera.

http://www.a1cooling.co.uk/merc.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom