My wife's 'new' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wow, sorry Bruce. They don't look 20's in the pic. They're plenty big enough then. :thumb:

Lovely motor. With a car that big a trip to IKEA is imminent. :D

They are big. But will soon look bigger. The arches dwarf them. The 4.6's & 4/8's were fitted with the arch extensions which makes them look even smaller. That is being addressed. It also has adjustable height suspension which when lifted up, makes them look even smaller.

I had 24" rims on my last on and it was not nice. Looked great but spent most of its time in Lepsons having the rims welded.

Coincidentally my first kerbed wheel (sniff) is going into Lepsons next week, via MB Ashford. Glad it's them.

Can't see the pics in the OP from my app (Tapatalk), will check the web. Sounds an interesting vehicle. My neighbour bought a new X5 with an impressive electric towbar for his Jetski.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 2017 W222 S350d SWB AMG Line Premium Plus
* Ashford, Kent & Mons, Belgium
Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

These wheels could do with a refurbish from Lepsons (just round the corner) but I must resist.

It's always the same. I buy a car. Then immediately start 'fixing' every single thing little thing that I think needs fixing. Each fix, then highlights another fix, and the list grows as quickly as my wallet empties.

At least you'll end up with a car that's exactly as you want it . Since you know yourself well, can't you factor that in where​ you're buying the car? e.g. the price is X and it's going to cost me 1.3X

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least you'll end up with a car that's exactly as you want it . Since you know yourself well, can't you factor that in where​ you're buying the car? e.g. the price is X and it's going to cost me 1.3X

It all starts out like that. Then goes down the pan withing about 5 minutes of taking possession. Before it even arrives, my mind starts to tel me what 'mods' I could do. My mind start to develop pictures of me driving it with all my 'mods'. Then reality hits, when the car arrives minus my mental mods.

. Do you mean the picture you have of the car in your mind when you looked at it, prior to purchase, is very different after? I'm ashamed to say the only mod I've ever put on a car is a set of fake, golden lambswool seat covers on a gold Ford Granada 2.3L V6 in the 1980s! Once, I could be seen pushing that up the A23 It was a heavy car.

25mm Hub Centric on the fronts and 30mm Hub Centric on the rears. Happy with the handling, look and stance. And they turned the car into Black & White.

Last edited:
Going to refurb the existing rims (powder coat)

Any thoughts on colour?

The car is gloss black. Rims are currently silver.

I do not want Matt or Black. To be honest I'm not unhappy with silver. The calipers are yellow. I will keep that.

Maybe a bright metallic silver?

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

Black X5 with greyish wheels (or gold as I have seen) will look rapper or dealer IMHO

If the missus is happy with that, fair enough

Silver, brilliant or otherwise in my view (as you asked)

BMW offer Ferric Grey alloys as an option Bruce. They're like a darker shade of metallic silver. Check out the colour and see what you think. Shouldn't be hard to match.

Ant.

The car is gloss black. Rims are currently silver.

If it were me I'd keep it exactly like that.

Don't get the black wheel thing personally. To my eyes it makes the wheels look 2 inches smaller in diameter and 2 inches narrower.

From a distance they look like they're caked in brake dust/are black steel cheapos/have been nicked.

I've got a brand new dog guard & a set of new BMW front pads if you need them. I loved my 4.6is & the (ex) bread knife still runs an E70 4.8. Great cars.

25mm Hub Centric on the fronts and 30mm Hub Centric on the rears. Happy with the handling, look and stance. And they turned the car into Black & White.

Does this not pay havoc with the geometry? Reason I ask, is I wanted to do exactly the same on the ML but was told the measurements have to be the same all the way round (in the same way you shouldn't run staggered set ups on 4x4s) as it's 4 wheel drive :dk:

Looks lovely BTW and I wouldn't go any darker than gunmetal grey on the wheels. Black would be a bit much and the grey would be a nice touch and highlight the coloured calipers really well. :thumb:

Abb said:
Does this not pay havoc with the geometry? Reason I ask, is I wanted to do exactly the same on the ML but was told the measurements have to be the same all the way round (in the same way you shouldn't run staggered set ups on 4x4s) as it's 4 wheel drive :dk: Looks lovely BTW and I wouldn't go any darker than gunmetal grey on the wheels. Black would be a bit much and the grey would be a nice touch and highlight the coloured calipers really well. :thumb:

X5's are designed to run staggered wheel set ups. From memory the fronts run a 275 45 20 and the rear is a 315 40 20.

ML's are designed to run equal set ups. An X5 is piss poor off road for this reason. An ML can still hold its own off road.

E63AMG said:
I've got a brand new dog guard & a set of new BMW front pads if you need them. I loved my 4.6is & the (ex) bread knife still runs an E70 4.8. Great cars.

Wow. I just bought a dog guard from eBay and member Zipdip collected and delivered it for me.

Looking for the load cover?

Yes I will have the pads please. Just let me know how much?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

I had the wheels stripped and powder coated in a chrome finish by a local company 'Macnealy Brown' in Sittingbourne. This is the second set of wheels that they have done for me now. I am impressed. The chrome was at risk of looking too bling but actually comes out looking like.....well, err,........ Chrome. I like it.

Last edited:
brucemillar said:
I had the wheels stripped and powder coated in a chrome finish by a local company 'Macnealy Brown' in Sittingbourne. This is the second set of wheels that they have done for me now. I am impressed. The chrome was at risk of looking too bling but actually comes out looking like.....well, err,........ Chrome. I like it.

Yeah the yellow is certainly out there Bruce!

The chrome though I like as it's not really chrome... it looks highly polished. Very nice! How much did they charge for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom