MY2010 C350 CDI Inconsistent Acceleration, is MAF Cleaning Possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gibsonk

Car
Mercedes
Hello All,

A quick query to see if its possible to clean the MAF's on a C350CDI, i know they are fixed to the intake and cost around £500 to replace.

My reasoning behind this is my acceleration seems to pull really well at times and you get that gut feeling of the torque then it doesn't seem to have the same surge, this can be in the same journey.

After i had the car a little while i thought i felt this, but just put it down to my imagination, recently i fit the Brabus box and still have the same feeling of a mountain of torque at time then quiet a bit less at others.

What i have noticed is when i changed my air filters the end of the Clean Air intake was very slightly oily and if you rubbed it your finger was dirty, this is the plastic mesh after the air filter and before the MAF's.

If this is dirty i expect the MAF's will be too, could this cause the sensation under acceleration.

I have scanned the car a few times using CARLY For MB, other than a code for circuit 15r and Audio20 Fan ( NTG4 has been retrofitted by the previous owner) i have no codes.

This could all be my imagination but it seems to me there is a definite difference at times.

I am very cautious messing with the MAF's if they go pop after a squirt with MAF cleaner its a big bill of £500.

Any thoughts on if they can be cleaned or on my acceleration thoughts.

Thank you in advance...

Before attempting to clean the MAF sensor, try unplugging it to see if the performance is affected.
If it is, the MAF isn't faulty. I haven't read of any success cleaning a MAF sensor.

All MAF`s on any vehicle are designed to clean itself after turning off the ignition. So many volts go through the wire to burn off any traces of crap ready for the next journey.

Did you get the air filters adapted on STAR after changing them?

Some say a lot of twaddle but i have had mine adapted each time i change them and it makes a lot of difference.

All MAF`s on any vehicle are designed to clean itself after turning off the ignition. So many volts go through the wire to burn off any traces of crap ready for the next journey.

Did you get the air filters adapted on STAR after changing them?

Some say a lot of twaddle but i have had mine adapted each time i change them and it makes a lot of difference.

No I did the filters myself, I didn't realise they needed adapting.

I am clutching at straws with the MAF I just can't think of anything else that would cause the sensation of reduced acceleration.

Don't get me wrong even when it feels to have a loss of torque it still leaves most things in the distance, it may be me Imagining the issue but it just seems quite noticeably different sometimes.

Maybe a trip to my local Indy to see if they can help.

Update on this one, not driven my car for a few days and had a 180 mile run today.

The car on a whole seemed to pull ok, however, I did notice 3-4 times that when accelerating seems to pull ok up too 3.5k then a significant jump in power (feels like a VTEC, MIVEC kicking or coming onto boost in and pulls really well to the red line, not a diesel trait lol.

Did this several times, then seemed to be really consistent throughout he Rev range.

I am puzzled by this, can’t get to my indie for a little while.

Wondering if its now port shut off valve or egr giving me grief, I did have a leak from the Turbo inlet seal onto the motor.

Think I may try the resistor trick to disable it and try unplugging the MAF

I did a code check the other day and it was all clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could well be, still no codes though, scanned it again last night

Just had the car scanned by my Indie using Star and no codes at all, quite confused what going on now

On the V6 diesel you should get a light up on the dash if it is anything turbo related.....limp mode etc.

Perhaps you are on the verge of limp mode?

How many miles is the motor on?

On the V6 diesel you should get a light up on the dash if it is anything turbo related.....limp mode etc.

Perhaps you are on the verge of limp mode?

How many miles is the motor on?

I am expecting limp mode anytime soon, it’s done 79k

I redline mine at least once everytime i drive it , seems to keep the crap at bay.
They do thrive on them being used well as you found out after going over 3.5k.
What fuel do you use as i use shell nitro all the time?

I push mine most journeys, the torque surge with the D6 is addictive. I try and only use V-Power or BP Ultimate, occasionally it gets Supermarket fuel if I get caught out, but I try and avoid it as much as I can

My Zafira 1.6 petrol simply will not run on BP ultimate properly .....it is similar to kangarooing when going slow.

Get the indy to adapt the air filters while you are there.

No, adaptation reset after air filter change

That definitely sounds like the turbo actuator they all go wrong eventually

That definitely sounds like the turbo actuator they all go wrong eventually

I hope so, that’s a cheap and easy fix. For the price I may well have mine refurbished, new motor and gears is only £50, can get a complete unit for £120 ish

Hello All,

A quick query to see if its possible to clean the MAF's on a C350CDI, i know they are fixed to the intake and cost around £500 to replace.

My reasoning behind this is my acceleration seems to pull really well at times and you get that gut feeling of the torque then it doesn't seem to have the same surge, this can be in the same journey.

After i had the car a little while i thought i felt this, but just put it down to my imagination, recently i fit the Brabus box and still have the same feeling of a mountain of torque at time then quiet a bit less at others.

What i have noticed is when i changed my air filters the end of the Clean Air intake was very slightly oily and if you rubbed it your finger was dirty, this is the plastic mesh after the air filter and before the MAF's.

If this is dirty i expect the MAF's will be too, could this cause the sensation under acceleration.

I have scanned the car a few times using CARLY For MB, other than a code for circuit 15r and Audio20 Fan ( NTG4 has been retrofitted by the previous owner) i have no codes.

This could all be my imagination but it seems to me there is a definite difference at times.

I am very cautious messing with the MAF's if they go pop after a squirt with MAF cleaner its a big bill of £500.

Any thoughts on if they can be cleaned or on my acceleration thoughts.

Thank you in advance...

hi , sorry i cant reply to youre for sale ad or pm you !!!!!! wondering if the sat nav dvd's are still for sale ?
thanks yuri 07729077177

I'd change your fuel filter - an easy option first in case its choked or dirty.. then maybe look at the lambda probe (Mines a diesel) and used to stutter and jump when cold (I never noticed the lack of power..) but recently got mine changed and Boy! does that make a difference.. No Stuttery jumping etc and its off like poo off a shovel..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom