Mysterious cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveskeggy

Car
S55 AMG
Hi.
I have been stripping the top of the engine in my S55 AMG so that I could have the heads re-furbished and the valve stem oil seals replaced.
I also relaced the timing chain, shoes, water pump, oil pump and oil pump chain.
I started doing this at the end of 2017, I took photos, and labled all of the cables and hoses, I had to put a halt to it when the weather got too cold, as the car is 2 foot too long to fit in my garage.
Unfortunately, not long after starting the rebuild last year, my health took a turn for the worse, and I was unable to work on the car for most of last summer.
I got quite a lot of work done towards the end of the year, but had to pack up again when it got cold.
This year, I have nearly completed the build, however... Pretty much all of the labels that I carefully placed, have either disintergrated, fallen off, or the permenant marker I used turned out to be not permenant.
With a bit of common sense, using the internet, and my copy of WIS and EPC, I have figured it all out, except for this one cable.
I swapped the steering rack as well, so the cable "May" be from that, but I cant remember if I plugged that one back in.
There is a cable that runs from the back of the engine, to just behind the alternator, then it splits, I think one of the offshoots goes to the cylinder block (Oil level sensor?) which was not removed, the other is the cable that I cant quite figure out, it is fairly long, long enough to reach the back of the engine, or the middle of the front.
I think it will be a cable that is used on most, if not all m113/m112 engines, so it will probably be there on an S500.
If anyone can help before I go searching on the cold concrete, I will most appreciate it.
Thanks
Steve
This is where the cables come from, the red arrow is the cable I cant work out, the yellow cable is the one that goes to the block:

img_2494.8317
https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/media/img_2494.8317/

This is the plug on the end of the mystery cable:
img_2496.8318
https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/media/img_2496.8318/

What colour are the wires in the plug ? It may be easiest to plug in Star Diagnosis and let it tell you which sensor / etc is missing !
R

OK.
There are 3 wires.
Blue/Green
Blue/Yellow
Yellow/Green
(Where the first colour is the primary colour, and the second colour is a stripe)
I dont have a STAR machine, I have an Autel, because the Autel works in other cars.
I dont know if either machine would be a help, as the engine is not finished and running yet.
(Not a lot to do, just a few hose clamps, drain the fuel tank of old fuel and feed it some more, refill with coolant, and he should fire up.)

As far as i am aware the only 'senors' towards the lower rear of the M113 are the sensors on each primary cat ant the oil level sensor. The other 'rear' sensor is the crank sensor which is fed from the top left had side (looking forward) . get power to the car, not having the cat sensors or oil level sensor plugged in will not stop it from firing up.

Thanks.
Today I crawled underneath and ruled out the steering solonoid on the rack, and the oil level sensor on the block.
The cat sensors are round, and I know where they are.
I think the only way is to put fresh fuel in the tank and start him up.
The engine turns over fine, the ignition is all built up, and as it worked before, there shouldnt be a problem.
I dont have the exhaust front pipes fitted yet, so starting him up will wake the neighbours!

Update.
Not the MAP sensor.
Engine now running on tickover for a couple of seconds, will finish rebuilding the cooling system tomorrow so that I can run it for longer.

Update.
Seems to be something to do with ABC, so is redundant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom