Mysterious Water Leak in Front Passsenger Footwell W124 E320 Cab

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scillyisles1

Water has been appearing in the front passenger footwell and soaking the carpets. Car had been into Mercedes Benz world for bodywork to front wing and rear floor panel.
The ususal suspects of windscreen side drain channels and underfloor drain grommets were clear as were the centre drain channels in front of the windscreen wiper assembly.
However I noticed that the centre rubber covering had not been placed over the wiper assembly and air intake to the heater/ac correctly after heavy rain. Fixed this and dried car out - tested with hosepipe etc - no leaks. Put carpets back and used the car in the dry to find that after a while carpet became wet again even though no rain.
Cause is the condensed water drain hose from the air conditioner box is perished completely and condensed water is draining down passenger side of the transmission tunnel into front passenger footwell.
I would imagine most cars with a/c will have this problem.
HTH:thumb:

Would it be possible for someone more image posting technical than I to post images here of these crucial drain areas to be kept clear please?

Hi, I’m trying to get my head around this problem as I have similar water ingress in my W124. Water appeared in the passenger foot-well after heavy rain, but not as I drive around day to day with the Air-con running continually in the background.

As I understand it water can enter via the Air-con/heater inlet vent if the water drains in front of this intake by the wiper motor are blocked.

Once it is within the heater/Air-con unit it should drain via the drain pipes on either side of the transmission tunnel. (I need to locate these pipes on the underside of the car).

These drain pipes can become blocked, disconnected or perish. Then the water flows into the respective foot-well.

Am I missing something here.:dk:

Hi, I’m trying to get my head around this problem as I have similar water ingress in my W124. Water appeared in the passenger foot-well after heavy rain, but not as I drive around day to day with the Air-con running continually in the background.

As I understand it water can enter via the Air-con/heater inlet vent if the water drains in front of this intake by the wiper motor are blocked.

Once it is within the heater/Air-con unit it should drain via the drain pipes on either side of the transmission tunnel. (I need to locate these pipes on the underside of the car).

These drain pipes can become blocked, disconnected or perish. Then the water flows into the respective foot-well.

Am I missing something here.:dk:

On my CLK w208 230cab

For those interested, the fan motor and regulator that sit below the glove compartment where removed (20 min job) after a blocked drain had forced the rain water into the box it sits in and flooded the moter and footwell.

Took both to a mechanic who looks after my vans who gave them a clean and a general service and fan is working fine, did not want to take money for it but gave him £30 drink.

30 mins to put everything back so in total no more than 1.5 hour job saving minimum £150 DIY or £400 dealer, on this one I'm a happy bunny :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom