Mystery Object

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Anybody know what the structure in the pic is and the purpose?

(Hint: There are two of them and they cost £250k.)

Last edited:
Is it a crossing for some kind of animal that likes climbing? :D

Actually, it looks like powerlines with a net under them in case they break.

Squirrel crossing?

is it for caterpillars?

The last time I posted something similar it turned out to be a bat guide so I'm guessing it must be an animal crossing of some sort.

Yep. It is one of two "bat bridges" built over the A38.

Glad to see our taxes are well spent.

Interesting .............

The two so-called "bat bridges" on the Dobwalls bypass are to help the protected creatures use their sonar to find their way to their roosts.

Previously they followed a line of hedges which were removed for the road.

The bridges are to stop them from becoming confused as a result of the hedges' removal and help them continue to fly their usual route

BBC NEWS | England | Cornwall | Bypass wings it with bat bridges

I regulary throw things at the bats in the garden (usually a tennis ball) to watch and marvel at their in built radar :crazy: But then I am kind of "bat crazy" myself :eek:

Last edited:
I always look at the bats coming out of my roof and think to myself that if I just stand underneath it is a bit like a never ending clay pigeon trap....

Try a tennis ball and watch them home in on it, only to back off centimetres away when they realise it isnt a tasty moth !!

bat_moth.gif

Last edited:
Yep. It is one of two "bat bridges" built over the A38.

Glad to see our taxes are well spent.

At least they won't drop concrete blocks on the vehicles passing underneath like some of the more feral denizens of our big cities.:crazy:

Interesting .............

I regulary throw things at the bats in the garden (usually a tennis ball) to watch and marvel at their in built radar :crazy: But then I am kind of "bat crazy" myself :eek:

Actually you're not alone :eek: I've been doing this for years with scrunched up crisp packets...good fun isn't it? :)

(Hint: There are two of them and they cost £250k.)

The cost is outrageous, these usually go in on a brand new road so no major road closure issues. I really can't see more than 15K in the structure, how the hell do they get to £250K :eek: ...ahh, maybe its the consultant's fees :wallbash:

The cost is outrageous, these usually go in on a brand new road so no major road closure issues. I really can't see more than 15K in the structure, how the hell do they get to £250K :eek: ...ahh, maybe its the consultant's fees :wallbash:

Sounds most likely to me. But the more they build the cheaper the unit cost becomes. :)

If they build 10 of those, then each one may cost ~£40k, but that wouldn't have grabbed the headlines.

Bats are supposedly quite intelligent I believe, surely they can work out how to negotiate a road, they do after all have wings.

I regulary throw things at the bats in the garden

I had to quote that, almost as good as my comfort statement!

Which part of Midlothian ( my birthplace-Eskbank) are you from?

An update on the effectiveness of these fine and expensive structures:

Bat bridges cost £27k per animal

"Two bridges built to help bats' flight paths as part of a £54m bypass in Cornwall are costing up to £27,000 per animal, highways chiefs have admitted.

The two so-called "bat bridges" at Dobwalls, costing £300,000, were built so the animals could find roosts after hedges they had followed were removed.

The Highways Agency said they were used by between 11 and 17 animals each day."

BBC NEWS | England | Cornwall | Bat bridges cost £27k per animal

Our taxes are indeed well spent.:wallbash:

Talking of holes in walls and mystery objects.........................

where was this taken from?

Spike.jpg

Was it taken from a camera?......I'll get my coat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom