Mystery part found

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRBC43AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 1999 C43 AMG saloon "Grandma" (sold), Ultima Sports Can-Am (sold)
I need some help identifying a part I found. Yesterday I was removing the glove compartment lid on my C43 and the left hinging arm fell inside and behind the dash :mad: So I proceeded to dismantle the centre console, then ashtray and related parts. I also used that time to clean out the years of dust, crumbs and other stuff which manages to get into the cracks. What was my surprise to find 2 MB key fobs (the emergency thin one and a normal one). They probably are from the vehicle but I haven't tested them out yet as the battery is out and the key bob battery is dead. Indeed, when I purchased the 43, it came with one normal key fob and a more modern smaller fob which hasn't lived up to the wear and tear as all the plastic surrounds around the push buttons are crumbling away. I was totally mystified on how those two keys got to be inside that area :dk:
However, while looking around there, I noticed a small piece of plastic with a cog wheel on one end. It has the name SIDLER on the clear plastic side and a number 1381 stamped on the cog wheel. Anybody knows where it comes from? I tried to Google the name and number but came up with a blank.
Thanks for any pointers :thumb:

Last edited:
Looks like a rotary damper, for making things like glove compartments and ashtrays open smoothly. Does it turn but with some resistance?

Also used in Volvo 850 and BMW 7er, it seems. I've had a quick look at the ashtray and IP for your car in EPC, but can't see it as a separate part.

Last edited:
Yes exactly. Very smooth with a damped feeling. Now perhaps I need to look at the ashtray to see if the part come from there. I will get back later after checking it out.

Thanks Troon, your indications were spot on :thumb:.
It was the ashtray cover "brake". I put it back in and.... bingo, perfect and I'm a happy man :D
I also found out also that the ashtray even has two of them: one for the dash cover and one for extracting the ashtray itself after you release the little lever under the lighter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom