Mystery vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tikw2124

Car
2002, W203 C Class 270 CDI Avantgarde Tiptronic, COMMAND, Phone
Hi all, got a strange vibration/buzzing which appears to be emanating from the Top centre screen vent (Pear shaped one). Normally appears when gently accelerating not when revs have settled. Took out the screen vent and the center face vents but as most of you will be aware, there isn't much in there to vibrate or rattle. I am thinking it must be tranmitting from some other location, possible engine bay!

Would be glad of any pointers or if anyone else has had these symptoms and how they cleared them.

Many thanks

Been there, done that!

I'm still working on this rather annoying problem.

Things I have tried that proved to be fruitless:

Remove entire centre console
Remove upward facing dash grill
Raise dash and re-tighten bolts either side

I was thinking of spraying a little lube down the back of the dash where it meets the windscreen in the hope that it may lubricate what ever is vibrating. May be another waste of time though...

Must admit, i haven't got to that stage yet. You don't think it could be coming from area of engine bay bulkhead and transmitting up through the vent? You're right, it is bloody annoying. As a last resort, i am contemplating cuting a length of garden hose off over weeek-end and drive with it stuck in ear and hover free end over the dash area to see if i can trace it!!!

Check the wiper mech is secure too.

Must admit, i haven't got to that stage yet. You don't think it could be coming from area of engine bay bulkhead and transmitting up through the vent? You're right, it is bloody annoying. As a last resort, i am contemplating cuting a length of garden hose off over weeek-end and drive with it stuck in ear and hover free end over the dash area to see if i can trace it!!!

I would suggest you don't try this unless you have tinted windows :rolleyes:

i have occasional buzzing annoying noise..thought it was the dash or the centre vent..kept thumping it incase that might work untill read in the forum ..someone else had similar..
it was from the rear view mirror..fools the driver in thinkingit is somewhere on dash..

unless of course it is the vent..then please ignore above..

i have occasional buzzing annoying noise..thought it was the dash or the centre vent..kept thumping it incase that might work untill read in the forum ..someone else had similar..
it was from the rear view mirror..fools the driver in thinkingit is somewhere on dash..

unless of course it is the vent..then please ignore above..

Thanks for pointing this out - the noise we are dealing with definitely is not the mirror, I have checked. This is louder than the noise the mirror makes (yes my mirror vibrates very occasionally too :p )

LOL.... would be funny explaining that 1 to the fuzz.....
an earing horn maybe... but not garden hose...

sorry... it just tickled me :crazy:

Does anyone know of a way to get into the dash? I was thinking about removing the glovebox but not sure how much of a job this is...

The vibrating noise continues to irritate me a lot. I may just give in a pay merc to sort it out :-(

I have scouted the net and I think I know how to get the glovebox out. Once my car is back from repairs next week I'll give it a go! I really hope this fixes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom